Tyler Myers

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
I don't trust a 6'7 man who has had that many surgeries below the waist over the last year and a bit to remain consistently healthy. I need to see it happen.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I don't trust a 6'7 man who has had that many surgeries below the waist over the last year and a bit to remain consistently healthy. I need to see it happen.

What is the evidence that tall players have more health issues than shorter players?

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
The only variable we've had in predicting injuries is those with higher hits per minute tend to have higher man games lost, even when trying to remove enforcers or those with a penchant for fighting from the sample.

Airsmail

Nov 7, 2016
Winnipeg
The only variable we've had in predicting injuries is those with higher hits per minute tend to have higher man games lost, even when trying to remove enforcers or those with a penchant for fighting from the sample.

Not doubting your data, but having trouble understanding it.

I would have thought that it would be the total hits that would correlate better? If Buff plays 30 minutes, and is involved in 10 hits (1 every 3 minutes), and Petan gets on for 8 minutes and is involved in 4 hits (one every 2 minutes), I would expect, all other things being equal, that the player with the most total hits, Buff, would be more susceptible, not the one with the higher hits per minute but lower total hits.

Also, I would have thought that previous man games lost to injury and also age would also be predictors of future man games lost. Any truth to this?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
OK, so it's not the New England Journal of Medicine but I've also heard that being very tall can cause issues.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/7-ways-heigh-affects-your-health_us_5783ad23e4b0344d51500c3d

Even so, the ideas were mostly ergonomic like having to bend over at work or falling further. Conversely, bigger players don't get squished as often as small players or take as many head shots.

If we are using single player anecdotes as "evidence", I'll counter with Perreault and Chara.

Also, since Garret indicated that hits per minute was the only variable associated with injuries, maybe we can assume that height is not.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Even so, the ideas were mostly ergonomic like having to bend over at work or falling further. Conversely, bigger players don't get squished as often as small players or take as many head shots.

If we are using single player anecdotes as "evidence", I'll counter with Perreault and Chara.

Also, since Garret indicated that hits per minute was the only variable associated with injuries, maybe we can assume that height is not.

You might think that for the same reason (height) they will get hit more in the lower body, thus having more lower body injuries.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb

If we are using single player anecdotes as "evidence", I'll counter with Perreault and Chara.😀

But there was this one line:

Professional athletes, for one, know the consequences of this phenomenon all too well: Towering players, Truumees says, tend to have higher rates of injury and take longer to recover than their littler teammates.

I would do more exhaustive research but... squirrel! :laugh:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It's pretty common for tall people to have knee and ankle problems in sports. I know a few tall guys that had knee surgeries in high school from playing basketball and football. Have a buddy that's 6'7 and he had to ice his knees after every practice and game in basketball.
One guy I know said his surgeon told him that because of his size his knees and ankles were supporting something like 3 times his body weight so a small amount of force could injure them. He was about 200 pounds then so his knee's were taking on a lot of pressure. He also said tall people are far more likely to get knee and ankle problems from sports.

There was a study done in the NBA that the players 6'9 or taller missed 17.9% of their games due to knee and foot injuries. While players below 6'9 missed only 13%. They also found that players over the 7'0 mark missed 24% of their games to knee and foot injuries.

Although it's not completely conclusive it's pretty common knowledge that tall guys will have knee and ankle issues at a higher frequency. Chara had knee problems, Myers has knee problems, Valabik had ankle surgery, Bishop had knee issues I think, Stanley has already had knee surgery.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Not doubting your data, but having trouble understanding it.

I would have thought that it would be the total hits that would correlate better? If Buff plays 30 minutes, and is involved in 10 hits (1 every 3 minutes), and Petan gets on for 8 minutes and is involved in 4 hits (one every 2 minutes), I would expect, all other things being equal, that the player with the most total hits, Buff, would be more susceptible, not the one with the higher hits per minute but lower total hits.

Also, I would have thought that previous man games lost to injury and also age would also be predictors of future man games lost. Any truth to this?

Sorry, age and man games lost are also.
I wasn't thinking of those, as I was foolishly thinking of that as a given, but it should not be.

As to the ice time thing... I don't know why per ice works better than aggregate, but they both work.
It may be due to the fact that ice time is not always consistent from one year to the next? Aggregate still works though, as the two are interlinked.

Interestingly enough, those same players tend to also have faster WAR/82GP falls after their peek. Adjusting for 82GP removes the impact of man games lost, but it could be that those players perform worse in the games they do play due to playing through injuries.

In the end I will say this:
The extent of the research here is very small and not very specialized.
There's a lot of confounding variables with injuries and recovery.
I could definitely see the extremes (small and large) showing different results with better research, especially when accounting for other variables.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012

Did you just compare Myers to Chara? :laugh:

Chara is known as a work out freak and no major injuries I know of.

Most of you who are complaining didn't comprehend what I said. There may/may not be conclusive evidence that being tall would make you more prone to injury. But being taller is going to effect your recovery. Surgery is going to weaken the muscles around the effected area and the fact is even the surgeons don't know how those muscels will recover especially the smaller stabilizing muscels. If they don't recover the longer limbs and higher centre of gravity puts more pressure on the joints causing a higher chance of more injury. As we have seen with Myers one injury has lead directly to another as per the Jets.

It's possible for a full recovery but these injuries have been known back to his Sabres days and they are continuing today.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeffsrig

Jan 27, 2015
Innisfail
Can someone help me understand Myers's value? If he wasn't late (cheap) in his front loaded contract and the Jets having cap space to burn but at 5m I don't see his presence as value added to the current roster. Provided trouba signs/extends whatever I see Myers in a different colored uniform before he becomes a UFA to free up capital for ELC forwards.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Can someone help me understand Myers's value? If he wasn't late (cheap) in his front loaded contract and the Jets having cap space to burn but at 5m I don't see his presence as value added to the current roster. Provided trouba signs/extends whatever I see Myers in a different colored uniform before he becomes a UFA to free up capital for ELC forwards.

They will need to sign Trouba first and that is a very big if right now. Also Myers needs a healthy season to drive up his value and that is also a very big if.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
A lot of talk about Myers in the PGT. Thought I'd move it over here....

I'm not a fan of his game and really hope Chevy trades him as soon as he can. I'd keep Buff over him easily. I think he has looked bad in the first three games and I don't think it will get much better. I'm sure a lot of people will say he is coming of his injury and we should cut him some slack. My issue is that imo he looks exactly like before he got injured and just isn't that good. He is tall, has reach and can skate. For some reason that has given him the confidence to think he is a offensive wizard and that he should be making plays in the OZ every time. I actually think he is good at carrying the puck into the zone but from there he seems to mess it up more often than not. I think he lacks hockey IQ and passing skills. He just doesn't make great choices when he has the puck. Oh... and I think he is bad a defending. Yes, I know he stopped McJesus twice but don't think that means anything. Pretty sure I can find footage of Stu breaking up McDavid's play twice if I go through the last two years of footage haha...

I'm sure there are plenty that disagree with me but let the discussion begin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad