Post-Game Talk: Tue., Mar. 11, 2014| Devils 2 at Flyers 1

whatthef

Failure is an Option
Mar 1, 2007
Upper Darby
I wish that goal would have counted but personally when I saw it happen live in the game I was sure they would call it no goal which they did. On the replay I could see why you might call it a goal, but it's not a reviewable play so I'm not going to get that up set about it.

Even with scoring a goal Grossmann is still garbage. Also, is it possible that Hartnell is actually getting even worse? It's kind of embarrassing that he's fourth on the team in points it doesn't even sound possible having watch most of the games this season. Also there has to be better options than having him out there with the goalie pulled trying to tie it up right?

ascskate

Apr 12, 2009
Austin Texas
Welll that sucks, looking at the rest of the flyers schedule I wouldn't be betting that they would make the playoffs at this point.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Grossmann got the only goal so he gets a pass tonight. Even discounting the goal there were worse culprits then him (like half our forwards, the PP unit, very easily arguably Mason).

The bad thing about it though is that Gustafsson gets benched for two eternities instead of one since now not only is he getting punished for everyone else's mistakes, but the guy we want him to switch with got our only goal. Hal Gill is hiding out with one of Carmen Sandiego or Waldo last I heard.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Grossmann got the only goal so he gets a pass tonight. Even discounting the goal there were worse culprits then him (like half our forwards, the PP unit, very easily arguably Mason).

The bad thing about it though is that Gustafsson gets benched for two eternities instead of one since now not only is he getting punished for everyone else's mistakes, but the guy we want him to switch with got our only goal. Hal Gill is hiding out with one of Carmen Sandiego or Waldo last I heard.

Hopefully Gustafsson is learning a trade in the press box so he has something to fall back on.

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
Volchenkov initiated the contact?

they banged knees, hartsy made zero effort to avoid fatso, and pushed him back towards the net as the puck was pushed in too.

only if Hartsy was DIRECTLY pushed into Fatso [with Volchenkov right behind hartnell, up on his skates, pushing hartnell into marty] would that have counted

better ?

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
they banged knees, hartsy made zero effort to avoid fatso, and pushed him back towards the net as the puck was pushed in too.

only if Hartsy was DIRECTLY pushed into Fatso [with Volchenkov right behind hartnell, up on his skates, pushing hartnell into marty] would that have counted

better ?

You're right, but Hartnell is also a terrible enough skater with terrible enough balance that I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if he was trying to let up but just couldn't because he couldn't balance himself.

#HartnellDown

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

better ?

If you look at volch hit and displaced broduer. Hartnell made minimal contact

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
both goaltenders gave up one they would like to get back.
you go 0-6 on the PP and you don't deserve to win the hockey game.

it always seems its the refs fault when they lose a close hockey game. they didn't do enough offensively to get it done. bottom line.

as far as the next 5 go. bring em on. everyone said the west coast trip the Flyers would get destroyed. how did that go again?
im not counting them out of anything.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2010
New Jersey
Anyone know if Voracek or Simmonds could play LW? I mean, transitioning from RW to LW can't be as bad as going from center to the wing, can it?

A top line of Simmonds, Giroux, and Voracek sounds interesting to me.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Anyone know if Voracek or Simmonds could play LW? I mean, transitioning from RW to LW can't be as bad as going from center to the wing, can it?

A top line of Simmonds, Giroux, and Voracek sounds interesting to me.

Voracek's effectiveness on the rush is lost from the left wing. One of his greatest strengths is how he accelerates through the neutral zone to drive the puck down his off wing, then make that power move into the middle on his forehand. I can't imagine he'd be as effective on the LW, and I'm usually really liberal about players changing sides.

Simmonds, though, I have little doubt could play the left side just as effectively as he plays the right. His strengths aren't particular to either wing in particular.

I would like to see that line as well.

I'd propose either of the following:

Simmonds-Giroux-Voracek
Hartnell-Couturier-Read
Downie/Raffl-Schenn-Lecavalier

or

Raffl-Giroux-Voracek
Read-Couturier-Lecavalier
Hartnell-Schenn-Simmonds

Though I still would like to experiment with a Giroux-Schenn-Voracek line. I think that would unlock Schenn's offensive potential, but it's admittedly pretty radical to shift Giroux to the wing.

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
It pains me to rag on the guy because he seems like a great person and teammate, but man, Vinny isn't bringing much of anything to the table at this point. To be fair though, I think his linemates play a role in his struggling.

I honestly think it is the opposite. Vinny makes schenn and Simmonds look far worse that they are both offensively and defensively. Vinny and grossmann are the two worst players on the team

Edit: would love to see hartnell, Vinny and Downie all benched for the next game even though it is against Pittsburgh. Move Raffl up and bring mcGinn and whoever else up from the phantoms. I really don't care. At least that might add some speed to the lineup. I can't stand watching Vinny not be able to skate, not able to receive a pass, and constantly try this back hand spin-o-Rama passes. Vinny and a 3rd round pick to Tampa for a 5th round pick please.

Also grossmann should be benched but that will never happen

Last edited:

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
On controversial plays, I always try to imagine what my reaction would be if the roles were reversed. Had a goal like the Hartnell play been allowed against the Flyers, I would have been pretty ticked.

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
If you look at volch hit and displaced broduer. Hartnell made minimal contact

and if that contact pushes the goalie into the net, or almost into the net, and the puck goes in, it should NOT be a goal.

if that were crosby and mason, and the goal counted this board would melt.

only if the devil rides hartnell directly into fatso, draped all over hartnell, hartnell facing away from the net, could i see where they MIGHT allow the goal

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
It's easy to beat the current Flyers: play a contained disciplined brand of hockey and convert on a couple of your own scoring chances.

Thank god the Penguins who are next on the home and home series will likely play the run and gun + don't care about defense style they've always preferred, which give the Flyers a chance to out-score them...

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
and if that contact pushes the goalie into the net, or almost into the net, and the puck goes in, it should NOT be a goal.

if that were crosby and mason, and the goal counted this board would melt.

only if the devil rides hartnell directly into fatso, draped all over hartnell, hartnell facing away from the net, could i see where they MIGHT allow the goal

im not talking about boards melting.

IF the ref had omnivision he would have seen that the opposing player did not hit the goalie into the net, his teammate did. Volchenkov hit hatnell and fell, sliding back into broduer. Hartnells actions did little to cause the displacement of the goalie. It was a good goal.

That is verified by the accounts stating the war room called down saying it was a good goal but did the ref think it was a no goal because of the contact. If yes then its not reviewable.

EIther way its still close and these things often go either way. Im glad we have the pens home and home and that we have a break after this to play them. We can practice and correct things (teach vinny how to play hockey again) and continue to brew over this as several players including voracek were very vocal. It wont be easy to get 2 points out of this weekend but they have a shot a 3-4 imo.

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
that the opposing player did not hit the goalie into the net, his teammate did. Volchenkov hit hatnell and fell, sliding back into broduer. Hartnells actions did little to cause the displacement of the goalie. It was a good goal.

nope, watch again from the overhead:

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2014/3/11/5498708/no-goal-flyers-devils-nhl-replay

Vol's skate barely touched fatso. vol and hartsy banged each other, hartsy's shoulder moved fatso backwards, and that contact caused the puck to go in.

only if Vol was on hartnells' back could the ref rule good goal, or rule delayed penalty on vol for interference, or make no call & let the war room make the call [as they sometimes do: make no on ice call]

if that was kimmo banging with ruutu & mason getting knocked into, nobody here would argue for the goal to count

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad