OT: TV thread

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Anyone else watching ‘ From’ on Prime?

its nuts.

Best I can equate to its like Outer Limits, The Twilight Zone, Stephen King, Lost or American Horror Story. If you like that type on genre its worth a watch. Just finished Season 1.

not for kids for sure.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

its nuts.

Best I can equate to its like Outer Limits, The Twilight Zone, Stephen King, Lost or American Horror Story. If you like that type on genre its worth a watch. Just finished Season 1.

not for kids for sure.
Never heard of it but sounds right up my alley.

Definitely gonna give it a go

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Your top 5 series:

1. Breaking Bad
2. Game of Thrones
3. Bloodline
4. Halt Catch Fire
5. White Lotus

Sons of Anarchy, Seinfeld, *Sinner, Broadchurch, Loudermilk, Better Call Saul, Black Mirror (new season so disappointing), Hell On Wheels, *Kingdom, *Bored to Death

* = sneaky good!!!

Reactions: GahdenRinkRat

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Decided to take the plunge for Paramount Plus last week and finished Season 1 of Picard.

Now a few episodes into Season 2.

I may give Strange New Worlds a go.

I'm sure it's his age but Patrick Stewart's voice is rather hoarse these days.

Next Gen is my favorite, and I liked Voyager and Enterprise.

The rest... I don't need yet another "origin story" about Spock or whatever. It ain't worth my time.

Reactions: smithformeragent

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I have a habit of not finishing shows, so forcing myself to sit through the 2nd half of the 3rd season of Ted Lasso just to get it over with.

Started Season 3 of Picard this morning.
I've been going through Ted Lasso, about an episode into season 3 now. I honestly can't decide whether I love this show or dislike it.

It's funny enough and has enough overarching plot to keep me watching, but so many of the characters are so annoying (especially Ted himself. I get that's kind of the point, but still, offputting). That forced cheerful optimism of it all is like taking the very worst aspects of the Office but amplified 3 times, which is what I feared going in because it had that reputation. But I find sports drama compelling and the writing is witty enough so I'll keep going.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I've been going through Ted Lasso, about an episode into season 3 now. I honestly can't decide whether I love this show or dislike it.

It's funny enough and has enough overarching plot to keep me watching, but so many of the characters are so annoying (especially Ted himself. I get that's kind of the point, but still, offputting). That forced cheerful optimism of it all is like taking the very worst aspects of the Office but amplified 3 times, which is what I feared going in because it had that reputation. But I find sports drama compelling and the writing is witty enough so I'll keep going.
Season 1 was basically a remake of Major League.

Seasons 2 and 3 became a soap opera.

The Office is a good comparison.
I never finished Parks and Rec for the same reasons.

About to watch the finale, and I told the wife no more shows for a while after that.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
I'm sure it's his age but Patrick Stewart's voice is rather hoarse these days.

Next Gen is my favorite, and I liked Voyager and Enterprise.

The rest... I don't need yet another "origin story" about Spock or whatever. It ain't worth my time.
I am a TOS guy, did not care for next gen, meh. You are absolutely right, Stewart is too old for television. I am with you about too many retcons and backstories now.
I am tempted to watch Strange New Worlds because original Pike did not have much backstory.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I am a TOS guy, did not care for next gen, meh. You are absolutely right, Stewart is too old for television. I am with you about too many retcons and backstories now.
I am tempted to watch Strange New Worlds because original Pike did not have much backstory.

I checked it out, and was intrigued for that reason. Plus, it takes place about a decade before the original series.

However, as noted, they introduce Spock, and blah blah blah. I just don't care about all of these reboots, Marvel, etc.

As Keith Richard once opined, correctly,

"90% of anything is crap."

Watch out for that 10%!

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Season 1 was basically a remake of Major League.

Seasons 2 and 3 became a soap opera.

The Office is a good comparison.
I never finished Parks and Rec for the same reasons.

About to watch the finale, and I told the wife no more shows for a while after that.

Season 1 was good. Then in Season 2 it started becoming the tv equivalent of Oscar Bait (Emmy bait?). Though my favorite episode so far was the one from season 2 that just followed Coach Beard and his odyssey through the night for the entire episode.

I do get a lot of late-stage Office vibes from it, but since Bill Lawrence is the exec producer maybe Scrubs is the better comparison. And I never could get into Scrubs, it was trying way too hard to be all cutesy with the best friends shit from Braff and the other guy or just have the other doctor guy give his little one-liners and the rest of the show not having any substance whatsoever.

The problem with Parks and Rec is that Leslie was a natural heel who they tried to pretend was the face protagonist. But because of the strength of the ensemble of characters around her, it was passable, even good. But the last couple seasons did dip off.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario

its nuts.

not for kids for sure.

I’ve been watching and agree with your assessment lol

Reactions: Gee Wally

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Watching The Bear season 2. Just watched the episode “Fishes” with so many guests appearances. So good.
Bob Odenkirk
Jamie Lee Curtis
John Mulaney
Love that show. The main star was also tremendous on shameless too.

Will there be a second season of Shoresy?
Yes. Already renewed. Just about timing for when it will air.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad