News Article: Tuukka Rask, Brad Marchand named to 2017 NHL All-Star roster

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Tuukka Rask, Brad Marchand named to 2017 NHL All-Star roster
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...star-roster/NVlQo5Pw7mis2ualqkr29K/story.html

ST. LOUIS — Though still in a dogfight to avoid missing the playoffs for a third straight season, the Bruins learned Tuesday that veteran forward Brad Marchand and franchise goalie Tuukka Rask were named to the NHL All-Star rosters for the league’s annual festivities to be held later this month in Los Angeles.

Marchand, his goal scoring touch warming up of late with three goals in the last two games, leads the club in scoring (13-22—35) headed into the game here Tuesday night against the Blues.

Rask, in contention for a second Vezina Trophy of his career, has returned to spectacular form this season, posting a 20-9-3 record and league-high five shutouts.

It is the first time both Marchand, 28, and Rask, 29, have been named to the All-Star roster.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Glad they didn't name Bergeron. He needs the rest and he didn't have the stats this year. But who will backcheck at the game? :sarcasm:

Would have been nice to see Pasta make it. But I think he'll make it someday. Just a hunch.

Silly that Chicago has four players named. At least Toews admitted others were more deserving than him.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
As a whole player, I'd take Bergeron over Marchand, but I can understand with the Bergeron slump/injury why Marchand got the nod. Still seems like it's generous to give us an "extra" slot this season, but it's all about votes.

But please, don't let Marchand get injured on or off the ice in LA.

Yeah, I'll watch. Because a 3 day hockey drought in January is too much.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
Seems like Marchand made it because he was a better option for LW; they needed a Buffalo player and they selected Okposo.

Either way, our roster looks horrible against the rest hahaha

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Some "other" fans will bot be happy that Brad made the all star list.

Good for Him !!!

Just my $.02, but I have noticed a bit of a softening toward Marchand among fans outside of Boston. His heroic performances in the IIHF and World Cup, as well as the numbers he put up last year, have squashed any belief 'haters' may have had that he's nothing more than Sean Avery 2.0.

I actually caught a commercial on a Canadian feed with Marchand (and his famous smirk) sharing his favorite recipe! I think it was a 'Happy Birthday Canada' or something of that sort.

My first reaction was the entire country must be cringing when this aired, but then it dawned on me that he's not really public enemy #1 anymore.

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
I still won't watch it.

Same here. I haven't seen an all star game since Tim Thomas last played in one. To me it's just a stupid break from watching the Bruins and makes teams suffer by condensing the schedule to make up for it.

Did they get rid of fan voting? It was a circus last year.

TCDaniels

Legen... Wait for it
Feb 12, 2003
Maine
NHL just revealed the jerseys... Atlantic Division will be wearing Gold with Black trim, so that's cool...

I know a certain 9-year-old whose favorite player wears #63 that will be jonesing for a black and gold AS jersey.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
There are whispers that Chara will be named by the NHL to be an All Star as he is rumored to have made the Top 100 of all time list and the NHL wants the active players on that list to be in LA and play.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
There are whispers that Chara will be named by the NHL to be an All Star as he is rumored to have made the Top 100 of all time list and the NHL wants the active players on that list to be in LA and play.

He certainly deserves to be in that Top 100 list. Just such a unique combination of elite size and skill that we may never see again. Also, who wouldn't love to see big Z defend his hardest slapshot title (I doubt he comes close to his old record)

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

How would that work? Each of the four teams gets a "Honda/Subway/Discover Card/NHL100" sponsored bonus player? Praying for an injury to exactly one of three Atlantic defensemen, or a case of Crosbyitis?

I couldn't care less if Chara plays in the actual ASG. I kinda hope he rests. But I think a little piece of everyone wants to know if he can still hit 108.8...or at least 108....in the slapshot competition on skills day.

And is he really a top 100 NHLer of all time? Obviously, he's a future HHOF and nobody in the Garden will ever wear 33 in black, gold, green, or white ever again. Thinking of where I'd put him in the Bruins, top 10 might not be a stretch, but it's easy as hell to get him out of the top 5 by looking at the rafters. But top 100 of all NHLers ever? Definitely in the final decile, if at all.

Last edited:

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
And is he really a top 100 NHLer of all time? Obviously, he's a future HHOF and nobody in the Garden will ever wear 33 in black, gold, green, or white ever again. Thinking of where I'd put him in the Bruins, top 10 might not be a stretch, but it's easy as hell to get him out of the top 5 by looking at the rafters. But top 100 of all NHLers ever? Definitely in the final decile, if at all.

Interesting discussion. NHL has existed for 100 years. Divide it up into 4 20 year eras. That's 20 players per era, give or take, so call it 6 D, 6W, 4 C and 4 G. Is Chara a top 6 defenseman of the last 20 years? I've got Lidstrom 1st, obviously. But given Chara's the preminent shutdown D of his era, and his career is almost over, you have to put him up there.

Sure there is an argument for him not to be, given some of the younger guys, but the top 100 list seems to be weighted towards guys whose careers are almost over, so with that factor, he's in. As always, YMMV

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
I am happy for Tuukka - the former goalie of my hometown team Ilves. Great to see that he is doing great after last season that was perhaps the worst in his career so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad