Post-Game Talk: Tue., Nov. 5, 2013| Flyers 1 at Hurricanes 2 (OT)

Fragmuffin

Aug 20, 2013
Zagreb
I wouldn't go so far as to scratch Giroux.... just put him ond the 2nd line and 2 PP unit, and give him more PK time. Make him work more, hustle more, as he did a few years ago, put him in that same situation and make him earn his way up again.
Reward a guy like Matt Read, put him on the top line. Might send a message to the team (or at least to those who still have some interest in playing more seriously)

RoDu

May 22, 2003
Winnipeg
Visit site
well if we continue to suck this bad, hopefully Berube won't be back next year and we'll get a real coach

I think Giroux should step down from the C so he can just play hockey, but it's not like we have any sparkling candidates to replace him. Leadership is one think we really lack

RonHextall27

Mar 12, 2008
Halifax, NS
I agree with most here. I'm a huge Giroux fan, and he needs to man up. If he is playing hurt, he needs to sit. If he is healthy he needs to start playing like he did in past years, or ride the pine. That tying goal would piss me off in beer league hockey. He looked right at him and focused on the guy behind the net.

Richi

Oct 20, 2013
Wasn't Vinny a captain in Tampa?

Not only was Vinny the captain in Tampa, also Mark Streit was the guy who last year led the Islanders back into the playoffs as their captain! So maybe it´s not that there isn´t sufficiant leadership, but there might be too many guys in the lockerroom who have an opinion on the right things to do!
I mean Timmonen and Hartnell are also experienced guys and alternate captains. These two won´t keep quiet if there is a discussion. So there are at least 5 guys who could take leadership but if they don´t agree there will be hell of a discussion :(

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
This team frigging sucks...Time to start the sell off, get anything you can for useless vets. Part this team out.

Richi

Oct 20, 2013
I don't think Streit's been that bad, but his mistakes sure have stood out recently. OT goal here. Palmieri's GWG last week....

Mark Streit has been my favourite hockey player since he´s played for my favourite team in Switzerland, but even I have to admit that recently he´s just been playing awful! He´s getting older and slower and generally has to work with his positioning, which was once great. But lately he hasn´t been reliable in his defensive duties.
Moreover he doesn´t get as many chances on the pp as he used to with Tavares and the isles (mostly because the whole team except Mason just plain *****) and so he doesn´t put up as many points as usual.

That said and done, he´s still better than mez, gill and this season timy

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
This is how inept this offense is.

Justin Peters came into last night

0-5
GAA at 3.75
SV % at .888

Those numbers represent a pretty god awful goalie.

Last night, he posted a 1 goal against and a stunning .966 SV %.

chimrichalds18

the key
Apr 17, 2007
philadelphia
This is how inept this offense is.

Justin Peters came into last night

0-5
GAA at 3.75
SV % at .888

Those numbers represent a pretty god awful goalie.

Last night, he posted a 1 goal against and a stunning .966 SV %.

I think the scariest thing about it is that other than Couturier's empty net miss....I can't really remember any big-time chances/saves from him. There may have been one or two other plays where I thought for a second we were going to score, but not a bunch. It's weird -- for a team with all this grit and toughness that we supposedly have, we're not getting a whole lot of penetration in the D-zone. Lots of perimeter play, no slot presence.

Legion of Gloom

The Holy Ghost
Jun 20, 2013
Lake Titicaca
Not only was Vinny the captain in Tampa, also Mark Streit was the guy who last year led the Islanders back into the playoffs as their captain! So maybe it´s not that there isn´t sufficiant leadership, but there might be too many guys in the lockerroom who have an opinion on the right things to do!
I mean Timmonen and Hartnell are also experienced guys and alternate captains. These two won´t keep quiet if there is a discussion. So there are at least 5 guys who could take leadership but if they don´t agree there will be hell of a discussion :(

The leaders are the leaders and they will say and do what they have to, it does not matter if they wear a C or not, leaders lead and I think it would mess with Giroux's head even more if he was stripped of the cC and really doubt that would occur.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
The leaders are the leaders and they will say and do what they have to, it does not matter if they wear a C or not, leaders lead and I think it would mess with Giroux's head even more if he was stripped of the cC and really doubt that would occur.

This is where the coaching staff has to have a long one-on-one with Giroux and see where he is at. There are ways to inquire about whether his C is an added burden. The best-case scenario is if Giroux himself made the statement that, for his own clarity of mind, he was voluntarily giving up the C (to Timonen, for example) to focus on getting back to his high level of play. Berube / Holmgren could follow with something along the lines of Giroux caring too much, weight at present was getting in the way of him being the star he is on the ice, "Claude has a long and bright future with this organization, and we will revisit this when Claude feels ready", etc., etc., etc.

moosehead81

Jan 7, 2012
Great White North
Naturally, I blame it on the bearded crackhead in the faded Flyers T.

Giroux is a joke right now and an embarrassment to all the Captains that came before him. Good on the Chief to bench his worthless ass.

Arguably one of the worst games I've ever watched. This is not an NHL level team right now. They are the softest Flyers team in recent memory.

And a giant **** you goes out to the Flyers announcers as always who never, I repeat never take any Flyer to task. You're doing an incredible disservice to your viewing public who let's be honest, have never played hockey and as a result of your sugarcoating, can't direct their anger where it belongs, namely at the players and not the refs or the litany of excuses you spoon feed them each and every night.

Gotta agree with that. Thought I'd never say it but after watching the Flyers telecast last might, I'd put the crew almost up there with the Penguins' Steigerwald and Errey, who are easily the worst. Coates is just a joke.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Since I get black balled at every angle with CSN & Directv. I've been listening, Therien is really good. It's like watching a game with your buddy at a bar. He rips them when needed.

Legion of Gloom

The Holy Ghost
Jun 20, 2013
Lake Titicaca
This is where the coaching staff has to have a long one-on-one with Giroux and see where he is at. There are ways to inquire about whether his C is an added burden. The best-case scenario is if Giroux himself made the statement that, for his own clarity of mind, he was voluntarily giving up the C (to Timonen, for example) to focus on getting back to his high level of play. Berube / Holmgren could follow with something along the lines of Giroux caring too much, weight at present was getting in the way of him being the star he is on the ice, "Claude has a long and bright future with this organization, and we will revisit this when Claude feels ready", etc., etc., etc.

Yes that would work. But I would not give it to Timmo as this is his last year, and would rather give it to some one will remain with the team for awhile.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia

The Rangers had this problem a while back when they had Messier, Holik etc etc. It was too top heavy. You need a good mix of generals and soldiers.

However, with the Flyers there must be something deeper....

I personally don't get the impression Giroux is a fan of Berube..seems really lukewarm. Not sure how much he liked Lavi either considering when he got fired G said "It's a little sad."
Not sure what ails him....

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
TI personally don't get the impression Giroux is a fan of Berube..seems really lukewarm. Not sure how much he liked Lavi either considering when he got fired G said "It's a little sad."
I'll tell you what is more than a "little sad" is Giroux's play. He needs to just shut up and improve.
He's not getting paid to like the coach or not. Leaving an opponent unattended in your area seven feet outside of the net with under a minute left to play is pretty sad too.

kimmofan44

Jul 20, 2011
thorndale pa
what's really upsetting is that even if we had slightly better offense, the way that Mason is playing we would be in 2 nd in the division right now. but instead we have to have the worst offensive numbers I have ever seen so Mason's outstanding efforts are for nothing.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

I personally don't get the impression Giroux is a fan of Berube..seems really lukewarm. Not sure how much he liked Lavi either considering when he got fired G said "It's a little sad."

well you know what? that is too ****ing bad. the coach isnt there to be your friend. Giroux needs to man up and start playing the type of hockey that he is capable of.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad