Prospect Info: Tyler Biggs?

abdew29

Aug 4, 2011
Toronto
I wanted to discuss about Tyler Biggs. What happened to him? What is his status at this point? What is his ceiling? Can we/will we see him with the big club? It would be great if the HFB Leafs fans with more knowledge about this past Marlies season and his performance could shed some light.

Last edited:

CalgaryLeaf*

I wanted to discuss about Tyler Biggs? What happened to him? What is his status at this point? What is his ceiling? Can we/will we see him with the big club? It would be great if the HFB Leafs fans with more knowledge about this past Marlies season and his performance could shed some light.

I haven't watched him in the AHL but the reports are not good...Apparently he was scratched from the lineup for some playoff games...not a good sign.

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
Leave him down there to develop and forget about him. Revisit in 2 years. That way we can temporarily forget the fact we traded 2 picks to get this guy and passed on better alternatives.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Still young and he still have upside. Most likely he have a career as a defensively sound and protective 4th liner who peaks as a solid 3rd liner. But if he can just find his offensive game that he had prior to getting drafted he could end up better then that.

An increased role on the Marlies next season will tell us a bit more how he is progressing.

Either way I am happy with the pick even if he ends up being just a Shawn Thornton. Need guys like that as well.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Nylander can turn into a bust. When you draft kids it will always be a tossup. TO took a chance on the kid and it didn't pan out. **** happens but at the time it looked like a good move. No complaints.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I don't know how this guy went in the first round.

****ing Burke.

If you look at the most recent drafts there is one or two guys just like Biggs who goes 20-30th each year. That size with that untapped offensive potential is just to good to ignore. Not saying you should pick a guy like that every year but every know and then you need a prospect with size, who can fight, skate and score at a young age. Then time will decide if it was him being able to dominate against kids sized kids or if he is the real deal. Most of the times these picks are not the real deal but you still have to take a chance. And some said Biggs was the safe pick :)

SarcazemKadri

Feb 15, 2012
Toronto
All the tools to be a solid third liner who can pop in 10-15, hit, fight, protect, shut-down..

Problem is: he's as dumb as a brick.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
If you look at the most recent drafts there is one or two guys just like Biggs who goes 20-30th each year. That size with that untapped offensive potential is just to good to ignore. Not saying you should pick a guy like that every year but every know and then you need a prospect with size, who can fight, skate and score at a young age. Then time will decide if it was him being able to dominate against kids sized kids or if he is the real deal. Most of the times these picks are not the real deal but you still have to take a chance. And some said Biggs was the safe pick :)

I'm not lambasting him for picking him, I'm criticizing the unnecessary effort put into picking him.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
All the tools to be a solid third liner who can pop in 10-15, hit, fight, protect, shut-down..

Problem is: he's as dumb as a brick.

tumblr_m9p3zbTzOx1qmvixgo1_500.jpg

stanleyorbust

Nov 29, 2009
Anyone who expected Tyler Biggs to be a Milan Lucic, Cam Neely, or Jeremy Roenick type of player was serious miss-informed and will be very disappointed. Being drafted in the first round unfortunately means some fans expectations of him are beyond reasonable.

Tyler was drafted to a bottom size forward with size and contribute offensively. He had the size, the smarts, and the grit to be a good 3rd line power forward. Somewhat like a Clarkson type of player (the 30 pt Clarkson, not 30 goal Clarkson).

The fans claiming him to be a bust point out that he is not dominating the AHL offensively. They claim that he is playing the 3rd line and not living up to expectations.

What they fail to realize is that the leafs are grooming him for a bottom 6 position. Hes taking defensive zone starts, he is asked to play a third line / difficult to play against style role. Hes on the PK, hes creating some offense, hes hard on opposing players. They are not putting him on the #1 line on the Marlies and asking him to score 40 goals. Sure he had some games he was sat, but most NHL players have been sat a game or two in their careers especially early on.

I think Tyler is far from a bust at this point.. We just need to reassess our expectations for him.

getyourselfsomerest

Jul 22, 2011
I haven't watched him in the AHL but the reports are not good...Apparently he was scratched from the lineup for some playoff games...not a good sign.

Well, he did get the flu and lost about 15 pounds. I don't know when in the playoffs he caught it so I don't know for how many games he was a healthy scratch.

I still think he has a future in the league. He was picked too high, Burke should never have traded up for him, but his defensive game is good and he'll be give a chance at a top line role this year with D'Amigo gone and Holland and Ashton with the Leafs.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Burke had to have this guy. Traded our first and second to move up to get this guy. One of those pics to Ana turned out to be Gibson the goalie. We have a great goalie but 'true assets' are what we need, not some cement heads. Burke was horrible at the draft table and this was a complete waste of a draft. That is why when people look at our prospects you see them say how we are devoid of skill. What a waste!

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
I watched just about every shift he played this past season with the Marlies.
The trolls are just trolling and don't watch him play. He's a good hockey player.

He was often buried on the 4th line, which is frustrating, but at the same time not a 'bust', but just a matter of his development curve. Keep in mind that at the start of this past season, Sam Carrick was an ECHL player hoping for 4th line minutes.

He's got a powerful stride which gives him deceptive North-South speed on the ice. On most nights he would easily be the strongest player on the ice as well. He can muscle his way on to the puck very effectively and protect it with his body extremely well. He's got solid net drive and crafty hands to chip shots to the net. He's not a purely dirty goal scorer. He can pot some pretty ones on good deflections. He's intimidating and physical.

His game will translate very well to the NHL level. His ability to protect the puck in particular helps immensely in the defensive zone. He is a smart player. Good hockey IQ. The trolls who tell you otherwise are not watching.

His potential in the NHL is tough to gauge. Management a couple years ago saw 2nd line potential in him, and i do believe that is still very much a possibility. He'll play a 2nd/3rd line AHL role this season and put up bigger numbers, which will cause the fans here to take more notice. He'll play a 3rd AHL season almost for sure as well. He's likely to break into and stay in the NHL by around age 23-25.

He'll earn his stay at first with limited minutes and probably be used on the PK. His creative offensive flair will earn him opportunities for more. There's a real good chance he settles in as a dependable 20 goal power forward with solid defensive end awareness who can play the 2nd or 3rd line. With his basic defensive skills and strong puck possession however, his floor is still as a valuable 4th line shut down guy who plays the PK.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
will be 21 all next season. hardly a time to give up on a guy. This past season was his first in the A. This coming season is a big one. He's a big dude, and those guys often take longer to develop.

This is a classic scenario where fans say "we need to be like the Wings and let guys develop". Then when a guy isn't a stud in the A at 20 everyone goes "buuuuuuust".

Last edited by a moderator:

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
IIRC he played most of the season low in the lineup and then got a short stint in the top 6 and played well. I still think he can be a 3rd liner for sure but he does need more time in the AHL and a bigger role. At worst he's a Bodie type 4th liner in the NHL. A guy who's physical, can skate fairly well, put up some points and fight when necessary.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
I watched just about every shift he played this past season with the Marlies.
The trolls are just trolling and don't watch him play. He's a good hockey player.

He was often buried on the 4th line, which is frustrating, but at the same time not a 'bust', but just a matter of his development curve. Keep in mind that at the start of this past season, Sam Carrick was an ECHL player hoping for 4th line minutes.

He's got a powerful stride which gives him deceptive North-South speed on the ice. On most nights he would easily be the strongest player on the ice as well. He can muscle his way on to the puck very effectively and protect it with his body extremely well. He's got solid net drive and crafty hands to chip shots to the net. He's not a purely dirty goal scorer. He can pot some pretty ones on good deflections. He's intimidating and physical.

His game will translate very well to the NHL level. His ability to protect the puck in particular helps immensely in the defensive zone. He is a smart player. Good hockey IQ. The trolls who tell you otherwise are not watching.

His potential in the NHL is tough to gauge. Management a couple years ago saw 2nd line potential in him, and i do believe that is still very much a possibility. He'll play a 2nd/3rd line AHL role this season and put up bigger numbers, which will cause the fans here to take more notice. He'll play a 3rd AHL season almost for sure as well. He's likely to break into and stay in the NHL by around age 23-25.

He'll earn his stay at first with limited minutes and probably be used on the PK. His creative offensive flair will earn him opportunities for more. There's a real good chance he settles in as a dependable 20 goal power forward with solid defensive end awareness who can play the 2nd or 3rd line. With his basic defensive skills and strong puck possession however, his floor is still as a valuable 4th line shut down guy who plays the PK.

They traded up to get the guy. I really don't care what you saw but trading up in the first round should make you better than a 4th liner. One of those pics will be a franchise goalie-get the drift?! Waste of pics again!

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
I feel as though his play style lends itself exceptionally well to being Gauthiers winger.
Time will tell.

They traded up to get the guy. I really don't care what you saw but trading up in the first round should make you better than a 4th liner. One of those pics will be a franchise goalie-get the drift?! Waste of pics again!

I'd rather have the frightening combo of Gauthier and Biggs size, defensive skill, and chippy hands shutting the door on the competition and scoring that big moment goal or delivering that game changing hit than have Anthony Mantha pinch along the boards allowing an odd man break the other way for yet another goal scored against.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
he needs to play well (or decent) this upcoming season in the AHL or we can officially label him a bust.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Burke had to have this guy. Traded our first and second to move up to get this guy. One of those pics to Ana turned out to be Gibson the goalie. We have a great goalie but 'true assets' are what we need, not some cement heads. Burke was horrible at the draft table and this was a complete waste of a draft. That is why when people look at our prospects you see them say how we are devoid of skill. What a waste!

this kind of comment is just the dirt worst. Like you should be flagged in some manner when something like this is posted.

did you have access to the Leafs draft ranking at the Biggs draft? Do you know we were looking at Gibson? We could have easily taken some other plug that was taken further down.

This past draft Anaheim took Marcus Pettersson at 38 . Don't wait three years to make a hindsight comment. is he better or worse than Holland? The answer is you have no idea and you have no idea who Toronto would have picked at 38. so stop making yourself look foolish.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad