TV Brands

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
I'm looking to buy a low-mid size TV and I really have no idea where to look when it comes to brands these days. I went to BB the other day just to browse and there are so many new names out there that I have no idea where to start. I'd like something between 24-40in 1080p that doesn't break the bank.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I'd like something between 24-40in 1080p that doesn't break the bank.

Fort sort of a cheap just a tv thing, I don't think you can go wrong with the TCLs at Walmart for $200 or so. They include a built in Roku as well which I think is a nice value add, I'd rather have that than a generic smart tv interface.

I almost bought one myself last month but then I found a better deal on Craiglist.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
I tend to stay away from Vizio because they I've never had one last that long and Samsung is always a hundred $ or more for the same stuff.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
picked up a 65" Bravia 900F last month. really nice set. I also really liked the OLEDs I saw, but as my primary use is as PC monitor they were not suitable.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
LG
Panasonic
Samsung

Sony’s are good too, but the Sony markup has become a meme its so ridiculous. Their tv will output a comparable picture to a Samsung and cost $500+ more.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Sounds like Vizio and Samsung (and probably more) are adding Apple functionality to their TVs. Should be pretty awesome to have smart TVs that actually run Android and support both Google’s and Apple’s ecosystems.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I recently bought a TCL as well after seeing it rated very highly in terms of the "low/mid-range" type of TV. There's light-bleed (right term? on a black screen there are light spots in almost every corner), but I don't care as it's not my primary TV. Other than that, it looks and functions great.

As far as the higher end, I bought a Samsung a few years ago and love it. HDR looks incredible, but there still aren't a ton of sources for it.

I know you said you're just looking for 1080p, but 4k TVs are pretty cheap these days. Even if you can't take advantage of it, it could potentially be worth it for future-proofing.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
LG
Panasonic
Samsung

Sony’s are good too, but the Sony markup has become a meme its so ridiculous. Their tv will output a comparable picture to a Samsung and cost $500+ more.

Didn't even know Panasonic still made TV's. I have my old 42 inch Panasonic plasma in my bedroom from 2008 or so, the thing still runs like a champ. Love that TV.

Of course the negatives is it weights like 80lbs for a 42 inch TV and it is extremely hot and sort of a energy waster.

Reactions: PK Cronin

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Didn't even know Panasonic still made TV's. I have my old 42 inch Panasonic plasma in my bedroom from 2008 or so, the thing still runs like a champ. Love that TV.

Of course the negatives is it weights like 80lbs for a 42 inch TV and it is extremely hot and sort of a energy waster.

Yeah, Im still using my Panasonic VT50 from 2010. Its perfectly calibrated, the picture is so cinematic and rich, Im honestly going to be a bit sad moving on when I upgrade to 4k.

Panasonic stopped making plasma tvs awhile ago, I think they were the last company to finally throw in the towel on the tech. Their LEDs werent great, but their OLEDS are top tier, best color accuracy of any tv on the market...hood enough that visual effects artists can and do use them as professional monitors.

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
think of it as using my PC on the couch if that is less puzzling.

What do you use to transmit the signal?

Ethernet? Direct monitor connection? Some kind of streaming application/device?

I have a desktop upstairs but I wouldn't mind being able to use my 65' in the basement.

Both are ethernet connected to my router. (My house was pre-wired).

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
What do you use to transmit the signal?

Ethernet? Direct monitor connection? Some kind of streaming application/device?

I have a desktop upstairs but I wouldn't mind being able to use my 65' in the basement.

Both are ethernet connected to my router. (My house was pre-wired).

Direct connection. PC is right beside it.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
My previous TV was a Samsung, and it was great. I got about 8 years out of it.

My current TV is a Phillips. The colour, in particular red, is awful. It gets super saturated very easily and theres no way to correct it. I hope it dies soon so I have an excuse to buy a new one.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
My previous TV was a Samsung, and it was great. I got about 8 years out of it.

My current TV is a Phillips. The colour, in particular red, is awful. It gets super saturated very easily and theres no way to correct it. I hope it dies soon so I have an excuse to buy a new one.
Just put it on Kijiji for a reasonable price. People just ask absolutely ridiculous sums for electronics on Kijiji. Ask for any semi reasonable price and it'll fly out of your house.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
picked up an LG Saturday as best buy was having a flash sale and blowing out their 2018 models. We lucked out as that morning our Haier TV in the living room finally started crashing after six years of service. We ended up grabbing a 50" 4k UHD smart tv for 499 Canadian. I wanted to go with a 55" but they were all out of stock at our local store and I didn't want to wait for one to come in. Overall im very impressed with the picture quality for gaming and Netflix.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Just put it on Kijiji for a reasonable price. People just ask absolutely ridiculous sums for electronics on Kijiji. Ask for any semi reasonable price and it'll fly out of your house.

Unfortunately my wife doesnt care one iota about things like this, so unless it dies upgrading really isnt an option at this point. With two new bathrooms and a new kitchen needed in our house, "poor colours" isnt really going to fly as a reason for a new TV.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Unfortunately my wife doesnt care one iota about things like this, so unless it dies upgrading really isnt an option at this point. With two new bathrooms and a new kitchen needed in our house, "poor colours" isnt really going to fly as a reason for a new TV.

I'm in a similar boat. I thought my television broke, researched replacements (a larger tv), then was able to fix the issue I was having...for now. The TV I wanted just went on sale, but the wife said no because the current one is working again, even though it'll probably be short lived.

Last edited:

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I'm in a similar boat. I thought my television broke, researched replacements (a larger to), then was able to fix the issue I was having...for now. The TV I wanted just went on sale, but the wife said no because the current one is working again, even though it'll probably be short lived.

Oh the joys of having responsibilities and "adulting"

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I'm in a similar boat. I thought my television broke, researched replacements (a larger tv), then was able to fix the issue I was having...for now. The TV I wanted just went on sale, but the wife said no because the current one is working again, even though it'll probably be short lived.

Marriage sounds horrible!!! ;)

Reactions: HFBCommenter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad