Turris?

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
I don't about you guys but I think he's had an incredibly poor series against the Bruins. Is he hurt? It seems like every single one of our big guys has found a way to make an impact in this series except him. Karlsson, MacArthur, Ryan,Brassard,Hoffman,Stone have all chipped in with big plays. I just don't think the guy plays well against these heavy, physical teams like the Bruins. It's been disappointing to see considering he's supposed to be an major part of our offense

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Turris is one of my favourite players but I don't think I've seen him win a single puck battle. Guy can't handle 82 games + playoffs.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I don't about you guys but I think he's had an incredibly poor series against the Bruins. Is he hurt? It seems like every single one of our big guys has found a way to make an impact in this series except him. Karlsson, MacArthur, Ryan,Brassard,Hoffman,Stone have all chipped in with big plays. I just don't think the guy plays well against these heavy, physical teams like the Bruins. It's been disappointing to see considering he's supposed to be an major part of our offense

This fan base seems to constantly forget that there is another team on the ice who also wants to win just as badly. First, Turris seems to constantly be playing against Chara who while at 40 yrs old is still a huge force on defence & much stronger than Turris. Tough to win board battles against the strongest guy in the NHL. Second, Boston as a team has been known to be one of the best defensive teams in the NHL, if not the best & although Boston is down a number of guys there replacements seem to play exactly the same way. Third, Bergeron is the best two way forward in the NHL & is the best faceoff guy in the NHL & plays on one of the best offensive lines in the NHL.

IMO Ottawa's biggest & most obvious problem has been on the PP where they have had numerous chances & can barely get a shot on net let alone any kind of offensive zone time on the PP. And finally Boston also has one of the best goaltenders in hockey in Tuuka Rask who doesn't make as many mistakes in net as Anderson does.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
injured or not, i think the few days off along with getting a goal in game 6 is going to wake him up a bit

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
He got a goal yesterday so hoping that wakes him up. Yeah he's more of a 1 a centre ideally than an outright #1.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Nah, Brass is the 1C for the playoffs.
Rangers centers aren't doing too great either. 2 goals between Zib, Stepan, Miller, Hayes and Lindberg.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Turris is one of my favourite players but I don't think I've seen him win a single puck battle. Guy can't handle 82 games + playoffs.

I thought he looked pretty good and determined in games 1 and 2, but really faded after that.

Issue is not just puck battles though --- tons of giveaways and bad decisions with the puck.

But I also thought he didn't look great in the regular season. His numbers weren't bad, but that didn't tell the whole story. Didn't look nearly as good to me as he had in 2015/2016 prior to the injury.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Turris has definitely flashed at times, but has to be better. But really, I think Brassard's puck luck has stood out more than anything (Ryan too). I don't think Brass has really been that much better than Turris to be honest. They have both worked hard to fight through a tough Bruins team. Brass has been better on the PP, mostly.

The think what I'm most optimistic about is that all Stanley Cup contenders typically have a two-headed beast of forwards, and in any given series, one of them might not make a major impact. Look back at Toews/Kane or Crosby / Malkin - there have been many series their teams have won where one of those guys was off and produced very little. But because the other stepped up and was hot, they lived to play another round, and then the other player steps up. And so it goes.

For instance, people often point out Ovechkin's poor playoffs because how he produces has typically meant whether the Caps advance or not, but they don't realize his career PPG in the playoffs is quite a bit better than Toews (and not far off Kane).

For us, to have Turris and Stone have an off series, and still win 4-2 over the Bruins, this is great stuff and exactly what I wanted to see. I fully expect Turris and Stone to resume their roles as one of our top forwards. And I fully expect Brass and Ryan to have less impact against the Rags. But that's how you win.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
He's been making poor decisions for most of the season. Especially on the power play. Despite all that he's produced as expected in the regular season.

As others have stated, hopefully his goal in game 6 wakes him up

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
In game 6 he set up Stone for a breakaway and also scored a beauty in the second. He had a subpar series but he showed up when it mattered most.

The part of his game that's most disappointing is his face-offs. He's shown very little improvement in that aspect of his game since we acquired him like six years ago.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He's been one of our most, if not THE most consistent forward we've had all season.

Hoffman had a slow start. Stone was injured a few times. Brassard had trouble with chemistry and production, and I won't even mention Bobby Ryan.

And it's not as if Kyle didn't have his own injury to deal with.

WadeRedden said:
The part of his game that's most disappointing is his face-offs. He's shown very little improvement in that aspect of his game since we acquired him like six years ago.

He was 2nd on the team behind Pageau's 54.8% with a 53.1% which is pretty good.

Our team average is 51% which is good for 10th in the NHL.

Here are his faceoff numbers since he came to Ottawa:

2011-2012 - 47.2%
2012-2013 - 49.0%
2013-2014 - 50.6%
2014-2015 - 50.1%
2015-2016 - 53.1%

I don't know about you, but that looks like improvement to me.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad