TV subscriptions for Oiler games

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
What are your opinions on the best channels or packages for oiler games in Alberta? I live in Calgary and just found out that centre ice and game centre live Blackout all games in the Oiler broadcast area and am wondering what other options I have? I was told that through cable I can see about 43 games but that's not good enough...

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Whats this nonsense about?

I live in Calgary and can watch all 82 Oilers games on TV.

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
Ok hence the question what package do you have? I have to go through shaw and they don't offer SN Oilers.

Skawtty

Aug 29, 2015
Central Alberta
If the oilers game isn't on Sportsnet Oilers then itll be in the first ppv channels for free 300-305 If I remember. I switched to Bell last year and got all games as they carry SNO.

UnrefinedCrude

Jun 7, 2011
Ok hence the question what package do you have? I have to go through shaw and they don't offer SN Oilers.

Yes they do. SN-Oilers and SN-Flames are extensions of SN-1.

If you get the package with Sportsnet One then you get SN-Oilers, and SN-Flames. They aren't available as separate entities.

I live in Calgary. I watch every Oilers game. On Shaw.

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
Yes they do. SN-Oilers and SN-Flames are extensions of SN-1.

If you get the package with Sportsnet One then you get SN-Oilers, and SN-Flames. They aren't available as separate entities.

I live in Calgary. I watch every Oilers game. On Shaw.

How much did that hurt? Watching every game last year...

Not to mention living in Calgary

Aug 10, 2015
Great question as I have been wondering the same. I don't have Sportsnet West (I live in BC and get Sportsnet Pacific) but I'm not sure what games I will be able to watch on TV (I have an less desirable streaming alternative for the ones that I can't get on TV, but ideally would get them all in HD on TV). I do have Sportsnet One and Sportsnet360.

I've been trying to navigate various spots to determine which games are blacked out where, and which channels they are on, but to me it almost seems like they try to keep you from being able to find out until the day of the game ("blackout in effect" has already become my least favourite TV show :sarcasm: ;) )

Kerricthebig

Jovial Imbecile
Nov 9, 2011
Great question as I have been wondering the same. I don't have Sportsnet West (I live in BC and get Sportsnet Pacific) but I'm not sure what games I will be able to watch on TV (I have an less desirable streaming alternative for the ones that I can't get on TV, but ideally would get them all in HD on TV). I do have Sportsnet One and Sportsnet360.

I've been trying to navigate various spots to determine which games are blacked out where, and which channels they are on, but to me it almost seems like they try to keep you from being able to find out until the day of the game ("blackout in effect" has already become my least favourite TV show :sarcasm: ;) )

In BC to watch all the Oiler games, you would need CI, GC, or hockeystreams. BC is considered OOM, so blackouts for CI and GC will not affect you, excepting for games vs Canucks, at which point they would be aired on Snet One/Pacific/Canucks.

What about if you live in Manitoba?

From Sportsnet:

Any Calgary Flames or Edmonton Oilers games on Sportsnet West or the Sportsnet ONE companion channels Sportsnet Flames and Sportsnet Oilers can only be seen in Alberta, Saskatchewan, Northwest Territories and Nunavut.

Note for Manitoba residents: As of the 2011-12 season, NHL blackout restrictions dictate that all Flames and Oilers games on these channels are blacked out for viewers in Manitoba.

Likely you would need GC, CI, or hockeystreams.

Last edited:

morningla

Aug 18, 2011
with Shaw Cable in Edmonton, if you have Sportsnet West/One (223/224), you get SN Oilers (302) included whenever a conflicting game is on at the same time.

if the game is on SN360 (about 5 games a season), sometimes it's not on SNW.
eg. the oct 1 pre-season said SN360 but was also on SNW, but it was against Vancouver.
That's my experience.

Last edited:

ardsa

Apr 9, 2012

You won't get any games on Sportsnet west in BC. Here is a list of the national and regional broadcasts:

Broadcast Schedule

In BC with Sportsnet Pacific, Sportsnet 1, Sportsnet 360, CBC, and City TV you will get all of the national games. You will also get the 2 games between the Cancuks and Oilers that are marked as regional.

Boozers

Mar 18, 2004
Edmonton
I am wondering Which cable company telus or shaw is the cheapest per month to get the required channels SN West/SN One/SN 360 as an example or is it the same?

Kerricthebig

Jovial Imbecile
Nov 9, 2011
I am wondering Which cable company telus or shaw is the cheapest per month to get the required channels SN West/SN One/SN 360 as an example or is it the same?

More or less the same. Take a look at their sites for actual pricing. Shaw will be a bit cheaper if you are looking to only have tv during the season, as telus charges for the tuner box unless you are on a minimum 1 year contract

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

Shaw. No contract obligation and you can call retention. ;)

UnrefinedCrude

Jun 7, 2011
How much did that hurt? Watching every game last year...

Not to mention living in Calgary

It was awful. The only thing bad about living in Calgary is because of the Oilers being awful.

Pretty much all the western Canadian cities are all pretty much the same.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
For anybody who wants to watch NHL GC in Alberta for the Oilers on their laptops, it's so easy.

Go to https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/buy-vpn/

It's not illegal. I have it on my laptop and on my phone.

It's as low as $3.33 a month!

Very easy to use. It sits on your task bar. You just connect to wherever you like. NY, Seattle, etc.

You can watch every single Oilers game on your laptop within the Oilers region.

Just log in to a place that doesn't have an NHL team. I'm on a NY IP right now and forgot. I went to watch the NYR CHI game and it said it was blacked out (Because I have it connected in NY).

Best solution.

Last edited:

UglyStupidAds

Sep 17, 2005
Edmonton
I understand there is a lot going on tomorrow (Thursday night football, MLB playoffs) but can it really be true that Connor McDavid's first NHL game is only on SN360? Not even on Sportsnet Oilers?

SN360 is not part of the standard sports package...

Last edited:

Kerricthebig

Jovial Imbecile
Nov 9, 2011
I understand there is a lot going on tomorrow (Thursday night football, MLB playoffs) but can it really be true that Connor McDavid's first NHL game is only on SN360? Not even on Sportsnet Oilers?

SN360 is not part of the standard sports package...

All games are always shown on SNOil. At least they were last year.

I don't know about Shaw, but Telus has SNOil available all the time. I don't really watch tv outside of hockey, so usually during the season I leave the tv tuned to snoil so i don't even need to think about it.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I was about to cancel my Shaw package until I found out about using Shaw Go to watch games on the Sportsnet web site.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad