Proposal: Tyler Johnsson for Picks?

Gubbhornet

Dec 5, 2019
Ok, this should not be cheap for TB obviously. But if Buffalo takes TJ for a couple of picks he would initially be useful as a player for 2 seasons. If Bufallo a new core that you can build around starts to appear after 2 seasons, he only has 1 year left on the contract. If he is still a good player he can the be traded for a pick or prospect.

Considering it's TB a 1st in 22 is probably 25+ OA, so a 1st + 3rd?

Clarifying: All assets to Buffalo, TB only gets cap space.

Last edited:

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Ok, this should not be cheap for TB obviously. But if Buffalo takes TJ for a couple of picks he would initially be useful as a player for 2 seasons. If Bufallo a new core that you can build around starts to appear after 2 seasons, he only has 1 year left on the contract. If he is still a good player he can the be traded for a pick or prospect.

Considering it's TB a 1st in 22 is probably 25+ OA, so a 1st + 3rd?

So you are proposing giving a 1st and 3rd for a player to rent for 2 1/2 seasons, which will be bad seasons, to then flip at the deadline to have a 100% chance of getting back less than a 1st and a 3rd.

That's a move that teams perpetually in the basement make, so they might just do it.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
So you are proposing giving a 1st and 3rd for a player to rent for 2 1/2 seasons, which will be bad seasons, to then flip at the deadline to have a 100% chance of getting back less than a 1st and a 3rd.

That's a move that teams perpetually in the basement make, so they might just do it.
I hope they meant that 1st and 3rd is what we get to take TJ on.

Rastin

Jul 14, 2004
I'd be down for that. In fact, I'd be actively trolling around the league for more of these types of deals after free agency starts rolling. Cap space is going to become REALLY valuable quickly. May be able to grab a few useful players with picks attached.

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Sorry. Picks + TJ -> Buffalo for in exchange for cap space.

That direction makes a lot more sense.

I doubt TB would even consider it though ; they don't really need cap space, since the NHL has fully endorsed signing injured players to game the LTIR system.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Sure seems like the Pegula’s wallet is closed for the foreseeable future.

I am willing to bet we are probably still going to spend to the mid point. Probably still like 10M under the cap, but it'll be higher than the Floor.

I toyed with us sending Eakin + Ruotsolainen to TB for Johnson and Palat. We can flip Palat at the TDL and we'd get two warm bodies in our top 9 and purge Eakin. The issue of course is the NTC for both Johnson and Palat

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
Johnson is still a decently productive player, hampered by injuries and team depth. I'd still think he could be a 40 point guy if given prime minutes and PP time. I by no means want to help Tampa, but if they were to provide picks to cover his salary, I dont think Johnson is as bad as others may think. He has been buried by insane forward depth

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
As others have stated it'd be remote for TJ to waive, but if he did? Yolo as the children say.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Sure seems like the Pegula’s wallet is closed for the foreseeable future.
This. Pegula never really did deals trading money for draft picks like Arizona is doing this year.

What money are they taking on now? Risto and Reinhart out. Haag in ($1.6M cap hit, $1.7M salary). That's it.

Carolina got a 1st round draft pick to buy out 1 year of Patrick Marleau ($6.25M cap hit, $4.25M actual salary). Sure Tyler Johnson is a more serviceable player than Marleau at this point, but Tampa Bay is in a tough spot needing cap space. My ask is a 1st round draft pick for each year left on his contract.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
I would be shocked if Johnson waived to come to Buffalo.

Plus, I wouldn't want to do TB any favors with working around the cap.

I think this line of thinking is counter productive. Same with refusing to trade Eichel in conference. If a deal benefits us, it benefits us. The rest doesn't matter. Sure you use their cap space need to maximize return. But you don't refuse a trade just to spite them. You don't cut off your nose to spite your face.

It's not like we are going to be competing with TB for the cup next season.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
This. Pegula never really did deals trading money for draft picks like Arizona is doing this year.

What money are they taking on now? Risto and Reinhart out. Haag in ($1.6M cap hit, $1.7M salary). That's it.

Carolina got a 1st round draft pick to buy out 1 year of Patrick Marleau ($6.25M cap hit, $4.25M actual salary). Sure Tyler Johnson is a more serviceable player than Marleau at this point, but Tampa Bay is in a tough spot needing cap space. My ask is a 1st round draft pick for each year left on his contract.
It makes me wonder if the Pegulas really want to be here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad