Confirmed with Link: Tyler Pitlick Signs one year contract

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
We aren't a legit cup threat, we continue to spin tires in the basement because we don't bring enough competition for spots. There is no reason not to bring guys in to be pushing for spots, especially when guys like Fehr aren't just 4th liners. He is a 15 minute a night player on a playoff team.

I don't even think I understand your point. Do you think you should just toss away prospects like Pitlick because they won't be high impact players or are you saying that the Oilers lack of success is because their #13 forward has not been good enough. If either is what you are claiming then I completely disagree.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't even think I understand your point. Do you think you should just toss away prospects like Pitlick because they won't be high impact players or are you saying that the Oilers lack of success is because their #13 forward has not been good enough. If either is what you are claiming then I completely disagree.

My point is why are we holding spots for fringe NHLers that will probably clear waivers and if they don't you can get a replacement quite easily. Bring competition in and if Pitlick is the better player then you make room for him

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
That fehr isn't a 1 million dollar player sorry to burst your bubble

Hate to burst your bubble, but it's the 17th of July guys are going to start taking a lot less money than they are worth. Even if he costs 2mil I really don't care.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
My point is why are we holding spots for fringe NHLers that will probably clear waivers and if they don't you can get a replacement quite easily. Bring competition in and if Pitlick is the better player then you make room for him

Pretty much every good 4th liner and many of the better 3rd liners were exactly those sort of players at a similar time in their career. What had Fehr done at 23? What had Hendricks done at 23?

But you also seem to underestimate the cost of signing guys like Fehr. ou may get lucky and sin one guy like him for $1M at 1 year in a year where the cap is relatively flat and teams have little space, but as I have said if you follow your model history shows you are going to pay a lot more for similar players than you will for home grown talent. It may not seem like much but if you are tight to the cap like the Oilers might be in 3 years an extra $1M might be very important.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Pretty much every good 4th liner and many of the better 3rd liners were exactly those sort of players at a similar time in their career. What had Fehr done at 23? What had Hendricks done at 23?

But you also seem to underestimate the cost of signing guys like Fehr. ou may get lucky and sin one guy like him for $1M at 1 year in a year where the cap is relatively flat and teams have little space, but as I have said if you follow your model history shows you are going to pay a lot more for similar players than you will for home grown talent. It may not seem like much but if you are tight to the cap like the Oilers might be in 3 years an extra $1M might be very important.

Who cares about 3 years from now. I'm talking about the now. Where we try build the best team we can to help bring this team out of the gutter.

Are you suggesting we wait 3-4 more years on a guy like Pitlick? Age really shouldn't matter here. You simply shouldn't be wasting a roster spot on a guy because he might do something in a year or two from now. That kind of management results in what we've seen the past decade.

To put it in simple form, there is zero reason to waste picks and time developing 4th liners and bottom 6 d-men. If the guy doesn't have potential to be more you get rid of him.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Who cares about 3 years from now. I'm talking about the now. Where we try build the best team we can to help bring this team out of the gutter.

Are you suggesting we wait 3-4 more years on a guy like Pitlick? Age really shouldn't matter here. You simply shouldn't be wasting a roster spot on a guy because he might do something in a year or two from now. That kind of management results in what we've seen the past decade.

I actually care about three years from now because I seriously doubt replacing Pitlick with Fehr makes much difference in how this year turns out. But no I am suggesting that you give your own prospects time to develop. We have people here saying that Draisaitl and Nurse should be in the minors next year so as not to rush them. Yet you are advocating that as soon as a prospect like Pitlick shows signs of turning the corner you cut him lose and then go out and spend even $2M on a guy like Fehr. You can do it this year if you want. But when do you stop making moves like that? When you are up against the cap but because of this sort of thing you have no one in your system who is NHL ready?

The attitude of many here is that guys like Khaira, Yakimov, Slepyshev, Pitlick, Davidson etc are a dime a dozen and can just be tossed when their ELC's are up. If this team does become a contender this is very dangerous because you are not correct that you can just go out and sign good vets cheaply. Maybe none of these guys turns out. But if one or more does that is crucial in a capped era. Look at the contributions Chicago got from their cheap late draft players.

For the record, I don't know if Pitlick will make the Oilers this year or if he ill ever become a regular. But he looked pretty good before getting hit. He is fast, is a solid fore checker and hits like a truck.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I actually care about three years from now because I seriously doubt replacing Pitlick with Fehr makes much difference in how this year turns out. But no I am suggesting that you give your own prospects time to develop. We have people here saying that Draisaitl and Nurse should be in the minors next year so as not to rush them. Yet you are advocating that as soon as a prospect like Pitlick shows signs of turning the corner you cut him lose and then go out and spend even $2M on a guy like Fehr. You can do it this year if you want. But when do you stop making moves like that? When you are up against the cap but because of this sort of thing you have no one in your system who is NHL ready?

The attitude of many here is that guys like Khaira, Yakimov, Slepyshev, Pitlick, Davidson etc are a dime a dozen and can just be tossed when their ELC's are up. If this team does become a contender this is very dangerous because you are not correct that you can just go out and sign good vets cheaply. Maybe none of these guys turns out. But if one or more does that is crucial in a capped era. Look at the contributions Chicago got from their cheap late draft players.

For the record, I don't know if Pitlick will make the Oilers this year or if he ill ever become a regular. But he looked pretty good before getting hit. He is fast, is a solid fore checker and hits like a truck.
I don't see pitlick as turning that corner. I see an injury prone 4th liner. If he shows well in camp then you keep him around, but by no means is he a guy that you are afraid to waive.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I don't see pitlick as turning that corner. I see an injury prone 4th liner. If he shows well in camp then you keep him around, but by no means is he a guy that you are afraid to waive.

If he does not have a good camp you waive him. I am fine with that.

It's not like there are no vets to compete with. This team has Purcell, Hendricks, Letestu, Korpikoski and Klinkhammer in addition to younger guys like Lander and Pakarinen and Gazdic who will be competing for various roster spots. It is even possible that we see someone else like Miller, Yakimov, Chase or Slepyshev make the team. No one is giving any of these guys spots.

Pitlick is at the right age to get a shot as the #13 forward or on the bottom six. If he takes the next step great. If not you can then look at cutting him loose.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
One of the best energy guys when he is playing. Great emotion and speed. This guy really has a strong future if healthy. I've gone to games where he is the best Oiler.

Who's he going to beat out? It'll be very hard for him to crack the lineup.

Top nine is:

Hall, McDavid, Eberle, Roy, RNH, Yak, Drai, Lander, Kopikoski/Purcell

All fighting for the fourth line: Hendricks(lock), Letestu (lock), Klinkhammer, Gazdic, Pako, Pitlick.

Factor in that we are very likely to start with 8 D men and Pitlick is a guy who starts this year in the AHL. I just don't see it being him on the team. Having said that, of course the Oilers website has him on the active roster!!:laugh:

Should be a fun camp. He's going to be flying to get that spot as will a few others. Nice to see for a change.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
is the guy injured yet?? Saw the bump and assumed the inevitable.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00