Two Weeks: The Barroway & Chayka Era

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
My thoughts on the first weeks of Barroway/Chayka are with an expectation that the ending will be much like the first group of hedge fund guys that took over until the 2nd shift of hedge fund guy came on.
I read these twitter comments about how people are thanking Leblanc for keeping the team here.
Im uneasy about that.
I remember in a radio interview where he the hedge fund guy said that he had always wanted to own a hockey team but in the end he ended up being just a hedge fund guy, doing what hedge fund guys do best.
As Craig Morgan pointed out he made his profit and split.
When the going got tough, the previous owners got gone.
Meanwhile for the last at least 5 home games there were stalls in the bathroom in the arena over by Section 112 that had no toilet paper.
I personally experienced it as I pulled the end of the roll down to the ground so the guy next door could use the paper from my dispenser...
All of the hand towel dispensers except two were bone dry empty.
That was before the game even started.
Talk about bare bones financing and exiting with a profit.
Thats what they do.
Barroway is nowhere to be found is not saying a thing so we don't know but one thing we do know, he's a hedge fund guy.
We don't know whether or not he always wanted to be a hockey team owner but that docent seem to matter to these type business people does it?
Don't really care about any of this.

This is what gives me optimism-

Originally Posted by The Feckless Puck
All I can say is this - I may be celebrating prematurely because all of this could end up being a fizzle in the pan. Even if we get Nelson, he might not be able to coach us out of the cellar. Our new trades may not pan out. Our rookies may end up being as overrated as everyone else seems to say they are.

But what makes me happy is that at least the Coyotes are DOING SOMETHING. I mean, really DOING SOMETHING, not just making nudges and kludging things together out of spare parts. They cleaned out the country club, they took a couple of gambles, and now they're getting a fresh voice in the room. And that makes me happy.

Thank-you Feckless Puck!

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ
My thoughts on the first weeks of Barroway/Chayka are with an expectation that the ending will be much like the first group of hedge fund guys that took over until the 2nd shift of hedge fund guy came on.
I read these twitter comments about how people are thanking Leblanc for keeping the team here.
Im uneasy about that.
I remember in a radio interview where he the hedge fund guy said that he had always wanted to own a hockey team but in the end he ended up being just a hedge fund guy, doing what hedge fund guys do best.
As Craig Morgan pointed out he made his profit and split.
When the going got tough, the previous owners got gone.
Meanwhile for the last at least 5 home games there were stalls in the bathroom in the arena over by Section 112 that had no toilet paper.
I personally experienced it as I pulled the end of the roll down to the ground so the guy next door could use the paper from my dispenser...
All of the hand towel dispensers except two were bone dry empty.
That was before the game even started.
Talk about bare bones financing and exiting with a profit.
Thats what they do.
Barroway is nowhere to be found is not saying a thing so we don't know but one thing we do know, he's a hedge fund guy.
We don't know whether or not he always wanted to be a hockey team owner but that docent seem to matter to these type business people does it?

An amazing local family that believes, like my daughter, that hockey can make it in the desert, made a generous contribution to her memorial fund today. It included a beautiful note. Thank you, Barroway family.

https://www.gofundme.com/in-memory-of-ashleigh-m-fredrick

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Very classy from the Barroway family, and for such a great cause. I'm going to join the club and donate too :)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Don't really care about any of this.

This is what gives me optimism-

Originally Posted by The Feckless Puck
All I can say is this - I may be celebrating prematurely because all of this could end up being a fizzle in the pan. Even if we get Nelson, he might not be able to coach us out of the cellar. Our new trades may not pan out. Our rookies may end up being as overrated as everyone else seems to say they are.

But what makes me happy is that at least the Coyotes are DOING SOMETHING. I mean, really DOING SOMETHING, not just making nudges and kludging things together out of spare parts. They cleaned out the country club, they took a couple of gambles, and now they're getting a fresh voice in the room. And that makes me happy.

Thank-you Feckless Puck!

A couple of days ago I mentioned this is going to be another tough year. I have no idea what I was thinking, must have been my annual brain fart, but this is year three of a rebuild and the team should be sniffing for a playoff spot. The trades the team has made makes us better at those positions but we have to find a replacement for Vrbata's points. If not, the maturity and progression of the kids should still make up better. End result, we have to be in the playoff hunt, and anything else is failure.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
An amazing local family that believes, like my daughter, that hockey can make it in the desert, made a generous contribution to her memorial fund today. It included a beautiful note. Thank you, Barroway family.

RR, I have been reading all the different posts about your daughter and your family and I like to send my condolences. I personally find it hard to find the right words to talk about your tragedy and I can't even imagine the pain you and your family has gone through. God bless you and your family.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Jakes said:
... this is year three of a rebuild and the team should be sniffing for a playoff spot...
End result, we have to be in the playoff hunt, and anything else is failure.

This is year 1 Anno Carnifex. Nothing matters before IA and Tippett left. I don't know why you keep going back three years.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014

Holy ****. What an awesome person. For the first time in, like ever, I can say I genuinely like and respect the coyotes owner. It's great that he saw this, and even better that he donated. Has any individual done more to win an hf fanbase over in this short a time?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Holy ****. What an awesome person. For the first time in, like ever, I can say I genuinely like and respect the coyotes owner. It's great that he saw this, and even better that he donated. Has any individual done more to win an hf fanbase over in this short a time?

I agree with the 1st part about being a Barroway fan. Winking over a fanbase, though? Only the die-hates. Casual fans and the local sports media think he's the Devil. They think it's a tragedy that Doan wasn't given a blank check. They think it's a tragedy that somebody finally held Dave Tippett and company accountable. They think it's a tragedy that Mike Smith was finally recognized as a poor allocation of budget space on a youthful team. Barroway and Chayka have been making great decisions. The fans outside of this forum want them crucified for it.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I agree with the 1st part about being a Barroway fan. Winking over a fanbase, though? Only the die-hates. Casual fans and the local sports media think he's the Devil. They think it's a tragedy that Doan wasn't given a blank check. They think it's a tragedy that somebody finally held Dave Tippett and company accountable. They think it's a tragedy that Mike Smith was finally recognized as a poor allocation of budget space on a youthful team. Barroway and Chayka have been making great decisions. The fans outside of this forum want them crucified for it.
Winning over an hf fan base.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida

Luckily for us the casuals and media will likely have a short memory and hop on the "Chayka is a genius" bandwagon if we start winning.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Luckily for us the casuals and media will likely have a short memory and hop on the "Chayka is a genius" bandwagon if we start winning.

The weeping and gnashing of teeth has already started to subside. Outrage generates more clicks so they'll always look for something to stir people up.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The fans outside of this forum want them crucified for it.

F the casuals. Reddit has seen the light of Chayka, save a few holdouts. The trades really flipped the narrative. All you have to do now is win a bit and be more entertaining. Hard to see that not happening.

Some people really, really liked their country club though. They freak out at change, and assume it's because the team is moving...

Toadie

Mar 24, 2015
Calgary AB
I honestly thought I saw my last game in Arizona. With all the new will and energy that the Leadership has fostered, I am excited to be coming down in October for the Stars and Hawks. I believe the games will be exciting and we will be competitive. Who would have thought I would be calling the Yotes C-Suite leaders. Can hardly wait for the new season!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad