Proposal: Two trades that would change our future

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
Any claims that we can't compete before games start are insane. Both Bourque and Wilson were on pace for 20+ goal full seasons before injury. Stalberg has a 20+ goal season in his past and is pretty much guaranteed big minutes at ES and on the PP this season. I'm not expecting us to lead the league in goals, but, we have the pieces to put up decent numbers if they stay healthy.

Defensively we have several options to fill the second pairing gap alongside Klein. Which of Jones, Ekholm, and Bartley proves capable of filling that role remains to be seen.

Behind all of that we have a surgically repaired Rinne.

So ... last season's goal tending was addressed via medical attention for our star goalie. Scoring gets addressed by repairing two of our hottest scorers last season (before injury) plus the acquisition of Stalberg. The defensive gap is a risky move counting on a draftee or unproven young prospects. A return to Predators hockey and competitive every night play.

Taking the wait and see approach to that statement

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Minnesota is more impressive on paper, though they have some pretty big question marks defensively outside of Suter and Brodin (assuming he stays up to last year's form). Most are penciling them in by default based on them making the playoffs last year and us, Dallas, Colorado and Winnipeg not doing so.

Colorado having that kind of season would be an incredible overachievement. Their defense is poor and unexperienced, and is likely to expose them severely over the course of a full season.

The only real locks are likely to be: Los Angeles, Chicago, and St. Louis, though I would include San Jose based off basically being the same roster that has consistently made it in the last few seasons, and possibly throw Anaheim in as well, assuming Selanne returns. That leaves anywhere from 1-3 possible spots for teams from the Central, and there is no reason the Preds can't be one of them. I think expecting the playoffs is a bit much, but also expecting a 20-25 finish is underselling a bit.

Colorado is the Preds in reverse they can score a lot but can't stop a beachball. The Mild are hurting in goal still but may outlast the Preds. The Preds are better in a small margin but need to put together the offense quick. You can expect a poor start with all the changes in players and roles. If they cand adjust by Christmas they have a chance, if not or injuries hit again to key players there in trouble.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
If anything, the two deals I'd like to see the Preds make is an upgrade at wing and signing a vet LHD.

If Hansey is a fit for the Preds system and can be a good fit for Klein I would go for him to create another barrier for the young talent to grow from. Fact is, if the youth can't be better than Hainsey, klein and/or someone else then they aren't worth being on the club and it would be better to cycle them from Milwaukee to Nashville.

I say wing because of the number of wings on the roster and the chance to have Beck up. Nashville system is basically this:

Two Way center to play defense. LW for the 2nd level of defensive responsibility. Most of the center converted to wing end up here.

Center wise, I will take Cullen, Legwand, Fisher, and Gaustad. They fit the Trotz system.

Do we want to make room forBeck who could have a Sophomore slump? Do you trust Watson.

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
If anything, the two deals I'd like to see the Preds make is an upgrade at wing and signing a vet LHD.

If Hansey is a fit for the Preds system and can be a good fit for Klein I would go for him to create another barrier for the young talent to grow from. Fact is, if the youth can't be better than Hainsey, klein and/or someone else then they aren't worth being on the club and it would be better to cycle them from Milwaukee to Nashville.

I say wing because of the number of wings on the roster and the chance to have Beck up. Nashville system is basically this:

Two Way center to play defense. LW for the 2nd level of defensive responsibility. Most of the center converted to wing end up here.

Center wise, I will take Cullen, Legwand, Fisher, and Gaustad. They fit the Trotz system.

Do we want to make room forBeck who could have a Sophomore slump? Do you trust Watson.

Well I hate to break it to you with centers like this we will NEVER win anything. I would have rather had Grabo for one year at 3Million than Cullen for two at 3Million then 4Million, seeing how Grabo would have filled a center whole for one year then Watson could have fell right into place. I have not like this signing from day one unless Legwand is going to walk at the end of the year because Watson will still not have a spot next year.
Some of the other comments some people left just do not make any since seeing how management spent some money this year. Do you truly believe they want to lose with all this money invested. One thing I agreed with the media when the press conference was made about free agency is that this will limit not help the youngsters make this team this year.

Last edited:

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Well I hate to break it to you with centers like this we will NEVER win anything. I would have rather had Grabo for one year at 3Million than Cullen for two at 3Million then 4Million, seeing how Grabo would have filled a center whole for one year then Watson could have fell right into place. I have not like this signing from day one unless Legwand is going to walk at the end of the year because Watson will still not have a spot next year.
Some of the other comments some people left just do not make any since seeing how management spent some money this year. Do you truly believe they want to lose with all this money invested. One thing I agreed with the media when the press conference was made about free agency is that this will limit not help the youngsters make this team this year.

Watson will not be ready for a top line center position next season. He will get some time with the big club this year during injuries then probably center the third line next year, with Legwand either departing or moving to the wing, or Watson playing wing until he gets acclimated to the NHL game.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
we may be past this point, but Minny and SJ I don't see as being locks.

We've got a shot to make the playoffs and I am a firm believer that our roster now is much better then it was last season.

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
Watson will not be ready for a top line center position next season. He will get some time with the big club this year during injuries then probably center the third line next year, with Legwand either departing or moving to the wing, or Watson playing wing until he gets acclimated to the NHL game.

Watson will not ever be a top line center. Watson is only a 2nd line guy so that is not what I was talking about. He will be playing center here Preds have invested too much into that in Milwaukee. The issue I have is until we get a true number one line center we will never go deep into the playoffs. We have a good Defense. Hopefully a healed and better Rinne. But no true top line until we address the center problem.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
Cullen is being very underrated. I know his numbers aren't that of a true number 1 center but I'd take him over Grabo. Difference of opinions here but I think he's gonna be good for us. He's a good PP guy and can score.

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
Cullen is being very underrated. I know his numbers aren't that of a true number 1 center but I'd take him over Grabo. Difference of opinions here but I think he's gonna be good for us. He's a good PP guy and can score.

I do not mind the signing of Cullen but to say it does limit Watson moving up very quick. I however am tired of getting these fairly good players when they are headed towards the ends of their careers such as:
Cullen
P. Forsberg
Gill

Cullen however does not address the need of a top line center. I am tired of the excuses. I heard earlier in this post about certain players being better because of who they played with. The same can be said here as well Wilson and Hornqvist/Forsberg could be great with a true number one center, that is my point.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
They've made 3 moves like that in 15 years yet you're tired of it?

Grabo's numbers are similar to Fisher, Legwand and Cullen yet he's the solution to what they aren't? They have all produced similar offensive numbers while being way better defensively yet you think Grabo would have been a number one center here? He's not the answer, never was. The numbers don't lie.

Wilson will be the number one center eventually.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I do not mind the signing of Cullen but to say it does limit Watson moving up very quick. I however am tired of getting these fairly good players when they are headed towards the ends of their careers such as:
Cullen
P. Forsberg
Gill

Cullen however does not address the need of a top line center. I am tired of the excuses. I heard earlier in this post about certain players being better because of who they played with. The same can be said here as well Wilson and Hornqvist/Forsberg could be great with a true number one center, that is my point.

I dont think you can put Forsberg in the "fairly good" category... and anyway he was a rental

Cullen isnt a #1 C in the abstract, but he gives us the depth we need in the middle. Certainly better than not signing anyone

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
the fact is that this years free agent pool wasn't really all that strong. I'm not saying this because I'm a Stalberg fan and think he'll do well here, but he was one of the most sought out wingers in this years free agency. Still young, has speed, and has the ability to score when not being overshadowed by other super stars.

What I'm trying to say is, the only reason people are throwing Grabo out as being an answer over Cullen and anyone else that was favorable in their eyes is because the name is more appealing and they seem to be better because they are more recognizable by fans around the league. The fact is, exactly like one of the previous posters said, Cullen is in similar numbers with Fish, Leggy, and Grabo! There wasn't a No. 1C available. The only chance of that was Getzlaf who wasn't going to leave Anaheim and he proved it before the season was over. It's probably a good thing we didn't get Grabo. Cullen will pan out to be a good no.1C for us this season and then will probably see time at lines 2-3 depending on who we look at during next years free agency frenzy or even at the deadline.

Fact to the matter is this; this years FA's were not nearly as strong as lasts and the standout guys that would have been free agents were signed before they reached the market. We did the best we could, even if we overpaid some to do it. Still think we're a playoff team and some will be pleasantly surprised.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
the fact is that this years free agent pool wasn't really all that strong. I'm not saying this because I'm a Stalberg fan and think he'll do well here, but he was one of the most sought out wingers in this years free agency. Still young, has speed, and has the ability to score when not being overshadowed by other super stars.

What I'm trying to say is, the only reason people are throwing Grabo out as being an answer over Cullen and anyone else that was favorable in their eyes is because the name is more appealing and they seem to be better because they are more recognizable by fans around the league. The fact is, exactly like one of the previous posters said, Cullen is in similar numbers with Fish, Leggy, and Grabo! There wasn't a No. 1C available. The only chance of that was Getzlaf who wasn't going to leave Anaheim and he proved it before the season was over. It's probably a good thing we didn't get Grabo. Cullen will pan out to be a good no.1C for us this season and then will probably see time at lines 2-3 depending on who we look at during next years free agency frenzy or even at the deadline.

Fact to the matter is this; this years FA's were not nearly as strong as lasts and the standout guys that would have been free agents were signed before they reached the market. We did the best we could, even if we overpaid some to do it. Still think we're a playoff team and some will be pleasantly surprised.
The only potentially #1 center that was available this summer was Seguin, and we did not have a Loui Eriksson to offer in exchange. Guess you could throw Ribeiro in as well, but he's probably not a great fit for the org in terms of character, work ethic, and two-way play.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
The only potentially #1 center that was available this summer was Seguin, and we did not have a Loui Eriksson to offer in exchange. Guess you could throw Ribeiro in as well, but he's probably not a great fit for the org in terms of character, work ethic, and two-way play.

seguin was via trade and we do not have the means of getting him without sending wilson and some of our big prospects and even that probably wouldn't have gotten it done.

ribeiro, ehhh, he signed early sooo

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
What is being overlooked a lot is how people who have made their livings in hockey for their entire lives decided to go after certain kinds of players for specific reasons. They knew our team had gotten away from having an identity. They wanted to get an identity back, and hopefully they have done that. They knew we lacked depth, and they have addressed that. It doesn't mean we're going to be some beastly team, but it does show that they have a plan. How many teams can you honestly say make moves because they have a plan beyond "That guy's good - let's get him!"

Also, Forsberg was 33 when he was attained. It was injury that ended his career. He had 75 points the season before we got him, and when we got him he had 40 points in 40 games. I'm not sure how he can be lumped in with Cullen, whom we have not seen play a single game for us, and Gill, who was a third pairing defenseman.

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
I believe we are a Playoff team.
I know this was not a year for Free Agents.
I know Cullen and Gil are no P. Forsberg.
I know alot of this stuff.
I am just tired of not having that true top line that Stanley Cup winners MUST have. That will require a number one Center.
I am tired of hearing the Wilson will be comments about the Center Position.
I love the Predators and have been a partial season ticket holder in the past until I had to take a pay cut when I was injured on the job.
I know Predators hockey. I just want to see us at least make it to the Conference Finals or the Stanley Cup.
I know there is alot of teams that feel this way.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
We did need to sign more guys so that if the injury bug hits us again, we have the means to combat it by having guys with experience.

Also, we are back to our true identity which is being physical. We did some good things and now we just need to let the season play out and see how we do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad