TV: TV Shows that got better AFTER they changed some Characters/Actors

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
In the William Christopher thread we are talking about how MASH actually got better when some of the original actors left(towards the ends we can all agree it got a but preachy)

Changes they made
McLean Stevenson(Lt Col Blake) for Harry Morgan (potter)
Larry Linville(Burns) for David Ogden Steirs(Winchester)
Wayne Rogers(trapper) For Mike Farrell(BJ HoneyCutt)---Not everyone agree with this--but I like Rogers--but having both him and Alan Alda both chasing woman was a bit much sometimes

Other Shows like NYPD Blue(they changed a lot) but the David Caruso for Jimmy Smits changed the show for the better IMO

Night Court and Cheers were both forced to change due to deaths of cast members--but they got good replacements

what other shows can you think of that got better after changes--most get worse--but some have gotten better

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
While I enjoy the early episodes of Law and Order for their very dark, gritty feel, it's hard to argue that adding Orbach and Waterston after Dzunda/Sorvino and Moriarity gave the show a more "likeable" feel.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Cheers comes to mind when they swapped Diane for Rebecca. The Sam-Diane thing was getting old and would have got even worse if they tried to keep that going for another 5 or 6 seasons. Plus Diane always got on my nerves.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Rob Lowe and Adam Scott essentially replacing Paul Schneider was a success for Parks and Rec.

Although I actually really ended up liking Schneider's character my 2nd time through his run, Lowe and Scott's characters added a lot to the show.

I enjoyed Married with Children (Jefferson) over Married with Children (Steve)

Jefferson was hilarious and I definitely liked his partnership with Al in comparison to Steve being a weasel.

One Blurred Eye

Prefer the future.
Sep 27, 2014
I was pretty meh on the series as a whole, but thought Boardwalk Empire got significantly better after Michael Pitt and Aleksa Palladino departed.

Maybe swapping in Don Knott's Mr. Furley for the Roepers on Three's Company, though I have no real preference between them myself.

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
Star Trek Voyager: swapping Kes for Seven of Nine

Regardless of the reasons for the change, Jeri Ryan was flat out a better actress and she had some great episodes.

Reactions: peate

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Rob Lowe and Adam Scott essentially replacing Paul Schneider was a success for Parks and Rec.

Although I actually really ended up liking Schneider's character my 2nd time through his run, Lowe and Scott's characters added a lot to the show.

Jefferson was hilarious and I definitely liked his partnership with Al in comparison to Steve being a weasel.

Immediately what I thought of, never liked his character. Getting rid of him and adding Lowe and Adam Scott really helped take the show away from being an Office(U.S.) clone.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

Regardless of the reasons for the change, Jeri Ryan was flat out a better actress and she had some great episodes.

Wanted to note this. TNG also got better once the 2nd season ended and they brought back Dr Crusher and booted her replacement Dr Pulaski. DS9's getting really good also seemed to coincide with the addition of Michael Dorn as Worf. Though in fairness for both cases it has as much to do with the writing room finding its direction and groove and not specifically with adding those characters the way that Seven gave Voyager a focal character besides Janeway and The Doctor.

I also want to throw my hat into the Lowe/Scott additions to Parks & Rec.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
The most beloved classic Red Dwarf episodes came after Norman Lovett was replaced by Hattie Hayridge. Not really related to the increase in quality though as I think Lovett's Holly was a bit better.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Wanted to note this. TNG also got better once the 2nd season ended and they brought back Dr Crusher and booted her replacement Dr Pulaski. DS9's getting really good also seemed to coincide with the addition of Michael Dorn as Worf. Though in fairness for both cases it has as much to do with the writing room finding its direction and groove and not specifically with adding those characters the way that Seven gave Voyager a focal character besides Janeway and The Doctor.

Pretty sure TNG and DS9 got good because Riker/Sisko grew beards.

Reactions: Seedtype and Osprey

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Already mentioned in this thread by others, and I talked about this in the Star Trek thread, but Star Trek Voyager got drastically better in seasons 4 to 7 with Seven of Nine (Jeri Ryan) added to the cast.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA

This was the first thing that popped into my head, the show got exponentially better when they got rid of Schneider's character. They already had one straight man (Ann), they didn't need a second, especially one that was devoid of humor.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Adam Scott was a straight man too, though. For whatever reason, he had better chemistry with the rest.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Adam Scott was a straight man too, though. For whatever reason, he had better chemistry with the rest.

Yep. Rob Lowe and Adam Scott are just a lot more charismatic than Schneider, not to mention bigger names. When they were brought in you knew that NBC had developed faith in the show.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Babylon 5 - after they replaced Cmdr. Jeffrey Sinclair (Michael O'Hare) with Capt. John Sheridan (Bruce Boxleitner)

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Babylon 5 - after they replaced Cmdr. Jeffrey Sinclair (Michael O'Hare) with Capt. John Sheridan (Bruce Boxleitner)

This I gotta agree with. But the reason why I did not mention it was because of why the change occured(O'Hare was having mental issues and it was affecting shooting) and because Boxleitner has a love hate relationship with the show. They had a reunion a few years ago and everyone agreed to come--but Boxleitner pulled out at the last minute due to "scheduling conflict?" when asked what he was shooting he said "Oh it was for meetings"

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Re-casting Jerry Stiller as Frank Costanza in Seinfeld. Barney Martin as Morty Seinfeld, too.

Jerry Stiller was also a huge addition to The King of Queens, where he initially turned it down, but then agreed to play the role after they had already started shooting. "Arthur Spooner" ended up being one of my favorite sitcom characters, along with Frank Costanza.

I liked the original Morty Seinfeld in the awesome episode "The Stakeout," but the new Morty definitely played a great role as the stubborn, grumpy Morty.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
In the William Christopher thread we are talking about how MASH actually got better when some of the original actors left(towards the ends we can all agree it got a but preachy)

Changes they made
McLean Stevenson(Lt Col Blake) for Harry Morgan (potter)
Larry Linville(Burns) for David Ogden Steirs(Winchester)
Wayne Rogers(trapper) For Mike Farrell(BJ HoneyCutt)---Not everyone agree with this--but I like Rogers--but having both him and Alan Alda both chasing woman was a bit much sometimes

I disagree with this, but I can understand why one would feel this way. For me it's matter of what you enjoyed about the show. I think the earlier cast was a lot funnier than the later cast and in every change you noted the former character for me was notably more funny. That said I think the show got increasingly more dramatic which was probably in large part do to the writing which for me makes sense considering how long some of the characters had to deal with life at war. I think that's what made MASH great though was that it was able to grow that way if you will and deliver on two fronts. Also, specifically to your point, I think it worked so well for MASH because the new characters were still great in their own ways.

I also think that Seven was a more interesting character.

As regards DS9, I'd say it was the shift in the storyline and the writing that made the biggest difference. The appearance of Worf aided in that to some degree and it the character of Worf even benefited from a development standpoint.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
I liked BJ better than Trapper and Potter better than Blake but I missed Frank Burns. I preferred the earlier seasons of MASH to the later ones when it was more of a comedy than a drama.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad