Confirmed with Link: TYLER TOFFOLI AT 50% for 2024 3rd, 2025 2nd

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
GM’s aren’t necessarily wrong but I think the main reason they add at the deadline is not because it increases their already slim odds of winning a cup. I doubt it changes the betting math by more than 1/10 of a %. They make the move/moves for job security because:

They feel pressure to signal to the owner that they are making moves to win now and sell tickets
They feel pressure from their stars and vets who have no problem throwing their lesser teammates under the bus to win now
They feel pressure from the fans to DO SOMETHING CHEVY (insert every other fan base to their playoff GM too)
Give the people what they want to throw shade on the loss.

Add a few pieces to cover your ass at a minimum and maybe even win a round.

Never underestimate pier pressure effect, and job security when you are getting paid multi million dollar a year contracts.

Not being cynical at all because you do not want to be the GM who stood pat and his teams got bounced in the first round.
Honestly it's a damned if you do and a damned if you don't, if you don't win the Cup . If Chevy makes makes no moves and the Jets get bounced in the first or 2nd round what a shity GM , if he had just made a trade we might have won . If he makes trades and you get bounced in the first or 2nd round what a shity GM because we don't have those picks anymore. Me personally i think you add at least a little if you are having a season like the Jets are especially if the teams around you are adding too .

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
If this is true why do so many GMs spend so many assets every year at the TDL?
Are you saying that all these GMs are wrong?
Wanna know the reason why they do it? They are rewarded for it.

They're commended for overspending for short-term fixes before the playoffs, because there is this consensus that the playoffs determine who the best team is. It is objectively the wrong take, as playoffs have been proven to be mostly about luck, but find me a fan who prefers the President's over the Stanley Cup. Won't be that easy. On the other hand, if your team loses a couple of coin flips in the playoffs, especially in consecutive years, that can be the end of a GM. Therefore, in come the rental trades. A single player added to a hockey team makes next to no difference in statistical terms, but fans demand that they add their shiny toys.

And yes, there are so many GMs who don't deserve their jobs. They consistently do dumb stuff and could probably be replaced by some of the posters here, at least in some respects.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
And yes, there are so many GMs who don't deserve their jobs. They consistently do dumb stuff and could probably be replaced by some of the posters here, at least in some respects.
Do people actually believe this?

I read somewhere that 50% of men truly believe they could land an airliner in an emergency

This is the hockey fan version of this

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
As fans we are on the outside looking in. We have no real idea what it is like being a GM in the NHL. What I do know is when a GMs adds good players to a already good team the first thing the players of that team say is they love that management is investing in them. Are TDL acquisitions more of a message to the players that management is all in so the act of acquiring new players is as much a phycological move for the team moral instead of a actual move to better the team?
What? No. The point is to have Toffoli and Monahan in the top 6 instead of Namestnikov and Perfetti. I'm not sure how you can't see that actual upgrade to the upgrade to the team. That's where the "psychology" uplift comes from. Not the giving away of future assets.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Do people actually believe this?

I read somewhere that 50% of men truly believe they could land an airliner in an emergency

This is the hockey fan version of this

People definitely undersell how difficult a leadership job truly is.

I do think there is suboptimal decisions being made all the time.

I do think having the missing context behind a lot of them would help people understand certain decisions they can't get over because they seem so dumb.

I don't like to just defer to a GM because they automatically make better decisions. But I do like to keep in mind there is what you don't know, and what you don't know you don't know...

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I thought that line looked pretty dang good last night.

Strong games from multiple players, nice to see bones using his roster and keeping guys fresh.

I do hope he gives some of our top guys a couple games off too in this stretch.

Lowry has been a beast for us - hope they give him and Josh a rest.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I thought that line looked pretty dang good last night.

Strong games from multiple players, nice to see bones using his roster and keeping guys fresh.

I do hope he gives some of our top guys a couple games off too in this stretch.

Lowry has been a beast for us - hope they give him and Josh a rest.
Until our position in the standings is locked, I can't see them doing that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad