Confirmed with Link: Tyler Motte to Motteawa [1yr 1.35m]

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
If Formenton signs the Motte, Watson and Kelly rotate as 4th line wingers.

Reactions: 2CHAINZ

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Not sure if he's really needed, but its a one year deal. Just worries me that the $1 million spent on him might take away capspace for a defender (assuming Dorion is looking for one)

Reactions: DrEasy and 2CHAINZ

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I dont get understand, wheres he gonna play?
I doubt the team is ready to designate Kelly as an every-day player. And then, of course, there is the Formenton question.

With the moves we've made, Formenton + Zaitsev for a D makes a ton of sense to me, even if we ignore the uncertainty around him.
Third line lw
Best case, we make a trade along the lines of what I said above and Grieg shows he is ready to play. Have Kelly and Motte battle for 4LW. Not saying they will start him at 3LW regardless, but if we are making a run... could be the plan.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
I doubt the team is ready to designate Kelly as an every-day player. And then, of course, there is the Formenton question.

With the moves we've made, Formenton + Zaitsev for a D makes a ton of sense to me, even if we ignore the uncertainty around him.

Best case, we make a trade along the lines of what I said above and Grieg shows he is ready to play. Have Kelly and Motte battle for 4LW. Not saying they will start him at 3LW regardless, but if we are making a run... could be the plan.
Yeah im thinking the Formenton negotiation isn't going anywhere, or like you said maybe he gets dealt

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Yeah im thinking the Formenton negotiation isn't going anywhere, or like you said maybe he gets dealt
Formenton is a tricky one. It seems inevitable that he will be dealt at some point... the question has been, "can we trade him without creating a bigger hole than the one we are filling?". As long as the answer is "no", and as long as he can fit in under the cap on a season-by-season basis, holding onto him makes sense.

Now that we've added Motte, maybe we feel the answer to that question is "yes", and therefore now is as good a time as any to cut bait.
You guys are going pretty off the board here with regards to Formenton. This just seems like a depth move.
Probably, but trading Formenton has always made a bit of sense and this move makes trading him more palatable.

I am not banking on it, but its a possibility.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Formenton is a tricky one. It seems inevitable that he will be dealt at some point... the question has been, "can we trade him without creating a bigger hole than the one we are filling?". As long as the answer is "no", and as long as he can fit in under the cap on a season-by-season basis, holding onto him makes sense.

Now that we've added Motte, maybe we feel the answer to that question is "yes", and therefore now is as good a time as any to cut bait.

Probably, but trading Formenton has always made a bit of sense and this move makes trading him more palatable.

I am not banking on it, but its a possibility.

Motte is in no way a potential replacement for Formenton.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Motte is in no way a potential replacement for Formenton.
No, you're right, that's what Giroux and Debrincat (and eventually Greig) are.

Motte can play 3rd line wing, he can PK, he's a burner. He's not as good as Formenton, but Formenton is a luxury player for us. If we can parlay him into D help, its an option.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad