98.5 The Sports Hub Ty Anderson: It Turns Out Don Sweeney Is Real Good At This

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
As for Sweeney I'm a big fan of what he was done to this point. This is the summer To hit a honerun trade wise to push the team over the hump. Ultimately his tenure will be remembered for championships.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
As for Sweeney I'm a big fan of what he was done to this point. This is the summer To hit a honerun trade wise to push the team over the hump. Ultimately his tenure will be remembered for championships.
Sweeney gets it

I told you Lou I was out last week with the Apostles talking hockey and it’s the first time the 6 of us agreed on anything- Donny Hockey has his shit together

Wait till some posters here find out the Bruins had 112 points

Bwhahahaha

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I think not enough is said about Neely and Sweeney being so late to the speed game. We're still paying the cap price for their obsession with size. But I'm willing to say that's heavily on Neely too.
Great point - I got a couple of friends saying this verbatim

Neely is 50 and I can relate you just don’t adjust as quick to what’s happening around - I like having kids around because I’m not sure I’d be able to figure out half the stuff in my house

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
I agree but you're selling C Miller short.

I think he is a top ten player on Vegas, and that is why it stings for some people.

C Miller is by far the worst defender on Vegas. Dime a dozen player , another guy that HAD his chance in boston and sucked here and in my view still does in a different uniform.

Reactions: kdog82

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
As much as I think Sweeney is good (and going to be better) as GM, what people fail to bring up is his BIG gamble in exposing Colin Miller & Malcolm Subban ... losing them for nothing.

Subban would actually still be perfect here. Considering we are trying to find a backup right now. His numbers aren't much different than Khudobin's last season, all things considered, I would have at least given him a chance in the beginning of the season. Vegas took him on potential alone, something they wouldn't have done with Khudobin. Had Subban sucked or gotten injured (like he did), Khudobin would have been a quick call up.

Colin Miller has his shortcomings, but adding another offensive minded defenseman could have been useful when the team was having trouble scoring in the playoffs. K. Miller was adequate, but you could easily make arguments why you should have kept the younger player. Considering Vegas snatched Subban up quickly, wouldn't have been surprised if he was their second choice in the expansion draft had we protected C. Miller, and then we would have had both Miller's and only lost Subban.

But that's all hypothetical at this point anyways, just seems like we handed Vegas TWO young players. At least we weren't Florida.

PS. This isn't downplaying any of Sweeney's other accomplishments, just speaking specifically about the handling of those two players.

Last edited:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Subban would actually still be perfect here. Considering we are trying to find a backup right now. His numbers aren't much different than Khudobin's last season, all things considered, I would have at least given him a chance in the beginning of the season. Vegas took him on potential alone, something they wouldn't have done with Khudobin. Had Subban sucked or gotten injured (like he did), Khudobin would have been a quick call up.

Colin Miller has his shortcomings, but adding another offensive minded defenseman could have been useful when the team was having trouble scoring in the playoffs. K. Miller was adequate, but you could easily make arguments why you should have kept the younger player. Considering Vegas snatched Subban up quickly, wouldn't have been surprised if he was their second choice in the expansion draft had we protected C. Miller, and then we would have had both Miller's and only lost Subban.

But that's all hypothetical at this point anyways, just seems like we handed Vegas TWO young players. At least we weren't Florida.

How do we know one of the other 29 teams wouldn't of had interest in Khudobin?

We'll see what happens to Subban. Both him and Oscar Dansk are RFAs this summer (assuming both get re-signed) and unless Vegas choose to carry 3 goaltenders next season, one of them is going on waivers in October. It could very well be Subban.

This is what happens to borderline NHL goaltenders, of which that is all Subban has proven to be thus far.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Re: Colin Miller, I liked him and would have liked him to stay, but I also ask myself how would I have liked watching the Bruins defense with him back there and not Miller? Not so much. McQuaid would have played regularly, and we likely would not have seen Grizz. The way things turned out, we in effect traded Colin Miller for Grizz, and I would much prefer Grizz over Colin if I had to choose.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
How do we know one of the other 29 teams wouldn't of had interest in Khudobin?

We'll see what happens to Subban. Both him and Oscar Dansk are RFAs this summer (assuming both get re-signed) and unless Vegas choose to carry 3 goaltenders next season, one of them is going on waivers in October. It could very well be Subban.

This is what happens to borderline NHL goaltenders, of which that is all Subban has proven to be thus far.
That's all hypothetical, too. But considering age, and his previous years output... at that time would have been a hard sell arguing Khudobin was on anyone's specific radar. At the time, Khudobin hadn't had a good NHL season since 2014. At the time, another credible poster stated, the Bruins were highly disappointed Subban was picked up and they thought they could slip him through waivers. And Vegas wasn't the only claim.

Subban literally played 2 NHL games for the Bruins until they decided he wasn't good enough. Albeit he was awful in them, that is a small sample size.

Either way, Subban could be on waivers next year, we'll see. And Khudobin might not even be here either. Subban was on Vegas' radar, so perhaps they won't let him go as easy. Maybe we can take a flier on Dansk and return the favor.

All water under the bridge at this point, I just hope Sweeney is a little more cautious during the next expansion draft. At this point this is all just nit-picking. But what the hell else are we doing in the summer anyways.

Reactions: BruinDust

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
T
Subban literally played 2 NHL games for the Bruins until they decided he wasn't good enough. Albeit he was awful in them, that is a small sample size.

Yeah, and he played plenty in the AHL and was up and down there, too. It's not as though the Bruins exposed him to waiver with only two games of evaluation.

Reactions: BMC

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
Yeah, and he played plenty in the AHL and was up and down there, too. It's not as though the Bruins exposed him to waiver with only two games of evaluation.

Funny though, because his AHL numbers were better than Khudobin's?

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Funny though, because his AHL numbers were better than Khudobin's?

The Bruins were pretty clear they wanted to keep Malcolm, but also that he needed to have an opportunity to make the big team last fall. He didn't win the job in camp, Khudobin did, so Subban got exposed. It isn't like he was the second coming of Martin Brodeur and they totally f**ed up here. They'd seen enough of the guy between NHL starts, camps, and AHL work to not want to hand him the backup job. Now he's riding the bench in Vegas. Anyway, I don't see how Sweeney gets faulted for losing Subban.

And yep, it's summer, so what the hell else are we going to do with the Bruins until the entry draft comes along :laugh:

Reactions: BMC

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
That's all hypothetical, too. But considering age, and his previous years output... at that time would have been a hard sell arguing Khudobin was on anyone's specific radar. At the time, Khudobin hadn't had a good NHL season since 2014. At the time, another credible poster stated, the Bruins were highly disappointed Subban was picked up and they thought they could slip him through waivers. And Vegas wasn't the only claim.

Either way, Subban could be on waivers next year, we'll see. And Khudobin might not even be here either. Subban was on Vegas' radar, so perhaps they won't let him go as easy. Maybe we can take a flier on Dansk and return the favor.

All water under the bridge at this point, I just hope Sweeney is a little more cautious during the next expansion draft. At this point this is all just nit-picking. But what the hell else are we doing in the summer anyways.

I not sure what else Sweeney could of done. It appears the GMs who cut all these side deals to avoid Vegas taking certain players were the ones who really got bamboozled.

From the sounds of it most GMs the next expansion draft are going to take the same approach as Sweeney, just concede they are going to lose a decent player and be done with it. Doubtful you'll see the type of side-wheeling and dealing McPhee was able to take advantage of.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
I am a fan of Don Sweeney. Not only is he a smart hockey mind, but he puts the time and effort in to the job...especially on player evaluation. The year of the 2012 lockout, I saw him at the Ryan Rink in Watertown, which up until this year was where Bentley played their games. I just happened to be there after work - and who do I see in the stands? It was Big Sween. My buddy and I went right up to him and asked him what the hell he was there for. There was this kid Brett Gensler who scored 50pts the year prior and he was their to scout him...on his day off. It was pretty funny...I asked what he thought of Gensler - and he shook his head and said he was terrible. But, he sat through the game and took notes on a few other players.

All GMs make mistakes, but at the end of the day you look at this team and its 112 points, the infusion of youth and leadership, the coaching staff and you have to feel pretty good. He has some MAJOR challenges coming up as the core continues to age, but I think Sweeney is the right guy for that challenge.

Reactions: Dr Hook

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Once Sweeney’s young gun wave becomes dominant, there won’t be such a need for the pro transaction. Problem fixed.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Here is what I posted about Colin Miller in March of last year:

Chiller looked really good last night until he got booted. Been a huge fan of his since he arrived and still maintain that he is going to be a very good player in time. Drove me nuts last year when he was being sat and not allowed to develop properly. Drives me nuts this year when he is in the press box. The kid simply needs to get games in and has no business being sat out. He has improved quite a bit since he got here and I think he still has a ways to go before he reaches his ceiling. He has a lot of tools and could definitely end up being a solid top-four d-man by the time he peaks, if not sooner.

I certainly believed then that Miller had a lot of upside and could do well in time with the right opportunity. Having said that, I have no issue with DS' decision for the expansion draft. As much upside as Miller has offensively, he is still not very good defensively. The Bs don't have a problem with puck movement now that they have McAvoy, Gryz, and Krug. Was Chiller going to beat out Krug or McAvoy for a spot? Highly doubtful. There is no question in my mind that protecting more defensive-minded d-men was the right choice for the team at the time the decision was made.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Whoever drafts them gets the credit.......Sweeney has a LONG WAY to go to match what Chiarelli did for this organization. .A long way to go....

Doesn't work like that. Chia's best attribute as it comes to drafting was letting the ones that knew how to scout players and saw them live make the choices. Chia's forte was player relations.

Reactions: DKH and Pay Carl

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I wonder if this is even a possibility... truly curious if they'll even be in the running.

I think Tavares agent will listen to all callers. The more interest in his client, the more leverage he`ll have I "think"

I believe ultimately JT wants to remain an Islander and with Lou Lamorillo there now, reason to believe there will be a bit more trust and stability within the organization and he`ll re-sign there.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad