Player Discussion Tuukka Rask - Part 2 (MOD # 598)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
We may look back on the decision to trade Martin Jones as a very, very bad one.

Said this from the beginning. Not because i thought he was better at the time, but because i thought he could play himself into some consideration...

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I hate when people compare Jones & Rask. They play for two different teams with two completely difference defenses. Put Jones behind this defense and he'd get rocked. Just look at the Sharks defense vs ours....theirs is significantly better, hell they have the Norris favorite playing for them

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
I hate when people compare Jones & Rask. They play for two different teams with two completely difference defenses. Put Jones behind this defense and he'd get rocked. Just look at the Sharks defense vs ours....theirs is significantly better, hell they have the Norris favorite playing for them

Didn't have to be an either/or situation. If both were kept, at least until the trade deadline, the backup situation would have been solved with both of them winning more games than the backups did this year. That alone would have locked a playoff spot.

Also, my gut tells me that Rask would have been even better being pushed by Jones.

I know there were reasons not to, but it would have solved some of this.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Didn't have to be an either/or situation. If both were kept, at least until the trade deadline, the backup situation would have been solved with both of them winning more games than the backups did this year. That alone would have locked a playoff spot.

Also, my gut tells me that Rask would have been even better being pushed by Jones.

I know there were reasons not to, but it would have solved some of this.

Jones wanted more than Boston was willing to spend and he wanted to be a starter.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
Devin Dubnyk plays in Edmonton and isn't seen as that good of a goalie.
Devin Dubnyk goes to Minnesota and has career years. Coincidence? No. A good defense makes a goalie even better

Martin Jones has very similar stats to Rask this year. If you put Rask behind SJ's defense, he's a Vezina candidate. Kind of like how he was a Vezina winner when we had a good defense.

Rask can't carry an average team. It's unfortunate but that is the case. Address the D

Last edited:

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
It's impossibleto compare goalies. That's why they give out 30 Vezinas each year.

Vezina is as much of a reflection of the defense as it is the goalie. Funny a guy like Dubnyk struggled in EDM/ARI, but goes to MIN and turned into a Vezina caliber goaltender :sarcasm:

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Devin Dubnyk plays in Edmonton isn't seen as that good of a goalie.
Devin Dubnyk goes to Minnesota and has career years. Coincidence? No. A good defense makes a goalie even better

Martin Jones has the exact very similar Rask this year. If you put Rask behind SJ's defense, he's a Vezina candidate. Kind of like how he was a Vezina winner when we had a good defense.

Rask can't carry an average team. It's unfortunate but that is the case. Address the D

Not sure I'd even call us an average team. our offense is 1 MAYBE 2 lines deep and the defense mostly 3rd pairing guys

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Well he would have been and he woulda got well less than 7 mil.

No he wouldn't have been. Boston brought him in to be the back-up lol. He wasn't going to be the #1 here because Sweeney had no intentions of trading Rask....that's why Jones wouldn't sign here.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
No he wouldn't have been. Boston brought him in to be the back-up lol. He wasn't going to be the #1 here because Sweeney had no intentions of trading Rask....that's why Jones wouldn't sign here.

One of the most respected hockey writers on this board has reported that the plan was to keep Jones and trade Rask, but the Bruins got cold feet after they were caught off guard by Hamilton.

They decided it would be too much turnover in one offseason to trade Lucic, Hamilton, and Rask.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Vezina is as much of a reflection of the defense as it is the goalie. Funny a guy like Dubnyk struggled in EDM/ARI, but goes to MIN and turned into a Vezina caliber goaltender :sarcasm:

He was actually pretty good his brief time in Arizona, saved his career really.

Patrick Roy in his prime would of been a leaky faucet behind the Oiler teams Dubnyk played for.

But your right in that the quality of the team defense has an impact the numbers of a goaltender, no doubt about it.

The way the game it played now, so structured and robotic, goalies have become more puck-blockers than puck-stoppers.

Rask when he's at his best his form is totally controlled. Once he starts to scramble he's not very good. Price to me is the same way. Both relatively robotic goaltenders in comparison to say a Quick or a Lundqvist, the former who relies on his athleticism, the other relies on playing deep in the crease.

Good team defense is always going to have more of an impact on robotic-style goaltenders.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Martin Jones has very similar stats to Rask this year. If you put Rask behind SJ's defense, he's a Vezina candidate. Kind of like how he was a Vezina winner when we had a good defense.

Not really sure anyone is asking him to carry them.... a better than .888 sv pct in 2017 isn't too much to ask is it?

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
He was actually pretty good his brief time in Arizona, saved his career really.

Patrick Roy in his prime would of been a leaky faucet behind the Oiler teams Dubnyk played for.

But your right in that the quality of the team defense has an impact the numbers of a goaltender, no doubt about it.

The way the game it played now, so structured and robotic, goalies have become more puck-blockers than puck-stoppers.

Rask when he's at his best his form is totally controlled. Once he starts to scramble he's not very good. Price to me is the same way. Both relatively robotic goaltenders in comparison to say a Quick or a Lundqvist, the former who relies on his athleticism, the other relies on playing deep in the crease.

Good team defense is always going to have more of an impact on robotic-style goaltenders.

Even someone like Thomas who was know for the famous battlefly. Your 100% right, guys like Rask & Price rely on positioning/rebound control more so than guys like Quick who rely on their athleticism. Not saying Rask/Price have no athleticism, but they don't use it nearly has much.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008

Rask costs twice as much.

It's nearly impossible to tell which goalie would play better with which defense. SOME goalies play better when they face more shots. Some don't. Unless we actually swap the goalies, we have no idea. Who is to say Jones would do better or worse here? We don't know. We never really had the opportunity to minus those few minutes a few years ago when we both had them under our control.

The problem is Rask is paid to be an elite goalie. Paid to be able to carry a team. Paid to take a workload. He has the contract, and unfortunately, isn't playing to the paygrade. He CAN play to that level for half a season, a month or to here and there, but fatigue, either physical or mental, catches up wit him. He gets off his game VERY easy. THAT is my biggest issue with Rask.

Everyone talks about the bad defense in front of him, but that wasn't a concern in the beginning of the season when he was putting up elite numbers. Julien had a system, but his numbers were already trending downwards at that point. And now, I think it's at least 1/5-10 goals were one of those, "wishes he could have that one back" kind of goals. The kind he should have had, but didn't. The kind of saves that the other teams mediocre and lower paid goalies make to keep their team at least one goal ahead. At that pay grade, Rask NEEDS to be making some of those saves that "average goalies" don't make. He hasn't been. And actually, he's been doing the opposite more often than not. The Bruins shouldn't need to score 4-6 goals a night to win every game. Not with that 7 million dollar goalie standing in net.

Last edited:

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
It can't just be dismissed as the defense and the team in front of him.

You know who was able to look great and put up great numbers behind this roster? Tuukka Rask, the first half of the season. It's not like he's been stuck putting up 910 all season.

Things changed drastically for him behind the very same team. For whatever we suffered with Carlo's struggles, we got a healthy Krug and the offense exploded with the team playing with more confidence overall. And Rask's numbers took a nosedive.

We saw the inconsistency last year as well. You can't reasonably get away from this being an issue with him, in some compacity.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
It can't just be dismissed as the defense and the team in front of him.

You know who was able to look great and put up great numbers behind this roster? Tuukka Rask, the first half of the season. It's not like he's been stuck putting up 910 all season.

Things changed drastically for him behind the very same team. For whatever we suffered with Carlo's struggles, we got a healthy Krug and the offense exploded with the team playing with more confidence overall. And Rask's numbers took a nosedive.

We saw the inconsistency last year as well. You can't reasonably get away from this being an issue with him, in some compacity.

That's why I think there was more to the shot Rask took against NSH then the team is letting people know. Ever since that game he hasn't been the same goaltender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad