Two tiered Qualifying Offers

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewGuy

Jun 29, 2002
I've been thinking about how qualifying offers can be modified so that it is possible for a team to retain a player's rights without having to give him a raise or maintain his current salary. What i've come up with is a two tier qualifying offer system for RFAs that should be fair to both sides.

The system would work as follows:

RFA1: Works similarly to the current restricted free agency system. Players must be qualified at 100% of their current salary if they make more than the league average, or at 105% of their current salary if they make less than the league average. Compensation remains the same as the current RFA system and teams have the right to match any offer.

RFA2: Players can be qualified at between 70% and 100% of their current salary. Compensation starts at a single second round pick and decreases from there (i.e.: 3rd, 4th, ..., 9th round pick). Teams have the right to match any offer less than or equal to their offer but are not obliged to. Teams can NOT match offers that are greater than their current offer. Compensation is NOT available if the team can match the offer but decides not to.

RFA2 status only exists for a limited amount of time (i.e.: until July 31st), after which players switch to being RFA1s.

I believe that this would allow teams to keep players at a reduced rate if there are no other teams that wish to have that player at a greater salary. This also allows players access to an "open market" so they are not forced to take the paycut.

Fire away. There is likely some tweaks that need to be made to this proposal but I like to think it's something that can work well for both sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad