Speculation: Tyler Myers 2022

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
I'm seen posts on the main boards about a Vancouver Canucks teardown. I didn't want to try to deal with the braying jackasses there -- Rags trying to get EP for Kakko and a fart. So I thought I'd run this by you guys first.

He's got a big contract -- $6m thru 23-24. I know this. But he's having a bit of a renaissance this year (so I hear). No one's mistaking him for a Norris trophy winner, but he could help stabilize the right side of our defense for a couple of years (while Jiricek or Nemec develops). He might consider waiving his NTC to relive his Calder trophy experience except this time with a talented, building team.

Some 'nucks fans sound like they're ready to throw in the towel. They desperately need cap relief. They also have Mike DiPietro in the AHL who could help us immediately in goal.

I don't typically go for cavoli riscaldati, but should the Sabres make an offer? Pysyk seems to be working out ok for us. Maybe Miller retained, Dell . . . + . . . ?

Thoughts?

Reactions: FunkSoljah

member 334057

I was actually thinking about Myers earlier and whether or not he would be a benefit to the team at this point. His cap hit doesn't really matter to much as they have the space and his contract will be over by the time they need that space anyway. He also seems to be playing fairly well from what I've read, even being a +2 right now on a team with a -14 goal differential which isn't too bad.

I'd be curious what the ask would be and also how much time he spends on their PK because right now they are the worst in the league.

Reactions: Diaspora

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I'm seen posts on the main boards about a Vancouver Canucks teardown. I didn't want to try to deal with the braying jackasses there -- Rags trying to get EP for Kakko and a fart. So I thought I'd run this by you guys first.

He's got a big contract -- $6m thru 23-24. I know this. But he's having a bit of a renaissance this year (so I hear). No one's mistaking him for a Norris trophy winner, but he could help stabilize the right side of our defense for a couple of years (while Jiricek or Nemec develops). He might consider waiving his NTC to relive his Calder trophy experience except this time with a talented, building team.

Some 'nucks fans sound like they're ready to throw in the towel. They desperately need cap relief. They also have Mike DiPietro in the AHL who could help us immediately in goal.

I don't typically go for cavoli riscaldati, but should the Sabres make an offer? Pysyk seems to be working out ok for us. Maybe Miller retained, Dell . . . + . . . ?

Thoughts?
Not sure if we need it. Maybe we could get DiPietro in a simpler deal?

And you need to consider that for sure Dahlin or Bryson probably will play RD next season, plus Joki and the same Pysyk.

Samuelsson - Dahlin
Bryson - Joki
Power - Pysyk

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Not sure if we need it. Maybe we could get DiPietro in a simpler deal?

And you need to consider that for sure Dahlin or Bryson probably will play RD next season, plus Joki and the same Pysyk.

Samuelsson - Dahlin
Bryson - Joki
Power - Pysyk

I think this deal would be in lieu if signing Pysyk. So it depends what the deal looks like -- is Buffalo getting an asset to take on the rest of the Myers contract? What's the delta in value between Myers and Pysyk?

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I think this deal would be in lieu if signing Pysyk. So it depends what the deal looks like -- is Buffalo getting an asset to take on the rest of the Myers contract? What's the delta in value between Myers and Pysyk?
The question is if Myers is a good mentor for young players, if not then I wouldn't risk developing our best prospects.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
No thanks to Myers, I can think of better ways to spend the money; also did this need its own thread or is this the new roster speculation thread?

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
RD UFA this year seems to be slim pickings. If Granato can make Tage a center, then maybe a left-handed RD can be pulled from one of Dahlin/Bryson (I know Dahlin played the right side in Sweden - can't say I trust it in the NHL, tho. Hasn't the poor lad been through enough? Let him stabilize.).

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Given how useful Pysyk has been, I don't even dislike our current d-corps that much, especially once Joki comes back.

Miller has his flaws, but he also has chemistry with Bryson. Hägg - Pysyk have been our best pair defensively at times and Dahlin - Jokiharju have looked like a sensible enough top-pair in the past.

So with everyone healthy we already have three reasonably balanced and functional pairings and plenty of re-inforcements in the system.

I'd rather get Borgen back than Myers.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
Maybe if Myers were a stay-at-home shutdown type, which should be the case given his size and relative good skating ability, but
Myers has been stabilized by OEL. He's still the same player that makes bad defensive reads. He's an offensive dman whose offense has fallen off. Please take him.
says it all. We don't need another doofus back there.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Maybe if Myers were a stay-at-home shutdown type, which should be the case given his size and relative good skating ability, but

says it all. We don't need another doofus back there.

He used to be excellent on the PK but he seems anything but in Vancouver. He's Hal Gill to OEL's late-stage Ray Bourque at this point.

I'm more interested in seeing if Pysyk is affordable going forward and if they can work some of their own people into the lineup rather than going outside and picking up someone on that sized salary who isn't particularly good at anything at the moment.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
No thanks, I don't want to hear references to the Twin Towers when Myers and Power are on the ice.

I notice that I still harbor ill-will toward Oleksiak just because in his draft year it was all about having multiple tall guys. Nothing about him, just was so irritated by the commentary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad