GDT: Tues, Nov 15th 2016 | Ottawa Senators @ Philadelphia Flyers | 7:00pm ET | Game #17

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
But 3/4 of them are not going to finish the season with a sub 6.5% on ice sh% at 5v5 and below 2.00 GF/60. The first line has been pretty objectively snake-bitten at 5v5 to start the season. I would expect them to be at 7-8.5% combined by the end of the season and ~2.5-2.8 GF/60.

Giroux, Couturier and Simmonds are all driving play well, but the GF/60 is not matching up with the CF and SF really.

That's right, because it's only 17 games.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The problem there is handedness/comfort on the right side.

MDZ hates the right side, and do we really want Provorov playing there?

Ghost and Gudas are pretty much set on the right going forward.

Oh I didn't realize MDZ hated the right side. For some reason I thought I remembered him being there for a long time..

Oh well. I was just thinking of style wise to be honest, handedness gets forgotten at times.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
The PP can't really be blamed.

27% on the season, 20% last night. Is it lower? Obviously, but it's not like they went 0-7 or something and the team got shut out. Going 1-5 (20%) is much closer to the season average than 2-5 (40%). So the PP was average, 5v5 they were good, even the defense wasn't that bad. The loss is on Mason for letting in an inexcusable goal. He was great for most of the game but his one **** up was enough to negate that.

Imagine if Giroux has a good game and then puts the puck in his own net... you can't say that it isn't his fault.

Yep. The position of goaltender is just inherently unfair, but that's the way it is - you need them to be better than good in crucial moments, you need them to come up with the clutch save AND all the basic saves, and you can't have them making that one critical error at the wrong time. Other players can do it, but not the goaltender. That's the way it has always been for contending teams. Not fair, but it goes with the territory. We aren't a contending team yet, but still.

I think that's why most goaltenders are a little off, mentally - and by "off" I mean "crazy." That is the right kind of mental instability for a goaltender - the wrong kind is the kind where confidence ebbs and flows. It really is the last thing you want in a goaltender, IMO.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'd just put Gudas back with MDZ and live with the growing pains until MDZ is back in NHL shape (he still looks rusty).

Provorov - Ghost because Provorov is our best defensive defenseman and is fast enough to cover for Ghost's mistakes, and they'd be a heck of an ES pairing.

Manning - Streit, because at least Manning will hit someone, so Streit can just continue to wave at forwards.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I can only imagine the amount of 2-1 that a Manning/Streit pairing would give up with the amount that they both get caught thinking offense.

Chicken Chaser

Zaphod Beeblebrox
Mar 21, 2009
St. James's Gate
2010:
Toews - 68, Sharp - 66, Madden - 23

2011:
Krejci - 62, Bergeron - 57, Horton 53

2012:
Kopitar - 76, Richards - 44, Stoll/Carter - 21(9)

2013: Lockout
Toews - 48 (47gp), Sharp 20 (20gp), Shaw 15 (48gp)

2014:
Kopitar - 70, Carter - 50 (70gp), Richards - 41

2015:
Toews - 66, Richards - 37, Shaw - 26

2016:
Crosby - 85, Malkin - 58 (57gp), Cullen - 32

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Gudas' numbers have tanked since he was reunited with Manning.

isn't that the pairing we all wanted when Gudas came back from suspension based on how good they were in the playoffs last year?
I really don't know if there are options honestly. Just have to hope they get their **** together.
Provorov is playing some great hockey right now. Not sure if I wan to disrupt that and put him with Gudas.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
What is awesome is that Provorov is probably already the Flyers best defenseman defensively...

playing vs oppositions top 6's yet has the best CA/60 and best CA rel on our defense.

His CF% is 14th best amongst NHL Dmen.
His CA/60 is 30th best amongst NHL Dmen.
His CA rel is 17th best amongst NHL Dmen.

those are some pretty impressive numbers especially considering it took him a little while to really get going.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Theres a simple fix to our Defense.

MDZ - Ghost
Provorov - Gudas
Morin - Streit

Manning.

The current pairs do not work as Manning - Gudas look like ass and Streit is getting too many minutes.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I would make the 3rd pairing Schultz-Streit. That used to be our main shutdown pairing, so they could definitely handle easy minutes.

I've only seen one Phantoms game but I think Morin needs more AHL time (and I really like him paired with Sanheim), and Manning-Streit is putting two gamblers together.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I would make the 3rd pairing Schultz-Streit. That used to be our main shutdown pairing, so they could definitely handle easy minutes.

I've only seen one Phantoms game but I think Morin needs more AHL time (and I really like him paired with Sanheim), and Manning-Streit is putting two gamblers together.

Yeah I suppose you could go back to Schultz.

That was my thinking..if you make our best top 4 possible we are left with a high risk low reward Manning - Streit pairing. That would be ugly.

Either way, I dont expect Hakstol to make the correct adjustments. He hasnt done so all season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad