Turris bought out, should we try him with cheap contract?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up on a contender on the cheap as a 3rd line center. He's still decent as a player. Just because he was bought out and will get a cheap contract doesn't mean it will be with a basement dweller.

If he'd come to Detroit for one year? Sure. He's an upgrade on Gagner. I could see him end up on a real playoff team, though.

Reactions: Rzombo4 prez

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Yes, depending on the deal. He's got chemistry with Mantha and would push Fabbri to the Wing on the 2nd line.

Reactions: RedMenace

Vector Cereal

Jan 30, 2020
I'm all for it. Free agent centers are limited this year and a 1 to 3 year experiment won't affect the rebuild. Hoping he was unhappy with limited minutes in Nashville. Winnipeg and Minny will probably be in the mix. I think he also liked being in Ottawa and they should jump on anyone who does.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Theres no way he signs for 1 million, espescially not in Detroit. Perhaps he´ll take a discount to play for a contending team, but more than likely he will sign a pretty decent contract, a bunch of teams will be gunning to get him for center depth.

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
If he comes here on a decently priced deal (max $2.25 or so) I’m all for it. He might be someone we can trade off at the deadline too for an extra pick.

Worse case scenario we have him for another year or two at low value and he takes the 3c/4c spot.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Theres no way he signs for 1 million, espescially not in Detroit. Perhaps he´ll take a discount to play for a contending team, but more than likely he will sign a pretty decent contract, a bunch of teams will be gunning to get him for center depth.

He will sign like Brassard after a buyout for somewhere.

Brassard signed for 1.2M.

For sure.

With 6M, he is a 6M problem, but with 1M, he is a 1M bargain.

Caphit vs. value always.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
If he were open to a one-year prove it deal for decent money, we could potentially offer that and ship him at the deadline with salary retained.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I would be for it if we didn't sign Gagner/Filppula. Now that we have Gagner pass for me. We don't want too many middling players outside of our core clogging up ice time. But if its only 1 year it won't hurt by any stretch.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
We should absolutely try and bring Turris in for two or three years. We have a giant hole down the middle, and I think it’s very important to have someone who can play to not only help someone like Zadina perform, but to also give time to Veleno, Rasmussen, and now Niederbach to develop as well.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
When I saw he got bought out....

Yes. Sign this man.

I think someone like him will go a long way in helping the prospects develop.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
He will sign like Brassard after a buyout for somewhere.

Brassard signed for 1.2M.

For sure.

With 6M, he is a 6M problem, but with 1M, he is a 1M bargain.

Caphit vs. value always.

I see the comparision, but Brassard came off a rough year with 19 points and 1 point in the play-offs. Turris had a decent year, just not worth the 6 million he was getting. I reckon he either signs for cheap on a contender for a year, or goes for a 2-3 year deal at roughly 3 million, at the very least.

He would be a perfect third line center on a bunch of play-off teams, and at 3 million there's plenty of teams who can afford it.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
If I am Turris I would be telling my agent to get me to Detroit. Sign a one year deal, get more playing time here than anywhere else, and see if you can rebuild your value.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
We should absolutely try and bring Turris in for two or three years. We have a giant hole down the middle, and I think it’s very important to have someone who can play to not only help someone like Zadina perform, but to also give time to Veleno, Rasmussen, and now Niederbach to develop as well.
I see zero harm in throwing a $2M (or even $2.5M) x 2 year deal at him. Affordable short-term improvements are part of giving the existing kids a chance.

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I legit don't get the heavy interest in this guy. He has to be the most mentioned player on the Wings forum/Wings related outsiders lately. He is a yet another soft player that puts up 30 ish pts and brings nothing else to the table.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Max 2 years. Max 2M. Also No NTC/NMC, we have full ability to move him at will (absolutely no negotiation on this point).

I really don't care about our team being good to be honest. We are about Youth, and improvement. I don't care about any vet at all above age 26.

We need assets. Turris at 2M does not waste our money to do buyouts. And could be an asset if we flip him.

And I really like what DintheB said... Turris will get the most playing time possible here.
I mean it could be argued that Turris, if he played well, could legit be our top line C, not the 2C.
At worst he's the 2C, will likely get some PP time.
You want to convince other teams you still are an NHL player... you will need playing time, and accepting a 3C role on a contender is a good way to end your career for ever. Personally if I was him, id only sign a 1 year deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad