Tuomo Ruutu

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Curious. Is Joni Pitkanen still a scout for us?
Finnmedia reported in 2020 that he stopped doing that "a year ago" and was a stay at home dad for three kids (now 7, 9 and 11) while his wife was specializing as a pediatrician. There's a lot of travelling involved in scouting and it wasn't possible in his life situation.

ONO94

Jan 18, 2010
I remember being big mad about the trade when it happened but I quickly became a Ruutu fan. He was basically everything we wanted out of Ladd just a couple years more developed. A classic JR wheeling and dealing 1 for 1 trade.
Or really a classic JR move that sold the future for a chase at one year of playoff hope. Ruutu was coming off a serious injury in Chicago and played a style that was not conducive to staying healthy. Whereas Ladd had a few minor injuries, was younger and just starting to develop his game at Carolina--i think points in 10 straight when he was traded? Just shocked JR didn't include a 2nd round pick....

Reactions: DaveG

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I was in a lab at NC State during that trade deadline (2008) checking the forums for trades. I was PISSED. That was one of the only JR trades I hated from the get-go. Looking back, we didn't give up a premium asset in Ladd, so it wasn't as bad as I thought, but I do think Ladd had more good hockey in him than Ruutu did at that point.

My favorite JR trade was the Ozolins and babyface (Byron Ritchie) for Kevyn Adams, Tomas Malec, and Bret Hedican. I just looked it up and there was a conditional 2nd. I don't remember us receiving a 2nd. I wonder what that condition was. Nevertheless, this was a damn fun trade. Splashy. We gave up a little prospect and we got one back, both prospects being nonfactors ultimately but I totally thought Malec was going to be a great player when John Forslund came to Broughton High School the next year and told us that Malec was a name to remember, umprompted. Adams was a fan favorite and still is a beloved guy. Hedican too, and he was a hell of a player. Just a great trade, and still to this day one of the biggest wins in Hurricanes history.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Or really a classic JR move that sold the future for a chase at one year of playoff hope. Ruutu was coming off a serious injury in Chicago and played a style that was not conducive to staying healthy. Whereas Ladd had a few minor injuries, was younger and just starting to develop his game at Carolina--i think points in 10 straight when he was traded? Just shocked JR didn't include a 2nd round pick....
My post wasn't really an endorsement for JR.

Ultimately the trade worked out better for Chicago obviously but on player value alone it was pretty even. Ruutu isn't responsible for the dumpster fire that happened here most of his tenure just like Ladd wasn't really a key player in any of his Cup wins.

Reactions: Chrispy and DaveG

ONO94

Jan 18, 2010
My post wasn't really an endorsement for JR.

Ultimately the trade worked out better for Chicago obviously but on player value alone it was pretty even. Ruutu isn't responsible for the dumpster fire that happened here most of his tenure just like Ladd wasn't really a key player in any of his Cup wins.
But it really wasn't a good swap--Ladd went on to be play almost every game for the next seven years of his career and became captain of the Jets. He played 534 games over that time with 154 g/358 pts. Ruutu played 474 games over the same time period, scoring 96 g/226 pts. Because he was younger, Ladd cost 27,450,00 over that time and Ruutu 32,650,000. It was JR making a move just to make a move that cost the team more money and got less production.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Not according to the team directory. Here's the current scouting team per the website:

Director of Pro ScoutingMark Craig
Amateur ScoutsBob Luccini
Don Elland
Daniel Eklund
Cody Nickolet
Eric Fink
Oleg Smirnov
Jokke Nevalainen
Rhys Jessop
Ian Meagher
Pro ScoutsDavid Burstyn
John McNamara
Trace Linton

That being said, it's entirely possible he stays in touch with them in an unofficial, non-paycheck type of capacity.
I’ve always wondered if they have guys who unofficially work for us (or any team) on more of a contract basis. Cover tourneys or hard to reach areas because they can and we slide them some dough for their time and opinions.

But it really wasn't a good swap--Ladd went on to be play almost every game for the next seven years of his career and became captain of the Jets. He played 534 games over that time with 154 g/358 pts. Ruutu played 474 games over the same time period, scoring 96 g/226 pts. Because he was younger, Ladd cost 27,450,00 over that time and Ruutu 32,650,000. It was JR making a move just to make a move that cost the team more money and got less production.
It was classic JR. His MO was always to make the team the best it can be right now regardless of how big the elephant in the room (need for a rebuild) was. He would never hesitate to sacrifice a young player for a more established one for immediate gain with eventual consequences. In Ruutu’s case on paper it wasn’t that bad in that he was still relatively young himself and should’ve been able to give us years. Back then there wasn’t as strong an opinion that rough and tumble would lead to a short career. Those guys were always in high demand despite the obvious outcomes.

TomppaKoo

Jan 27, 2021
Tuomo had more offensive talent than he was able to execute, since he was concentrating on the physical play more than being on offensive threat a lot of times, like his brother Jarkko. Both had very good skills, but Tuomo was much better skater.

Nowadays Tuomo is an assistant coach in Florida Panthers.

Here's a clip a Tuomo working against Russians with his brother. Watch it until the end.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
There are two JR trades that I remember people being very upset about.

The first one was Joni Pitkanen for Erik Cole. I wasn't here at the time but I remember reading this board and other boards and the old comments section on the N&O and WRAL sports site. Lots of Cole inspired names and avatars. Joni (unfairly IMO) got a lot of shit that wasn't deserved simply because Cole wasn't there anymore.

The other was the draft day trade involving Jordan Staal and Brandon Sutter. This one wasn't quite as "vicious" but there was a lot of upset at losing Sutter.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

The first one was Joni Pitkanen for Erik Cole. I wasn't here at the time but I remember reading this board and other boards and the old comments section on the N&O and WRAL sports site. Lots of Cole inspired names and avatars. Joni (unfairly IMO) got a lot of shit that wasn't deserved simply because Cole wasn't there anymore.

The other was the draft day trade involving Jordan Staal and Brandon Sutter. This one wasn't quite as "vicious" but there was a lot of upset at losing Sutter.
It was the total package with the Staal trade. That first rounder was high, and it was a good draft. Dumo looked very much like an NHL level prospect. Sutter had at times out performed E Staal in the hustle consistency department and had become a solid number two option for a team light on centers. Of course his career got derailed by injuries but to give up that package plus the contract for J Staal was akin to the amount paid for Wesley in the very early years.

Pitts was a victim of JR. Skills of a number one but not the head for it. A fantastic number two or one A, not unlike Dougie especially in the presence of Slavin. Pitts was not given the much needed aid of a Slavin to absorb the load. He waffled under the work load and needed presence of being a number one on a roster that lacked depth.

TomppaKoo

Jan 27, 2021

Pitkänen played a long career loyally playing in a bad team eating almost 30 minutes/game.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Pitts was not given the much needed aid of a Slavin to absorb the load. He waffled under the work load and needed presence of being a number one on a roster that lacked depth.

Pitkanen's most-frequent partner by year:

08-09: Anton Babchuk
09-10: Aaron Ward
10-11: Jamie McBain
11-12: Jamie McBain
12-13: Jamie McBain

And you think he needed Jaccob Slavin? Instead of jumping straight to God himself, how about we partner him with someone who's above replacement level first, and see how that goes?

I mean, I know you thought McBain was God's gift...but c'mon now. :laugh:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Pitkanen's most-frequent partner by year:

08-09: Anton Babchuk
09-10: Aaron Ward
10-11: Jamie McBain
11-12: Jamie McBain
12-13: Jamie McBain

And you think he needed Jaccob Slavin? Instead of jumping straight to God himself, how about we partner him with someone who's above replacement level first, and see how that goes?

I mean, I know you thought McBain was God's gift...but c'mon now. :laugh:
That Mcbain….he could dance across the line on the pp…..:sarcasm:

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I can't believe we paired Joni with those players so much. It really goes to show how PTSD we all are from those 2010s Canes teams. Holy shit those were some bad defenses and we got them year after year.

In the darkest timeline on the multiverse where another team drafts Pesce and Slavin I'd imagine we'd be in a Buffalo Sabres-esque re-re-rebuild.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I can't believe we paired Joni with those players so much. It really goes to show how PTSD we all are from those 2010s Canes teams. Holy shit those were some bad defenses and we got them year after year.

In the darkest timeline on the multiverse where another team drafts Pesce and Slavin I'd imagine we'd be in a Buffalo Sabres-esque re-re-rebuild.
.....and those guys were the "best available" on our squad....SMDH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad