Confirmed with Link: Tyler Pitlick (SEA) to Flam for 4th Round Pick (2022)

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
we haven't acquired a top 6 forward yet and that's my issue with the trade. Pitlick is an acquisition you make to round out your roster..its not the first move you make in the offseason when bottom 6 is a much lower priority than Top 6 , Defence and Back up goalie..

Contending teams rarely start a season with six top six forwards and four top four defensemen. They have their horses to carry them through the season, and they acquire the final pieces as rentals. This is also how you assess the talent of youth.

Let's assume there is a plan to go with something like

Gaudreau - Lindholm - Tkachuk
Monahan - Backlund - Mangiapane
Dube - Ruzicka - Phillips
Lucic - Gawdin - Pitlick

As your top 12 ( don't worry about these line combos too much, it'll take some real tinkering to get balanced lines. ).

Dube, Phillips, Monahan, Ruzicka and Lucic might all be question marks, but most teams' middle six are question marks. If anything, a stable 4th line and a stable 1st line are the only two things you can reliably predict. The former, because top scorers year-to-year get the PP icetime to stay consistent. and confident, and the latter because their role doesn't require scoring.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Because a 3rd is a huge overpayment for a 29 year old 4th liner with 280 games under his belt that has one year left on his contract where he's getting paid $1.75M.
I swear... Treliving is sometimes like my wife with an Amazon gift card in her hands... she can't wait to spend it even if its for something not needed or can be bought elsewhere cheaper.
Paying a 4th is better than a 3rd but I would be happier still if it was a 5th.

I mean.. maybe this guy will turn out to be an everyday player and rock solid on the 4th line... but I don't see it. Calgary will be his 5th team since he started hanging around for more than a cup of coffee back in 2016-2017.

Huge overpayment is a 3rd and a young defenseman for an ancient Duncan Keith at full price. I just don't see how a 3rd for Pitlick would be 'insanely stupid'. Regular stupid maybe but that's it.

Pitlick's problem has always been staying healthy. He produces reasonably well for a primarily defensive forward. Good wheels and very tough to knock off the puck, he fills a need here.

Reactions: Nanuuk

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Thats great value for flames, only a 4th. Other GMs should rush down a midpick package for some of Seattkes D men. Great value

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Contending teams rarely start a season with six top six forwards and four top four defensemen. They have their horses to carry them through the season, and they acquire the final pieces as rentals. This is also how you assess the talent of youth.

Let's assume there is a plan to go with something like

Gaudreau - Lindholm - Tkachuk
Monahan - Backlund - Mangiapane
Dube - Ruzicka - Phillips
Lucic - Gawdin - Pitlick

As your top 12 ( don't worry about these line combos too much, it'll take some real tinkering to get balanced lines. ).

Dube, Phillips, Monahan, Ruzicka and Lucic might all be question marks, but most teams' middle six are question marks. If anything, a stable 4th line and a stable 1st line are the only two things you can reliably predict. The former, because top scorers year-to-year get the PP icetime to stay consistent. and confident, and the latter because their role doesn't require scoring.
Monahan will be playing left wing? Since when? Not saying I wouldn't like to see him tried out there but if it hasn't happened yet in his almost 600 games with the Flames I don't see it happening now.

Edit: maybe he has played a few minutes here and there on the LW but I certainly don't remember them.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Monahan will be playing left wing? Since when? Not saying I wouldn't like to see him tried out there but if it hasn't happened yet in his almost 600 games with the Flames I don't see it happening now.

Edit: maybe he has played a few minutes here and there on the LW but I certainly don't remember them.

Literally the last game of the season

Monahan moved to wing to make room for Gawdin | Calgary Sun

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Can't be any worse than Nordstrom was
Just listened to some Pat Steinberg, and he basically said that Pitlick is what Nordstrom was supposed to be. A defensive forward, who can hit, and still pot some goals, while not really costing us games.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
All I know we need more ex-Oilers or ex-Coyotes grinders to turn this ship around.

Pitlick checks both boxes, so cant complain.

Reactions: TheHudlinator

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Right wing depth? Check
Now Brads just got to make sure Sean’s healthy and then we’re a Gudbrandson signing away from being ready for next season, boxes are all checked.

Alex Edler or Marc Staal to replace Gio on LD, Brandon Dubinsky or Tyler Bozak to replace Derek Ryan and I'll start feeling confident about the next season.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Don’t get all the flack with this, it’s a 4th round pick and we very much needed a guy like him. So many overreactions, no 4th round pick is going to be in a deal for a topline player.
A lot of us are thinking the Flames could have gotten similar for free as a UFA for less than $1.75M

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
A lot of us are thinking the Flames could have gotten similar for free as a UFA for less than $1.75M

Who though? Look at the ridiculous deals Hyman and Coleman are getting. Not saying Pitlick is that good, but he’s a guy that the Flames coveted and they basically dealt a future that has a 10% chance of ever playing an NHL game for a useful player. I like that he only has 2 years term as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad