Post-Game Talk: Two loser points in a row! Can we make it a streak?

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
That's why I'm not even against Torts anymore for a short term solution, these guys look listless and have no accountability right now. I think Tippet maybe has checked out in the Covid world.

And I think Torts is kind of an idiot lol.

Not crazy about Torts, but what he said about McDavid shows there could be an interesting dynamic. He definitely wouldn’t be ‘enabling’ McDavid in any way.

But then again, having been on the “Fire Tippett train” for so long, I’m ready for Tippett to be replaced by an inanimate carbon rod at this point

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Not crazy about Torts, but what he said about McDavid shows there could be an interesting dynamic. He definitely wouldn’t be ‘enabling’ McDavid in any way.

But then again, having been on the “Fire Tippett train” for so long, I’m ready for Tippett to be replaced by an inanimate carbon rod at this point

Would be fine with Tortorella.

A team's personality comes a lot from their coach, we need his fire, this group is too mute and low key, they need a volcano in the locker room.

He also would blow up at refs for missing calls over and over again unlike Tippett who just nods politely at them.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015

Yep, I'd take almost anyone at this point to try and salvage the season. I think I'd just be good with promoting Gully or Woodcroft at this point to get rid of the fossilitis.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015

A team's personality comes a lot from their coach, we need his fire, this group is too mute and low key, they need a volcano in the locker room.

He also would blow up at refs for missing calls over and over again unlike Tippett who just nods politely at them.
I would agree its worth a shot. McDavid doesn't need another non-vocal in the room. They need a loud voice.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Yep, I'd take almost anyone at this point to try and salvage the season. I think I'd just be good with promoting Gully or Woodcroft at this point to get rid of the fossilitis.

I’d just rather they promote Gully or Woodcroft, they’re both more new school types (maybe Gully less so but better than the fossils around). Might as well see if they work rather than worrying about acquiring a coach on the offseason

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011

Yes, I’m worried about him not lasting long (player burn out) but he was with Columbus for quite a while (until the rebuild) and it seemed like the players liked him well enough. At this point, he might be willing to step back to be an assistant or take a scouting / player development type position after a short period of fixing the team and training a successor

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I’d just rather they promote Gully or Woodcroft, they’re both more new school types (maybe Gully less so but better than the fossils around). Might as well see if they work rather than worrying about acquiring a coach on the offseason

Woodcroft is too much of a risk. Young coaches often need time, if Woodcroft is more in the category of a Krueger or Eakins, the whole McDavid era is basically screwed.

We don't have time for a coach to figure shit out, they need to come in and completely dominate the locker room and infuse their gameplan and personality onto the team immediately and gets results ... immediately.

Young coaches + shaky D lacking confidence is also generally a recipe for disaster.

Dashh

Oct 26, 2013
What do you guys think the chance of Tippett actually getting fired is ? Are we all just hoping here, or is it actually a possibility?
Holland seems too married to him.

Last edited:

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Woodcroft is too much of a risk. Young coaches often need time, if Woodcroft is more in the category of a Krueger or Eakins, the whole McDavid era is basically screwed.

We don't have time for a coach to figure shit out, they need to come in and completely dominate the locker room and infuse their gameplan and personality onto the team immediately and gets results ... immediately.

Young coaches + shaky D lacking confidence is also generally a recipe for disaster.

Those are some of my concerns with a younger coach as well. They should have just kept McLellan around and had Woodcroft coaching the team a season or two ago.

Julien might be a good option as well

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The fans on twitter blaming our star players (specifically Draisaitl) for the lacklustre performance of the team recently need to be shot into the sun along with Kassian and Turris.

Drai plays a big mans possession game yet he typically gets 2 of the smallest and weakest players on the team on his line. His game is one that takes a ton of energy yet he constantly gets shat on.

EnufAlready

Dec 31, 2021
And the things he get shit on for are things that hockey coaches shit on players for…
Thus the need for a coach. No one wants Leon gone. Just fixed

EnufAlready

Dec 31, 2021
Sometimes I question whether fans of a player are no different than some parents in terms of having an inability to see whats wrong and in need of repair of said child. Lol

Thomas Rielly

Jan 2, 2022
My rationale for hiring him is he's a better coach than Tippett who is obsessed with preparation and structure.

Even people who call him a terrible person admit the dude's preparation with his teams is impeccible.

What do you want to do? Flush this season down the toilet? Because unless you are blind this team has tuned out the coach they are playing for, and once a team tunes out a coach, it's over. There's no coming back from this.

Besides what the f*** are we even clinging onto? A shit 5 on 5 coach who will just get us murdered in a 1st round series against Vegas/Colorado/St. Louis/Winnipeg/Calgary (ugh Sutter would eat Tippett alive)/Anaheim (Gibson supernova)/probably Vancouver (way better now under Bodreau).

Like what do you think is going to happen even if they make the playoffs? Stop being naive, because the Oilers opponents are not going to be naive. They are going to pick apart this team's lack of 5 on 5 play and confused disjointed way of going into every game apart and eat them alive in a playoff round with the way Tippett coaches. They have no chance with his garbage "do whatever you want forwards" system.
Sorry, not a troll, just found out about this site through a friend and want to discuss the sad team I watch

My brothers a leafs fan and so I’ve watched my fair share of leafs games….and I think you might have a skewed view of Babcock

Firstly, his “structure”: 5 v 5 offence will get better, Babcock would run red line stretch passes and that’s what made players who could move the puck like Rielly so effective. His defence was Frederick Andersen. They had a legit 60 game starter who had very respectable numbers, not Mr no glove hand and mr injury’s himself every time he does the butterfly. Babcocks team, whether through personelle or system, couldn’t defend the cycle at all, they were average on the rush but sucked defending the cycle. Frederick Andersen bailed them out for 4 years, and now Jack Campbell is doing it to a much improved team

Secondly his lid: Babcock is notorious for benching guys like Marner and nylander, but never benched Matthews or Tavares. So someone like pul or RNH would be thrown under the bus whilst McDrai would probably get off Scotch free. He loved hyman so he’d stick Mcdavid and Hyman together, then probably force either foegele or McLeod on the other wing as foegele is the type of player he likes, or because he will see potential in McLeod and once he does that, no matter how bad McLeod may be, he ain’t coming off that line.

thirdly his structure, the leafs always started late, they often gave up the first goal too. In 19-20 in their 23 games with him, they gave up the first goal the most in the league. Babcock couldn’t get the leafs to start on time consistently apart from 17-18.

I honestly think this team firstly needs a look at its players at the same time as coaching:

I’d say the players we have are a huge problem. Our bottom 6 has maybe 1 player in foegele that might crack a contenders roster. Our defence has maybe 2. Our goaltending is ahl worthy on other teams. We either need to rework the lines to have two capable players and one boat anchor in the top 9, or we need to acquire talent.

Tippet has shown an unrelenting unwillingness to change anything about himself. Whether it’s the 1-3-1 after leading or his one “trump” card of playing Mcdrai together. Holland hasn’t given him many major pieces to work with either. He’s given him a couple of ponds and asked tippet to checkmate the other side with every piece. Both are morons.

EnufAlready

Dec 31, 2021
Drai plays a big mans possession game yet he typically gets 2 of the smallest and weakest players on the team on his line. His game is one that takes a ton of energy yet he constantly gets shat on.

Possession and Giveaway are not cohesive.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018

That's been Tippett's strategy the whole time. He's married Draisaitl to Yamamoto for his entire tenure and when RNH has been injured or otherwise deployed, we've seen Draisaitl with the likes of Ennis, Archibald, and Kahun. All under 5'10 and 170 lbs. I don't understand the thinking of finding the two smallest players and putting them with Draisaitl. I'm going to assume he's not intentionally trying to undermine or sabotage Draisaitl. Perhaps he's thinking in terms of complements and that Draisaitl's size and strength will help offset two 90lb weaklings that belong in the bottom 6 and at worst a healthy scratch?

Historically, Draisaitl has succeeded most when paired with big players regardless of skill level. Look at what he did with Lucic and Slepy in the 2017 playoffs. That's why I've been so adamant about Tippett putting him with Kassian, whom I think Draisaitl actually has some chemistry with in the past. Or Foegele. I'd even try McLeod with him. But Tippett seems to think in a different way than I do.

North

Jun 25, 2009
That's been Tippett's strategy the whole time. He's married Draisaitl to Yamamoto for his entire tenure and when RNH has been injured or otherwise deployed, we've seen Draisaitl with the likes of Ennis, Archibald, and Kahun. All under 5'10 and 170 lbs. I don't understand the thinking of finding the two smallest players and putting them with Draisaitl. I'm going to assume he's not intentionally trying to undermine or sabotage Draisaitl. Perhaps he's thinking in terms of complements and that Draisaitl's size and strength will help offset two 90lb weaklings that belong in the bottom 6 and at worst a healthy scratch?

Historically, Draisaitl has succeeded most when paired with big players regardless of skill level. Look at what he did with Lucic and Slepy in the 2017 playoffs. That's why I've been so adamant about Tippett putting him with Kassian, whom I think Draisaitl actually has some chemistry with in the past. Or Foegele. I'd even try McLeod with him. But Tippett seems to think in a different way than I do.

Part of the problem is Drai likes playing with Yamamoto.

It’s up to Tippett to pull the plug when it isn’t working but at times I think he and Holland cater too much to what both Drai and Connor want.

Reactions: frag2 and Duke74

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
And the things he get shit on for are things that hockey coaches shit on players for…
Thus the need for a coach. No one wants Leon gone. Just fixed

If the coach can’t get certain things out a player’s game in nearly 3 years that says way more about the coach than the player.

Reactions: North

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Part of the problem is Drai likes playing with Yamamoto.

It’s up to Tippett to pull the plug when it isn’t working but at times I think he and Holland cater too much to what both Drai and Connor want.

I think that's true to a certain extent. I also doubt that Draisaitl would throw a teammate under the bus. He's said that he's "liked playing with" many players, including IIRC, Kassian. If you're going to put Yamamoto on his right side, at least give him Foegs, McLeod, Hyman (if not with McDavid) or another big body on the left. But Shore enough....

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Actually at this point I think both McDrai could use some coaching by Torts. I'm no longer against this.

There is a visual difference in connors level of play depending on his mood.
They need any coach including the current one to hold them accountable. I don't watch them much at all but if what I saw was any indication of how they play they play a very irresponsible lazy game. Barzal was called out by Trotz for his lack of defensive play. He benched him a few periods and called him out in the press. This was the after he won the Calder and soon after Trotz joined the Isles. Trotz doesn't care about the razzle dazzle he wants all the players most importantly his best players to play a complete game, a team game. Barzal's offensive stats took a nose dive but after a couple of playoff series won it's clear he has completely bought into the system. He's far far a more mature player than McDavid. He's almost low key until you realize he's pretty much on the ice every time the Islanders score a goal or makes something happen. No more trying to beat 3 opponents ala McDavid. He utilizes his teammates better and hauls ass back checking. It's not about individual points anymore with Barzal and he's a joy to watch. He was far more effective than McDavid in their last meeting making smart plays and setting up his teammates but always in a safe defensive position.

The problem is that these two have been groomed into prima donnas and its going to be hard for them to change their outlook on the game. They feel entitled and the Edmonton management and perhaps the local media enabled them.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
They need any coach including the current one to hold them accountable. I don't watch them much at all but if what I saw was any indication of how they play they play a very irresponsible lazy game. Barzal was called out by Trotz for his lack of defensive play. He benched him a few periods and called him out in the press. This was the after he won the Calder and soon after Trotz joined the Isles. Trotz doesn't care about the razzle dazzle he wants all the players most importantly his best players to play a complete game, a team game. Barzal's offensive stats took a nose dive but after a couple of playoff series won it's clear he has completely bought into the system. He's far far a more mature player than McDavid. He's almost low key until you realize he's pretty much on the ice every time the Islanders score a goal or makes something happen. No more trying to beat 3 opponents ala McDavid. He utilizes his teammates better and hauls ass back checking. It's not about individual points anymore with Barzal and he's a joy to watch. He was far more effective than McDavid in their last meeting making smart plays and setting up his teammates but always in a safe defensive position.

Barzal wasn't very impressive outside of the PP by my eye.

Reactions: Aerrol

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021

The problem is that these two have been groomed into prima donnas and its going to be hard for them to change their outlook on the game. They feel entitled and the Edmonton management and perhaps the local media enabled them.
Barzal is trash defensively and you aren't making the playoffs.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

I want to see Draisaitl’s line be the new legion of doom line. 3 big heavy players.

Foegele-Draisaitl-JP

Mcdavids line will be more of a speed/skill line.

RNH-Mcdavid-Hyman

Third line is the kid line.

Benson-McLeod-Yamamoto

The 4th line is the grinding line.

Shore-Scevior/Ryan-Kassian

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
I want to see Draisaitl’s line be the new legion of doom line. 3 big heavy players.

Foegele-Draisaitl-JP

Mcdavids line will be more of a speed/skill line.

RNH-Mcdavid-Hyman

Third line is the kid line.

Benson-McLeod-Yamamoto

The 4th line is the grinding line.

Shore-Scevior/Ryan-Kassian
I like that LOD line. Or replace Foegele/Hyman. Either way not a bad idea. Definitely worth a shot, right?

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad