News Article: Two women say Reid Boucher solicited photos of them when they were teens

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
There are likely many, many instances of players that have been doing this or did it in the past for years.

Being a professional athlete gives you a sense of power and status reserved only for movie stars and famous musicians. You have the ability to manipulate vulnerable people in ways that are simply impossible for 99.9% of others - and I am certain a portion of them cannot handle that power without abusing it. Athletes should honestly be constantly in some kind of professional therapy at all times, especially junior players (they are in development years).

Getting away with actions like this embeds deep in your subconscious that you are able to get away with doing things that nobody else would. That reinforces the behaviour and teaches you that there are no consequences for your actions.

Just a huge stereotype. Creeps come from all walks of life. Saying it is particular to pro athletes is simply dumb and I doubt you have any evidence for this.

Reactions: m9

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Please don't let another POS like Boucher or Virtanen every play for the Canucks again. Leipsic and Prust too, for that matter.

Can we still make it extremely clear that it is nights and days different what Leipsic did, and to a slightly lesser degree Prust did, vs the shit that Boucher and Virtanen did?

Reactions: F A N

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Please don't let another POS like Boucher or Virtanen every play for the Canucks again. Leipsic and Prust too, for that matter.

What’s with Benning picking up these assholes, including lepsic, the list goes on holy cow. If Benning was still
he probably take Evander Kane.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He wanted him but the actual tampering was with Stamkos and Subban.

He did exactly the same thing with Kane that he’d later do with Subban and Stamkos but the quotes didn’t really leave this market and he didn’t get a fine.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
He did exactly the same thing with Kane that he’d later do with Subban and Stamkos but the quotes didn’t really leave this market and he didn’t get a fine.

I don't know what is worse. That someone that had been in an AGM or GM role for a decade at that point didn't know what tampering was, or that he kept his job for another 5 and a half years after tampering 3 times and getting caught twice.

Just to keep the thread on topic, f*** Boucher

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I don't know what is worse. That someone that had been in an AGM or GM role for a decade at that point didn't know what tampering was, or that he kept his job for another 5 and a half years after tampering 3 times and getting caught twice.

Just to keep the thread on topic, f*** Boucher

It's one of the kind of forgotten things that were a window into just how stupid/incompetent Benning was. Like, your average 12 year old fan knows you can't talk about wanting to acquire guys on other teams. But somehow Benning had worked as an NHL scout/executive for 20 years and didn't have a clue. It was mindboggling.

f*** Boucher.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany

Yeah, I meant the ones he was actually fined for. Can't even remember the Kane one.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

likash

Apr 17, 2019
He got like 2 tampering charges in the same interview for Stamkos and Subban. Instead of bi-winning like Charlie Shenn, Jimbo was bi-tampering and Aqua had to pay 50k. :laugh:

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
In cases like this I don't understand the apparent mania with avoiding giving the defendant any jail time whatsoever. Like, there's 2 or 3 different types of probation/punishment/fines, and a suspended jail sentence, but no actual time in prison. Why avoid it? Let that person feel what it's like to have everything important taken away, even if it's only for 6 months.

Last edited:

DustyMartellaughs

Flashing the leather.
Jun 12, 2009
Dawson Creek, BC
In cases like this I don't understand the apparent mania with avoiding giving the defendant any jail time whatsoever. Like, there's 2 or 3 different types of probation/punishment/fines, and a suspended jail sentence, but no actual time in prison. Why avoid it? Let that person feel what it's like to have everything important taken away, even if it's only for 6 months.

100%. When the consequence of his actions is that he merely has to act like a decent human being moving forward, I really wonder if the victims feel any actual sense of justice having been served.

Reactions: Red

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

The loss of liberty is seen as quite significant thing and if the risk of offending is seen as low (part of the reasons the judge gave here is that it happened so long ago) jail time is seen as having no purpose.

I think the deal Boucher got is shocking. At the same time, now that I have had some time to think about it, it would probably be difficult to convict him at trial. We're talking about the key witness being 12 at the time.

100%. When the consequence of his actions is that he merely has to act like a decent human being moving forward, I really wonder if the victims feel any actual sense of justice having been served.

The victim has come out and said that she doesn't feel that justice has been served. Just that this gives her some form of closure. If this does effectively end Boucher's hockey career, there would be a sliver of justice coming out from this.

Reactions: MarkMM

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
The loss of liberty is seen as quite significant thing
To be blunt, so is forcing a 12-year-old to b**w you. This is one instance where I think the perpetrator needs to have something taken from him to hopefully understand what he took from his victim. 6 months, a year maybe. It won't ruin his life.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
To be blunt, so is forcing a 12-year-old to b**w you. This is one instance where I think the perpetrator needs to have something taken from him to hopefully understand what he took from his victim. 6 months, a year maybe. It won't ruin his life.

No disagreement here. There's definitely flaws in the justice system in North America. Not that I wish for the existence of other victims, but I suspect there are other victims and hope that they do come forward.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Anyone who committed crimes against kids should be hanged drawn and quartered.

In order for human rights to apply you have to be "human" first. When such deeds are done you've automatically forfeited your "human" card.

Reactions: Fedz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad