Tyler Biggs: Bust or Developing

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
It's been 2 years now since Biggs has been drafted. How well do you think his development has progressed, and is it early to decide whether he is a bust?

I've followed a few Marlies games this season, watched a couple live as well, and he really didn't impress me. To be honest, he was probably the worst player on the ice.

I don't want to start a riot over this, but just wanted some input on what you guys think. At this point in time, does he actually seem like he'll make the NHL some day? Like he'll actually develop into a great young forward? :help:

Edit: I don't understand what's all the hate about.. I just asked a simple question, no need to get all butt hurt about it. There's a reason i'm asking for opinions and not trying to persuade you that he's a bust, my goodness. All I meant to say is he was nothing special from the games I saw, so unless I missed something, I wanted INPUT to clear my doubts. Get a grip on yourselves.

Last edited:

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
He's about as polarizing of a figure on this board as probably Phaneuf.

I personally love him, and think he's progressing fine for a PWF who simply hasn't had time to adjust ANYWHERE (he's played with a different team for like 4-5 years now).

Others just don't like him, and haven't since day 1.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Bust for sure, he's played 0 NHL games and has 0 points? Wtf, not something you want out of a first round draft pick.. :sarcasm:

Well you can't really expect someone doing bad at the current level to magically do good at an even higher scale where there's more pressure. :shakehead

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
I think it takes them longer to grow into their body's. You gotta gain mass but you also need to learn to do it properly so it takes more time IMO. It's better to take your time with these guys so they can work on that strength and their other weaknesses and have them come in more complete players.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
If biggs does make the jump some day, the line I envision is

Gauthier - Colborne - Biggs

Seems like a solid 3rd line if you think about their size (and if they can learn to be physical)

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
It's been 2 years now since Biggs has been drafted. How well do you think his development has progressed, and is it early to decide whether he is a bust?

I've followed a few Marlies games this season, watched a couple live as well, and he really didn't impress me. To be honest, he was probably the worst player on the ice.

I don't want to start a riot over this, but just wanted some input on what you guys think. At this point in time, does he actually seem like he'll make the NHL some day? Like he'll actually develop into a great young forward? :help:

Interesting that you "followed a few Marlies games this season" and "watched a couple live"... Considering Biggs was in Oshawa for the whole year and played only 4 games at the end of the year in the AHL I doubt you saw the entirety of that small sample size. Maybe he was the worst player because he wasn't even on the ice?

IMHO, between seeing two of the Marlies games he was in, the WJ's and the occasional Friday night televised OHL game... Biggs looks good.

When we drafted him, he was projected as a 3rd line winger with an outside shot to be a top 6 guy. He skates, hits and fights very well. He's got decent defensive instincts and a good shot. Where he seems to be lacking is hands-wise and overall offensive creativity. He's a north-south guy who can grind you down.

He didn't look out of place in his role at the WJ's or playing alongside Boone Jenner. I'd say he's right on track to become a 3rd line winger. If he plays well this year with the Marlies I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a few callups late in the year.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
What the...? So now you're a bust if you're not playing in the NHL by age 20.

Did you even read what I said? I'm asking if you guys think it's too early to decide if he's a bust since after watching some games in the AHL, he looked like the worst player on the ice.

And you don't have to play in the NHL to know your a bust. If you can't even do well at a lower tiered league, what makes you think they'll be so much better under greater pressure. Sure he's just 20, but you'd expect a first rounder to be doing at least decent in the AHL :rant:

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Didn't show as an allstar after 5 AHL games, must be a bust. If you can't get it together within your first hour of pro ice time, you obviously don't have what it takes.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Interesting that you "followed a few Marlies games this season" and "watched a couple live"... Considering Biggs was in Oshawa for the whole year and played only 4 games at the end of the year in the AHL I doubt you saw the entirety of that small sample size. Maybe he was the worst player because he wasn't even on the ice?

IMHO, between seeing two of the Marlies games he was in, the WJ's and the occasional Friday night televised OHL game... Biggs looks good.

When we drafted him, he was projected as a 3rd line winger with an outside shot to be a top 6 guy. He skates, hits and fights very well. He's got decent defensive instincts and a good shot. Where he seems to be lacking is hands-wise and overall offensive creativity. He's a north-south guy who can grind you down.

He didn't look out of place in his role at the WJ's or playing alongside Boone Jenner. I'd say he's right on track to become a 3rd line winger. If he plays well this year with the Marlies I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a few callups late in the year.

Oh thanks for letting me know. Yeah sorry, like I said, I made my judgement on those games he's played ahha. He barely got ice team, but then again, he was falling all over the ice and was pretty slow.

Oh well, we'll see where he goes next season.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
One of my favorite prospects. He's the type of guy you always want on your team. Good defensively, has a bit of offense in him, and isn't afraid to stick up for teammates.

It sucks we traded up to get him, but I really like his whole package.

Bodangles

Jul 21, 2010
Kingston, ON
Did you even read what I said? I'm asking if you guys think it's too early to decide if he's a bust since after watching some games in the AHL, he looked like the worst player on the ice.

And you don't have to play in the NHL to know your a bust. If you can't even do well at a lower tiered league, what makes you think they'll be so much better under greater pressure. Sure he's just 20, but you'd expect a first rounder to be doing at least decent in the AHL :rant:

This is a joke, right? You watched the first 4-5 games Biggs played in the AHL? Oh great, let's base our analysis on your uninformed interpretation of that. You're the worst kind of Leafs fan. I guess the fact that Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry each spent 2 years at the AHL level means they're busts. The fact you're even using the word bust while discussing Biggs is asinine. Get real.

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
What the...? So now you're a bust if you're not playing in the NHL by age 20.
yeah man, logan couture didnt play until later, he was a bust right? i think i forgot

i have a short attention span and if a player doesnt make the team after he's drafted
we should trade him, duaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaapppppppppp

because development and believing in players
is pointless

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
he just finished his junior eligibility, we'll all have a better idea of where he is after a training camp and first pro season. Hell he still hasn't burned his contract yet has he? still 3 full elc years I think. Why should he be written off even if he looked bad that's still 3 years of development time he has with the Leafs system to turn it around.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Severely underrated. We want to be signing Clarkson, and yet we have a power forward in our system that plays a solid two-way game. Once Tyler Biggs is ready, most are going to love him.

MrPiff17

Bay St. Bullies
Feb 22, 2009
the 416
Severely underrated. We want to be signing Clarkson, and yet we have a power forward in our system that plays a solid two-way game. Once Tyler Biggs is ready, most are going to love him.

Agreed, but Biggs still needs a bit more developing, but once he's ready, I truly beleaf that he will be one of the best picks in that draft.

Clarkson is 29, a vet we need on the 2nd youngest team in the league, he can be a very nice stop gap for now. Plus I always love a hometown guy.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

Give him time!! Like you said 2 years since is draft! think about that. Just think about that for a few minutes, are you really expecting a late first round pick to just develop in 2 years? It takes time for these kids to grow into their bodies, and just learn more and more. I don't understand why we get these threads Unless you're a top 5 pick 2 years or more is pretty normal when waiting for a pick to make an impact. Gauthier won't be ready for 4 years at least so don't bother making a thread about him two years from now...thanks.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

Why can't we have both Clarkson and Biggs? You seem to say that if we have one then the other isn't welcome. Clarkson can play on the 2nd line and Biggs on the 3rd once he gets here.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Why can't we have both Clarkson and Biggs? You seem to say that if we have one then the other isn't welcome. Clarkson can play on the 2nd line and Biggs on the 3rd once he gets here.
I guess that can be done. However, I think Kulemin needs to be given a chance in the top six as well. The fact that he has produced well when utilized in an offensive role suggests that he's being poorly utilized.

I'd rather have Clarkson on the shut down line:

Colborne - Bolland - Clarkson

Bolland has produced 50 points before in this role. If Colborne can produce in this role, we'll be deep.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
Biggs is way down in the Marlies depth chart and hasn't looked good. I predict he spends at least half of next season in the ECHL.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005

dj smith in oshawa recomends another year of junior for biggs ,,,,we ll see ..4th line on the marlies is no place for a 1st rounder .....

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
It is not looking good right now for mr.biggs...and i'm not sure it ever was.

He was just a bad pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad