Proposal: Tyler Johnson to the Pens

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
1) Johnson is unsigned, what is he asking for in salary? Does he have the defensive game for a 3C? Can he take defensive zone draws, etc?
2) I doubt that the Bolts and Pens will be trade partners considering that they are likely to cross paths in the playoffs at some point in the next couple years.
3) Maatta is criminally underrated by many.

I am not complaining of value so much as potential fit. I don't think TJ is a good fit for the role we need him to potentially fill.

About Johnson. He's one of the best second line centers in the NHL. Pens being one of the few teams that can say they have one better.

He's legitly a 1st/2nd line center who goes beast mode in the playoffs. He's also solid defensively, not Selke worthy, but solid.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Maatta makes pretty glaring mistakes, but also makes plenty of solid plays. He's a tough one to judge. I am a fan though.

That being said, I would do this deal depending on contract statuses.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I get TB fans not looking at a deal around Maatta and TJ with much enthusiasm. I think he's criminally underrated on these boards - both by Pen fans and by HF in general. But I get TB fans not being interested in him - not the end of the world.

Maatta makes pretty glaring mistakes, but also makes plenty of solid plays. He's a tough one to judge. I am a fan though.

He's a D. Defensemen who make mistakes frequently see those mistakes end up in the back of the net. And if they don't end up in the back up the net, it's probably because the goalie or someone else bailed him out, however the end result is the same - those mistakes are very very obvious. What sucks even more is Maatta isn't the most fleet of foot. Him improving on his turns and first step would make a massive difference - both of these are things he can realistically improve. But with the eye test, it makes things look worse when you see a game end with Ryan powering past him and scoring.

Overall he's significantly better than the eye test says. Especially with regards to his SAT numbers. The fact is a D's job is to defend. One way we try to measure that is with SAT numbers (with the idea that the better the % the less time they're spending in their zone). But when you look at how effective he actually was at helping his team keep the puck out of his net, his numbers were the best on the team. Which means that regardless of what his SAT numbers say, he's still doing his job better than everyone else. And it's not sacrificing offense to do it. The only D with significantly better GF were Schultz and Cole - Letang would have been up there as well. His GF60 was 4th at 3.04.

Letang GP: 41, GA: 31, GA60: 2.54
Schultz GP: 78, GA: 48, GA60: 2.23
Dumoulin GP: 70, GA: 53, GA60: 2.67
Cole GP: 81, GA: 48, GA60: 2.15
Daley GP: 56, GA: 40, GA60: 2.84
Maatta GP: 55, GA: 28, GA60: 2.03
Ruhwedel GP: 34, GA: 16, GA60: 1.93

On a side note, Hainsey had amazing numbers, but I excluded him due to sample size.

Shoofyou10

Apr 30, 2009
The Burgh
I dont think the Pens would trade Olli because his value is pretty low right now. It's easy to forget that the kid is still only 22 years old. If anything you hope he bounces back and then trade him when his value is higher.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
He's a D. Defensemen who make mistakes frequently see those mistakes end up in the back of the net. And if they don't end up in the back up the net, it's probably because the goalie or someone else bailed him out, however the end result is the same - those mistakes are very very obvious. What sucks even more is Maatta isn't the most fleet of foot. Him improving on his turns and first step would make a massive difference - both of these are things he can realistically improve. But with the eye test, it makes things look worse when you see a game end with Ryan powering past him and scoring.

Overall he's significantly better than the eye test says. Especially with regards to his SAT numbers. The fact is a D's job is to defend. One way we try to measure that is with SAT numbers (with the idea that the better the % the less time they're spending in their zone). But when you look at how effective he actually was at helping his team keep the puck out of his net, his numbers were the best on the team. Which means that regardless of what his SAT numbers say, he's still doing his job better than everyone else. And it's not sacrificing offense to do it. The only D with significantly better GF were Schultz and Cole - Letang would have been up there as well. His GF60 was 4th at 3.04.

Letang GP: 41, GA: 31, GA60: 2.54
Schultz GP: 78, GA: 48, GA60: 2.23
Dumoulin GP: 70, GA: 53, GA60: 2.67
Cole GP: 81, GA: 48, GA60: 2.15
Daley GP: 56, GA: 40, GA60: 2.84
Maatta GP: 55, GA: 28, GA60: 2.03
Ruhwedel GP: 34, GA: 16, GA60: 1.93

On a side note, Hainsey had amazing numbers, but I excluded him due to sample size.

Maatta is one of those players where you need a balance of stats/adv stats and the eye test because neither one tell the entire picture.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
How do the penguins think they can afford to sign tyler Johnson who will get 5 to 5.5 per season cap hit ?

If Maatta goes the other way that would be 1-1.5mil in cap space taken up. Pens have that cap space. so.....:dunno:

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
Wonder if Maata can ever get back to his rookie form.. dude has been through a lot. Rooting for him.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Rather go a cheaper route like Thornton or Bozak. You don't need the best option, just the right option or in our case a cheaper option.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Source with this? Because Maatta hasn't had his thyroid for 2 and a half years now, he got it taken out in late 2014.

Stan Savaran said it....

And it can take a long time to balance with meds... my mom had straight up seizures periodically for several years after hers was out... even when they rectified that it was a while before she was feeling normal and even last year she was out of balance again and the doseages needed fixed... its not a simple pop a pill and all is fine situation

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
I'd take this in a heartbeat as a pens fan. Yes, Maatta is young and signed long-term.
But Pittsburgh is built through the middle with speedy wings. Look at the D they put out in the playoffs this year. Maatta's 4mil helps sign Johnson. I'd take it even without Koek-Koek.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad