Pre-Game Talk: Turn the Page: Oilers at Kings Game 3 April 26th

Status
Not open for further replies.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I can't see any world where a non-injured Skinner doesn't start Game 3 and Game 4 regardless of the result in Game 3. Right or wrong, he's their guy for this and if he continues to falter, they'll go down with him leading to a summer of turmoil.
It potentially would have far reaching impacts beyond just a summer of turmoil.

I just can’t see him getting game 4 if he goes in to LA and let’s in another 5 goals in Game 3.

In fact, it would be stupidity of epic proportions to do so.

So, then again, you might be correct.

Reactions: Puljulainen

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
It potentially would have far reaching impacts beyond just a summer of turmoil.

I just can’t see him getting game 4 if he goes in to LA and let’s in another 5 goals in Game 3.

In fact, it would be stupidity of epic proportions to do so.

So, then again, you might be correct.

If they didn't when they had a backup last year who had NHL playoff experience with good numbers, I can't see how they'd do it with a backup with no NHL playoff experience and zero starts this year with a save percentage over .890 vs. a playoff team and only one higher than .875. Even with this coach being different than last year's coach.

If Campbell had officially worked himself into being an option, I could have seen it happening. Not with Pickard. The fact that he team didn't even try one game with Campbell after demotion tells me they aren't willing to consider him as an option.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
If they didn't when they had a backup last year who had NHL playoff experience with good numbers, I can't see how they'd do it with a backup with no NHL playoff experience and zero starts this year with a save percentage over .890 vs. a playoff team and only one higher than .875.

If Campbell had officially worked himself into being an option, I could have seen it happening. Not with Pickard.
I guess I’m wishful thinking/hoping that the tall foreheads remember last year and are reminded that running him until the end cratered their play offs in a play off season that could have put the Oilers in the finals against beatable eastern teams.

But You’re probably right, there won’t be appetite to running a career journeymen if it comes to that.

I mean heck, who do we think he is, Adin Hill or something?

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I guess I’m wishful thinking/hoping that the tall foreheads remember last year and are reminded that running him until the end cratered their play offs in a play off season that could have put the Oilers in the finals against beatable eastern teams.

But You’re probably right, there won’t be appetite to running a career journeymen if it comes to that.

I mean heck, who do we think he is, Adin Hill or something?

Adin HIll at least had a little bit of track showing as an decent NHL goalie even on poor teams despite many less years as a pro. Vegas also went into the season with the intention being that Hill and Thompson would be sharing the net, but only because of injuries did Brossoit play a bigger role. Early in the season when all three were healthy Brossoit was the one waived.

Hill wasn't truly a third string goalie, he was just being slowly worked back in from injury while Brossoit was playing well making it appears as if he was a third string in the playoffs with Thompson injured and out of the lineup.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Maybe we could try, I don't know... Not playing Nurse and Ceci together this time?

If they didn't when they had a backup last year who had NHL playoff experience with good numbers, I can't see how they'd do it with a backup with no NHL playoff experience and zero starts this year with a save percentage over .890 vs. a playoff team and only one higher than .875. Even with this coach being different than last year's coach.

If Campbell had officially worked himself into being an option, I could have seen it happening. Not with Pickard. The fact that he team didn't even try one game with Campbell after demotion tells me they aren't willing to consider him as an option.
Campbell just gave up 5 to the baby Kings yesterday, sooooo....

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Adin HIll at least had a little bit of track showing as an decent NHL goalie even on poor teams despite many less years as a pro. Vegas also went into the season with the intention being that Hill and Thompson would be sharing the net, but only because of injuries did Brossoit play a bigger role. Early in the season when all three were healthy Brossoit was the one waived.

Hill wasn't truly a third string goalie, he was just being slowly worked back in from injury while Brossoit was playing well making it appears as if he was a third string in the playoffs with Thompson injured and out of the lineup.
Skinner has more reg season games played before these playoffs than Adin Hill did before his SC season.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Skinner has more reg season games played before these playoffs than Adin Hill did before his SC season.
Which goes back to suggest he's really their only option. Even though I'm a little disgusted with his game yesterday.

I've no issue trying to compare Skinner to Hill, my issue was daring to dream that Pickard could pull it off like Hill (assuming I didn't misinterpret your intent a few posts back) when there isn't anything comparable in their histories to suggest Pickard could pull that off.

Before last night, I believed in Skinner and that he was going to have a breakout playoff. Now, I'm very concerned about him, but a couple good games can erase it. Most goalies will have a below average to bad game at some point in a series, the good ones don't let it turn into two or three bad games like he did in his rookie run at it.

I'd probably feel a lot different as well if it happened to be in Game 3 with Edmonton up 2-0 in the series as I would expect LA to win that game in that scenario no matter what so better to burn your bad game in one you're most likely to lose anyways. Kind of like when Edmonton got lit up for Game 4 in 2022.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
We need to keep the puck out of our net. Maybe we can get past the Kings while overcoming 4 and 5 goals against in one game, but there's no cup win with that defense and goaltending

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
We need to keep the puck out of our net. Maybe we can get past the Kings while overcoming 4 and 5 goals against in one game, but there's no cup win with that defense and goaltending

Edmonton hasn't won a playoff Game scoring less than 4 goals since Game 7 vs. the Kings in 2022. They've only won 1 game scoring less than four goals since Game 2 vs. the Ducks in 2017.

They've also lost 8 games over that span (dating back to the Duck series) where they did score 4 or more goals.

Last edited:
Reactions: McBeastMode

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Blaming the defense is a cop out these first 2 games. This is on Skinner. Every team, even great teams, will have 4-5 high danger changes. The problem is they ALL go in when its playoffs verses skinner.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I can't see any world where a non-injured Skinner doesn't start Game 3 and Game 4 regardless of the result in Game 3. Right or wrong, he's their guy for this and if he continues to falter, they'll go down with him leading to a summer of turmoil.
What you're describing is last season. At least for me and some others. Made worse when the teams big offseason answer was getting Connor Brown. lol

A fix was so possible. Even getting Campbell back in the mix at some point could have been possible. Thru it all management was determined to go with Skinner after last postseason. Other than that they are all in. But not addressing goalie file is of course such a factor. I just don't know why the org is mortgaging everything on "Will Skinner be good enough in playoffs" its not the most astute bet imo.

My take is Holland wants his big goalie hire misfire to be buried in the minors indefinitely, out of sight, out of mind, while we're still paying him. So Holland compounds the problem of getting Campbell by not even having Campbell in any plan anymore. Some astute posters here figured Campbell would be back. I doubt that injury or not, Health or not, performance or not.

The Oilers are playing some of the best hockey in the first round. Watch some of the other series and see. The Oilers are limiting HDSC, limiting shots, defending on pk impeccably. This is not on the team. Its one player that needs to be better and more consistent. Even a crawl to a .900 save % would be helpful. Limiting to 3GAA would be helpful.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I’ll be ecstatic with a .900 save percentage from Skinner but that seems impossible since he shits the bed every playoffs. If it weren’t for Campbell bailing him out last season we would have been knocked out in the 1st round. (Not endorsing Campbell but I do think it was a critical error not bringing in a goalie who could challenge Skinner more. Pickard has been great so maybe he is capable. We will likely have to see)

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
What you're describing is last season. At least for me and some others. Made worse when the teams big offseason answer was getting Connor Brown. lol

A fix was so possible. Even getting Campbell back in the mix at some point could have been possible. Thru it all management was determined to go with Skinner after last postseason. Other than that they are all in. But not addressing goalie file is of course such a factor. I just don't know why the org is mortgaging everything on "Will Skinner be good enough in playoffs" its not the most astute bet imo.

My take is Holland wants his big goalie hire misfire to be buried in the minors indefinitely, out of sight, out of mind, while we're still paying him. So Holland compounds the problem of getting Campbell by not even having Campbell in any plan anymore. Some astute posters here figured Campbell would be back. I doubt that injury or not, Health or not, performance or not.
I know but we really are backed into the corner even further than we were last year with Campbell. I was calling for Campbell in Game 5 and 6 last year despite being his biggest critic most of the year.

For the bolded part, my contention was that their cap situation made it impossible until the last few weeks, but I did think he would have got a couple games once they could have fit him in. I was wrong, but I think part of it was that Pickard was winning anyways (granted vs. lesser competition) so you have a coach that also doesn't want to upset the room if they are winning.

Anyways the ship has sailed and the teams only hope is for Skinner to figure it out, so at this point I've got to cheer for it as the alternative is depressing.

Another thing to consider is perhaps the leadership group in the room did actually verbalize that they didn't want Campbell back. If so, I could see why the coach and GM wouldn't attempt it. But I doubt that happened, just a possible scenario.

Reactions: 2for1PizzaPastuh

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
game is over and its time to move on

positives:
- Holloway is a stud and has arrived
- almost won despite the top 6 deathly quiet
- Cam Talbot looks shaky too
- Special teams were good
- King are a mediocre home team

gonna need a better performance from Stu Skinner obviously...gonna need to steal a game in LA, why not tomorrow night

what else you got?

Hopefully, they draw the right conclusions. As expected, the lack of focus and goaltending mistakes was the undoing.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
My contention was that their cap situation made it impossible until the last few weeks, but I did think he would have got a couple games once they could have fit him in. I was wrong, but I think part of it was that Pickard was winning anyways (granted vs. lesser competition) so you have a coach that also doesn't want to upset the room if they are winning.

Anyways the ship has sailed and the teams only hope is for Skinner to figure it out, so at this point I've got to cheer for it as the alternative is depressing.

Another thing to consider is perhaps the leadership group in the room did actually verbalize that they didn't want Campbell back. If so, I could see why the coach and GM wouldn't attempt it. But I doubt that happened, just a possible scenario.

If anything, the only hope for this team is to not play Skinner. He's proven without a shadow of a doubt so far that he's not cut out for playoff hockey.

At least with Pickard there is a hope and a prayer that he can rise to an occasion.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I know but we really are backed into the corner even further than we were last year with Campbell. I was calling for Campbell in Game 5 and 6 last year despite being his biggest critic most of the year.

For the bolded part, my contention was that their cap situation made it impossible until the last few weeks, but I did think he would have got a couple games once they could have fit him in. I was wrong, but I think part of it was that Pickard was winning anyways (granted vs. lesser competition) so you have a coach that also doesn't want to upset the room if they are winning.

Understood. See some similar scenarios. Its odd but I think that the team actually thinks Skinner is their guy. I think that was molded under Woody, who was strictly in Skinners camp having coached him in AHL. That has just continued as status quo under KK so as not to upset things as you state. I've felt similarly. Still, the org has to be more proactive with doing something to address the cap that is being paid to Campbell. They are just trying to make him go away. I dont think any performance scenario see's Campbell back here. Certainly not as a starter. You'd wonder at this point if they had him as an emergency callup in case of injury. Its one of the oddest things. Lets pay this guy 5Min/ and then bury him.

Oh well, its where we are at.

The trouble though despite what was said in the other thread about Skinners slow glove hand not being his fault is the Oilers still have to mitigate that, and the Kings or any other team can still exploit that. I fear we haven't seen the worst Skinner GA yet but we haven't seen the worst Talbot either. Series is going like I envisioned with lukewarm goaltending.

Reactions: 2for1PizzaPastuh

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Which goes back to suggest he's really their only option. Even though I'm a little disgusted with his game yesterday.

I've no issue trying to compare Skinner to Hill, my issue was daring to dream that Pickard could pull it off like Hill (assuming I didn't misinterpret your intent a few posts back) when there isn't anything comparable in their histories to suggest Pickard could pull that off.

Before last night, I believed in Skinner and that he was going to have a breakout playoff. Now, I'm very concerned about him, but a couple good games can erase it. Most goalies will have a below average to bad game at some point in a series, the good ones don't let it turn into two or three bad games like he did in his rookie run at it.

I'd probably feel a lot different as well if it happened to be in Game 3 with Edmonton up 2-0 in the series as I would expect LA to win that game in that scenario no matter what so better to burn your bad game in one you're most likely to lose anyways. Kind of like when Edmonton got lit up for Game 4 in 2022.
Well, we can agree that he needs to step up, and now. Let’s hope.

Short leash.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
I’ll be ecstatic with a .900 save percentage from Skinner but that seems impossible since he shits the bed every playoffs. If it weren’t for Campbell bailing him out last season we would have been knocked out in the 1st round. (Not endorsing Campbell but I do think it was a critical error not bringing in a goalie who could challenge Skinner more. Pickard has been great so maybe he is capable. We will likely have to see)
It's so sad and our standards should be higher but yeah skinner doing 0.900 is almost unfathomable.

Basically every team this playoff has had their goalie keep goals under two.

I wouldn't be surprised if we went with Pickard this game.
I don't think that will happen but honeslty knob needs to have put him on notice that he could get pulled and would sit the next game. The whole "I know who I am" instead of taking responsibility needs to stop. Imagine if this was koskenin. Media treated him much worse.

Reactions: McDrai
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad