Confirmed with Link: Tuomisto signs 2 year ELC

Oct 18, 2006
Wow, didn‘t expect this. The guy has shown very little. Guess they feel he must’ve made some strides this season.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
He was not bad , my problem with him was his skating, it was horrible, my guess he did improve it

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
He won an NCAA championship and is one of the top young D in the Finnish league. Not signing him would be dumb. He either makes it or heads home. Literally zero downside to the signing.
You also don't need to be an all-star or skate like Paul Coffey to receive an NHL contract. Right-handed defensemen are always in super short supply. Has anyone watched him in Liiga this season?

Reactions: wings95

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
You also don't need to be an all-star or skate like Paul Coffey to receive an NHL contract. Right-handed defensemen are always in super short supply. Has anyone watched him in Liiga this season?
Pretty sure a couple of the local Finns have. Write ups in either the Tuomisto thread or the general Prospect one. Both got bumped a month or so ago when there was the report and photos from Kronwall over there working with him.

DTR

Dec 13, 2021
We have almost zero RHD depth in the system, so it’s worth giving him a shot. Zero expectations for him though.

Reactions: Unfriendly Ghost

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
He won an NCAA championship and is one of the top young D in the Finnish league. Not signing him would be dumb. He either makes it or heads home. Literally zero downside to the signing.
If he wasn't on that NCAA champion team I promise you they still would have won.
If that is true then the Finnish League is shit and I will look at stats from it a lot differently now.
Zero downside in signing him really? We only get 50 contracts and have drafted a lot of players in the last couple of years. We cannot sign them all and there are limites spots in the AHL as well. That zero downside BS is not going to fly. Hell theee are free agent European defensemen that I would rather sign then Tuomisto. Someone much more deserving is not going to be signed because of this.

And one more thing I realize that we are all fans here and not scouts or experts on prospects and the Red Wings brass know a lot more than us. Now having said that every once in a while the fanbase knows more then managememt and gets it right from the start. Tuomisto is one of the few examples of that. Almost everyone on this board knew right away this was a terrible pick in the 2nd round. He was ranked way to low to be taken so damn high. And yes he is only 22 blah blah blah. All he is done is every year prove the fans right about him.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
If he wasn't on that NCAA champion team I promise you they still would have won.
If that is true then the Finnish League is shit and I will look at stats from it a lot differently now.
Zero downside in signing him really? We only get 50 contracts and have drafted a lot of players in the last couple of years. We cannot sign them all and there are limites spots in the AHL as well. That zero downside BS is not going to fly. Hell theee are free agent European defensemen that I would rather sign then Tuomisto. Someone much more deserving is not going to be signed because of this.

And one more thing I realize that we are all fans here and not scouts or experts on prospects and the Red Wings brass know a lot more than us. Now having said that every once in a while the fanbase knows more then managememt and gets it right from the start. Tuomisto is one of the few examples of that. Almost everyone on this board knew right away this was a terrible pick in the 2nd round. He was ranked way to low to be taken so damn high. And yes he is only 22 blah blah blah. All he is done is every year prove the fans right about him.
I guess wee Laddie Draper will have to go unsigned.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

The fans never know more than management, they only get lucky with speculation. I get your overall point though, sometimes the fans just have a feeling that ends up being right, even though the team invests time and money and effort into a player.

The one thing I’d say is that the team has a process to identify things they view as promising or developable. The fans getting lucky with a guess and management being wrong aren’t necessarily the same thing. Because management can be making the right decisions within their process, it just doesn’t work out.

We will see if Tuomisto can hack it in Grand Rapids, and if not, well then go ahead and celebrate that you were lucky.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
He'll provide organizational depth for at least a couple years, and that's not nothing. Worth a contract, I suppose. You gotta have your Pearsons and Hiroses and Bartons and Newpowers. But unless he improved his skating a near-shocking amount, I don't see much NHL upside in this kid. He was a bad skater when he was drafted, and he didn't improve it by a significant margin during his first 3 post-draft seasons. Good luck to him.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

So let's fire Yzerman, that idiot GM who knows nothing about hockey because of this signing.

That 50 contract limit is really a non-factor, you can manage it so easy.

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
Yeah, the wings staff and evaluators definitely know a ton more than anyone on here is saying. I guarantee almost none of you even watched him play in liiga this season, I’d bump his thread asking and nobody would comment. Clearly guys like kronwall see potential. And we have no depth at his position whatsoever. It doesn’t hurt at all to give him a contract.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Eemil Viro last season for TPS, 52 games, 3+4= 7 points, 17:05min (4th-5th most) ice-time.

Antti Tuomisto this season for TPS, 60 games, 5+15= 20 points, 20:03min (2nd most) ice-time.
Had Team-highest Ice-time (21:26min) at the playoff qualifiers, and scored 0+2 in 3 games.

Tuomisto's 10 power-play points was Team-high vs. any TPS forward. Also those 2 extra playoff quali points were on PP.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Finnish League is shit

2 of the Top5 Europeans at Calder race are Finnish league products at the moment.

FEL Matias Maccelli (0.75 points per game, 39 total points in 52 games)
FEL Juuso Pärssinen (0.55 points per game, 23 points in 42 games)
KHL Kirill Marchenko (0.46 points per game, 21 points in 46 games)
SHL Jonathan Berggren (0.43 points per game, 23 points in 53 games)
DEL JJ Peterka (0.41 points per game, 26 points in 64 games)

Both guys have been at TPS junior system, which especially has been the best for skating development. Kind of what Tuomisto needed.

Reactions: Realgud

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Hasn't looked good in the past years since draft, so not really excited to see he got a deal.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
If we did not sign him, he would have signed elsewhere. Kronwall must have liked something. Think of it as an extended evaluation period.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
I'm very surprised he was signed. Seems way too slow to be NHL player. I think he was signed only because he was drafted 35th overall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad