TV Brands

Sep 19, 2008
Spin the TV as a family expense that will make her and you happier. "You can't watch Netflix on that crappy little tv. You need to watch that crap in 4k UHD"

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Just treated myself to a new 55" Sharp Aquos in the Boxing Day sales. Loving it so far.

Had a 40" for years...which I also got on Boxing Day years ago. Just gave that one to my kid.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I have a 55' Samsung Smart TV. It works pretty well. Most of the apps run pretty smoothly on it and they seem to be updated with regularity. I'm not a tech wizard by any stretch, but it's an easy TV to use.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
If I was going to buy a TV right now, it'd probably be a TCL, great bang for the buck. I don't care about the Roku part (already have an Ultra).

But I still really like my 2016 Vizio P50, however because of the Roku, I never use Googlecast on it.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
If I was going to buy a TV right now, it'd probably be a TCL, great bang for the buck. I don't care about the Roku part (already have an Ultra).

I have my eye on the 40" 1080p TCL that's $200 at Amazon. Getting that size, resolution and smart-ness for under $200 is very tempting, but I'm trying to resist that temptation because the 43" 4K HDR TCL is only $260. I really don't need 4K or HDR, but the price difference is pretty reasonable just for future proofing and the geeky elation of having them. Even $260 is really cheap, but I have a 32" 1080p dumb TV that I can make do with for now, so I don't need to buy anything just yet. I'll try to hold out and see if that 4K set drops another $20-40 in the next few months, in which case I won't be able to resist any more.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I have my eye on the 40" 1080p TCL that's $200 at Amazon. Getting that size, resolution and smart-ness for under $200 is very tempting, but I'm trying to resist that temptation because the 43" 4K HDR TCL is only $260. I really don't need 4K or HDR, but the price difference is pretty reasonable just for future proofing and the geeky elation of having them. Even $260 is really cheap, but I have a 32" 1080p dumb TV that I can make do with for now, so I don't need to buy anything just yet. I'll try to hold out and see if that 4K set drops another $20-40 in the next few months, in which case I won't be able to resist any more.
Bestbuy has the 49" for $279 fyi. most other places have it for $300
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-49...d-tv-with-hdr-roku-tv/5878701.p?skuId=5878701

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I love my Vizio's. I became a fan when a few years ago, the guy in the apartment put a hanger on the mercery tube on the overhead sprayer causing it to go off on his floor and mine. Long story short my tv was literally pouring water out from the sides when I tilted it. I let it dry etc, plugged it in to see if it would work, and today it still works for me with no issues since.

Been committed since then. I did have one issue on a TV that was 3 years old, but it was easy enough to order a FULL set of the internal parts online for $60 and replace them all. Took 20-25 mins and works good as new.

Sep 19, 2008
Get a Samsung 4k UHD TV with HDR. You will not regret.

I remember getting mine about 2 years ago through the President's Day sale. You may also be able to get one cheap before the Super Bowl.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Personally, I am a Sony guy.

Their motion processing and upscaling have been the best in the industry for many years.

I still have my 2007 Sony XBR6 and it looks as good as any new 1080p tv on the market, and actually looks better than the cheaper 1080p TVs currently available.

That’s pretty impressive for technology that’s 11+ years old now.

If you are jus5 looking for a super cheap TV, A family member recently bought an Insignia 50” Tv from Best Buy for $200 and they love it. Very good picture quality for thr money. Insignia is Best Buy’s in house brand.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I've had great success with Samsung. Owned a 32" Samsung flat screen for 12 years before the motherboard blew out on it. Worked great until then, although the picture quality was what it was for a TV that was made in 2006.

I'm currently using a Vizio 55", Samsung 40" and a TCL 32" (to replace the old Samsung) with an Apple TV of various generations connected to each one. I've had the Samsung 40" for a little over 3 years and it has been great. The picture is very clean and it pairs very well with my Apple TV. I can turn my TV on and off by waking/sleeping my Apple TV so the actual Samsung remote is virtually useless to me unless I need to access the menu. The Vizio I got as a display model from Best Buy for a nice discount. The picture is great once you adjust the settings, but it does not have the same HDMI compatibility with the Apple TV like the Samsung so when I turn the Apple TV off/on I need to grab another remote to turn the TV off/on. Since it was a display model, I don't have the actual remote either so I've had to use a universal remote or the Vizio app for a remote. The TCL is nice, has a very good picture and is a very solid budget TV. The Roku feature isn't of any use to me since I have an Apple TV connected to it, but it's very easy to use if you need that sort of thing.

Overall, I'd go back to a Samsung if I had to replace my larger TV. Not that I dislike the Vizio or the TCL, but I've just had zero complaints with my Samsung units over the years.

Reactions: Roman Fell

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad