Two very important signings this off season

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
Mact has a lot of player holes to fill. That is a given and there will be thousands of posts and dozens of threads. But there exists an opportunity for the org to progress beyond player aquisistions.

1) Sean Burke - from Bob McKenzie's article

Even before Sunday’s massive Leaf purge, former NHL goalie Sean Burke, who was teammates with Shanahan, had already been linked to the Leafs. Burke has been a goalie coach and assistant to the GM in Arizona with the Coyotes, but has permission to talk to other teams and will be moving on from Arizona at season’s end. It would surprise no one if Burke found his way to Toronto, though in what capacity it remains to be seen.

Sean Burke is exactly what this organization needs. We are currently a place where goaltending careers go to die. It really doesn't matter who we end up with in net, without a quality coach, their play will diminish. Burke is the primary reason Dubnyk is still in the nhl. We might even have a shot at resigning Dubnyk this summer if Burke is the one calling him.

2) Todd Nelson signed to a NHL coaching salary, even if he is our AHL coach. Nelson has done a very good job with the kids but is not an elite NHL coach. He lacks the experience to properly match lines and zone starts are not optimized. In a perfect world, he is paid an NHL head coach salaary while being a development coach in the AHL. Katz should offer him a chance to see if a head coaching job is available. If not, he gets paid to be our development coach.

What do these two signings have in common? The answer is Darryl Katz's pocketbook. If he is serious about building a winner and not just collecting tax payers' money for his new building, then he should be doing whatever he can. We are not a cap team but have the ability to be as big a spender as there is in this league. It is time for Katz to show something. Handing Burke and Nelson blank cheques would be a good start.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I would quite happily take a Tippett/Burke duo. Got knows their strengths suit our biggest weaknesses.
It takes more of than a good goalie coach to fix our goaltending. We need solid, disciplined defensive structure from our head coach. As good as Nelson's been for our young forwards, I'm not sure if said structure is a strength of his.

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Mact has a lot of player holes to fill. That is a given and there will be thousands of posts and dozens of threads. But there exists an opportunity for the org to progress beyond player aquisistions.

1) Sean Burke - from Bob McKenzie's article

Even before Sunday’s massive Leaf purge, former NHL goalie Sean Burke, who was teammates with Shanahan, had already been linked to the Leafs. Burke has been a goalie coach and assistant to the GM in Arizona with the Coyotes, but has permission to talk to other teams and will be moving on from Arizona at season’s end. It would surprise no one if Burke found his way to Toronto, though in what capacity it remains to be seen.

Sean Burke is exactly what this organization needs. We are currently a place where goaltending careers go to die. It really doesn't matter who we end up with in net, without a quality coach, their play will diminish. Burke is the primary reason Dubnyk is still in the nhl. We might even have a shot at resigning Dubnyk this summer if Burke is the one calling him.

2) Todd Nelson signed to a NHL coaching salary, even if he is our AHL coach. Nelson has done a very good job with the kids but is not an elite NHL coach. He lacks the experience to properly match lines and zone starts are not optimized. In a perfect world, he is paid an NHL head coach salaary while being a development coach in the AHL. Katz should offer him a chance to see if a head coaching job is available. If not, he gets paid to be our development coach.

What do these two signings have in common? The answer is Darryl Katz's pocketbook. If he is serious about building a winner and not just collecting tax payers' money for his new building, then he should be doing whatever he can. We are not a cap team but have the ability to be as big a spender as there is in this league. It is time for Katz to show something. Handing Burke and Nelson blank cheques would be a good start.

Two possible candidates to replace Nelson would be Hitchcock and McLellan. If you look at their coaching records you will see that Hitch was most successful in his first stint as an NHL coach. And McLellan actually had his best years in the first few years he was in the NHL.

Nelson is actually a very experienced coach. He has been coaching in the pro levels for 14 years. He only lacks time as an NHL head coach, but he has worked in the NHL and has been a head coach for many years. Being able to match lines and choose who should start in what zone is something that is easily learned. What is not so easy to find is someone who can get the most out of his players. Nelson has done this at every level.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Ron Hainsey
Ray Emery

Kelly Buchberger to head coach.
Dallas Eakins reassigned to AHL coach.
Toby Peterson hired as Dean of newly formed Edmonton Oilers school of clowning, clown shoes, and hockey.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Nelson being hired. I don't really buy the elite status stuff, no coach would "appear" elite with this team.

MacT being fired. Wasting 2 years with Eakins and his generally inability to assess people for quality is a good reason imo.

As far as Lowe goes, I'm not fond of him due to hiring MacT, but MacT also seemed to do a complete reversal. He went from changing things quickly (sometimes too quickly, ala giving Dubnyk away) to becoming slower than Tambo for making moves beneficial to the club (1.5 years to fire Eakins? Really?)

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Nelson being hired. I don't really buy the elite status stuff, no coach would "appear" elite with this team.

MacT being fired. Wasting 2 years with Eakins and his generally inability to assess people for quality is a good reason imo.

As far as Lowe goes, I'm not fond of him due to hiring MacT, but MacT also seemed to do a complete reversal. He went from changing things quickly (sometimes too quickly, ala giving Dubnyk away) to becoming slower than Tambo for making moves beneficial to the club (1.5 years to fire Eakins? Really?)

That's not exactly a fair comment regarding coaching. We haven't brought in a head coach with a winning track record in the NHL since I've started watching hockey as a child. I'm now turning 27 soon.

Until we can prove an elite coach can't right the ship, we have no business saying they can't.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
1) Sean Burke is great, but I'd hate to lose Dustin Schwarz. Schwarz did a fantastic job on the Oil Kings, and I don't doubt he improved upon Chabot's teaching as soon as he was hired by the Oilers. If we could move Schwarz to Bakersfield so he could continue his relationship with Brossoit, I'd be happy with acquiring Burke.

Burke deserves credit for Dubnyk, but it can't be overstated how much Dubnyk: 1) took away from Stephen Valiquette introducing head trajectory to him; and 2) worked on his technique and mental approach to the game over the summer. Dubnyk had been a good goalie before Burke, after all.

2) Nelson should stay on as head coach.

You mention line matching and zone starts. I'd argue that Nelson did a good job matching lines and will only get better with experience--it's not his fault that he had a decimated defensive core to work with. As for zone starts, he could actually learn one thing from Eakins and a host of other coaches: always start the Wagon Line in the defensive zone. Zone starts are more important than line matching in dictating the flow of play from a face off.

As for playing with structure, Nelson teams in OKC have always had a lot of structure. It's how they have been able to grind out wins despite depleted rosters ever since he took over head coaching duties for the AHL team. We'd be seeing a more structured NHL team if 1) he didn't have to "rehabilitate" so many post-Eakins players, and 2) if he actually had more players like Petry who could play adequately at this level.

With that said, if you can get McLellan and his crew from San Jose, you take them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad