Tyler Graovac or Erik Haula?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Interesting.

I would pick Haula personally. He's had more success in all of the leagues he's been in, is playing in college and hasn't been as injury prone as Graovac.

It's weird picking against him because I am a Haula fan, but I just don't know where he plays. Obviously not at C, with Koivu and Granlund; if we move him to wing, he has to pass up Zucker, which I don't find too likely. He would be an AHL call up for quite a while.

Graovac, while not as offensively talented, will probably have an easier time finding a spot on the roster. 4th C, 3rd line W possibly even 3rd line C if he continues to progress.

Anyways, I hope we don't have to make this choice.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
I don't see Haula ever getting a significant stretch in the NHL. Not that Graovac will be either, but I think he has a more protectable frame and skill set so that will only help him.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I don't see Haula ever getting a significant stretch in the NHL. Not that Graovac will be either, but I think he has a more protectable frame and skill set so that will only help him.

If he's healthy.

Haula might be a tad smaller (5'10") but he's still a gamer.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
stoner's a big guy. he's injured all the time. there are others. size doesn't equal durability. It certainly helps and in a clean slate situation you'd pick the bigger guy to stay healthy in a contact sport but history counts more than size. i don't recall the specifics of his injuries--if they're odd like taking a leg breaking slash or having a skate blade slice you up then no worries. if they're the kind taken in the normal course of play then...

squidz*

Would have to be Graovac. Haula has certainly come a long long way as a 7th round pick, but as the good doctor says, how does he fit in the NHL? To be top 6, he has to beat out one of Parise/Koivu/Granlund/Zucker. Can he play a bottom 6 role? Even if you look at running 3 "scoring" lines, would he beat out a Brodziak/Larsson/Bulmer/[FA signing]/[newer draft pick]?

Graovac projects more in the line of a bottom 6 player. He certainly has a long way to go before he could play in the NHL. But he definitely fits this team better with his projection and potential. If we were talking about a different team, maybe I'd choose differently. If we were talking about Nashville, I might say that Haula is the better choice. But with the Wild, I go with Graovac 11 times out of 10.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Anybody think Haula might opt not to sign here? Maybe go to a place like Nashville or SJ where the path is a little less clogged? Depending on if the loophole isn't closed in the next CBA, I could see it happen.

squidz*

Anybody think Haula might opt not to sign here? Maybe go to a place like Nashville or SJ where the path is a little less clogged? Depending on if the loophole isn't closed in the next CBA, I could see it happen.

Well he's not going to generate the same interest that Schultz did. He's in a bit of a tough spot in that regard. Legally, other teams couldn't let him know if there's interest, but without significant reassurance that interest is out there, can he really risk leaving his parent club (unless the Wild tell him they're not going to sign him)? I think the Schultz situation won't be repeated here. If anything, we'd probably work out a trade for his rights.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Well he's not going to generate the same interest that Schultz did. He's in a bit of a tough spot in that regard. Legally, other teams couldn't let him know if there's interest, but without significant reassurance that interest is out there, can he really risk leaving his parent club (unless the Wild tell him they're not going to sign him)? I think the Schultz situation won't be repeated here. If anything, we'd probably work out a trade for his rights.

It would be a minor risk on his part, but I have to believe there would be interest from some of the shallower organizations. Definitely not Schultz-type interest, but JT Brown-type interest maybe.

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
Graovac for me. I don't see Haula getting a chance in the big league. Graovac might get one if he progressed in his development like this season.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Would have to be Graovac. Haula has certainly come a long long way as a 7th round pick, but as the good doctor says, how does he fit in the NHL? To be top 6, he has to beat out one of Parise/Koivu/Granlund/Zucker. Can he play a bottom 6 role? Even if you look at running 3 "scoring" lines, would he beat out a Brodziak/Larsson/Bulmer/[FA signing]/[newer draft pick]?

I think he could beat out Bulmer personally. Bulmer might end up on the 4th line.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Graovac is a very mature kid. I talked to him over the phone for the Wild Prospect Handbook and he clearly just loves to play hockey. If I am going to spend a 7th round pick, thats the type of pick I want to spend it on, even if he isn't as skilled.

Nice thing that he is also skilled too lol

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
I'd take Haula. More personal exposure to him and he's really progressing more than I thought when he first started...his biggest knock was consistency last year and looks like he's licked that one. May not end up any better than Mittens but he's closer to that than Graovac is to anything IMO.

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota
Graovac seems like he could become a player..and he's a sizable kid up the middle.

Haula is a dime a dozen prospect IMO..

as for 7th round picks they are both gems though

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
I would pick Haula at this point, and it's not a hard choice for me.

Haula has an all-around game that will fit somewhere at the NHL level.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
I feel like they play different games, so you have to look at what the teams needs are. Graovac I feel like if successful, could be a good power/big guy on the 3rd or 4th line, maybe fill in for Brodziak in the future. Haula, on the other hand is more of a skill guy, playmaker. Which we may already have in another guy, such as Larsson or Phillips, so might have to sign a Graovac, just based on team needs

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota
I would pick Haula at this point, and it's not a hard choice for me.

Haula has an all-around game that will fit somewhere at the NHL level.

So your saying he will be capable of playing a checking role in the NHL??

Because the ONLY way he is playing a top 6 role with the likes of Heatley, Koivu, Coyle, Granlund, Zucker, Phillips, Larsson,Lucia and future FA signings around is if he plays on another team.

He will never play top 6 for the Wild. And I don't think he is capable of being a sandpaper guy in the bottom 6. Even if he develops that part of his game who is he going to beat out? Larsson, Bulmer, Zucker are WAY ahead of him not only in development of everything else but also that grittiness that it takes to be a bottom 6 guy in the NHL.

On top of that he isn't an above average skater like a Darrol Powe, Stephane Veilleux type..are those guys great players? Not really but they can skate which sets them apart from the other checking forwards and gives them a chance to play in the league..

Haula is at best a minor league semi-scorer just like a Kris Foucault type without the grittiness of Foucault even..think Chad Rau.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00