Post-Game Talk: Tue., Mar. 11, 2014| Devils 2 at Flyers 1

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Agreed on this, he still has his shot and we are under utilizing it.
That G to Hartnell pass in the slot is so 2013.
Sure, Hartnell's not getting as many quality shots as he did in 2012 off that set up, but that doesn't mean it's not effective. Hartnell forces the defenders to collapse on him giving Giroux room to breathe on the wall and allowing Simmonds to be an option on the drop in the corner.

I wouldn't touch the PP. One bad game against a good PK team does not justify changing a winning formula.

Not to mention that drop pass to
G in the defensive zone is as well.
The drop pass has been a great way to allow Giroux entry in the zone for a while. It's a much more high percentage play than dumping it in and trying to get possession or trying to jam a pass through at the blueline.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Sure, Hartnell's not getting as many quality shots as he did in 2012 off that set up, but that doesn't mean it's not effective. Hartnell forces the defenders to collapse on him giving Giroux room to breathe on the wall and allowing Simmonds to be an option on the drop in the corner.

I wouldn't touch the PP. One bad game against a good PK team does not justify changing a winning formula.

They're 12th in the league overall, and only 24th best at home. There's definitely room for improvement.

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
Watch the replay, Hartnell made an attempt to stop but Volchenkov and his leg impeded that. If this is the rule in the NHL it's a dumb one. Incidental contact happens.[/url]

good lord, i'm a huge flyers fan, too, but how anyone can say "Volchenkov and his leg impeded that." without laughing is beyond me

i wanted it to count, too ...... but there's no way it should have

it was incidental contact: thats why no penalty on Hartnell for running the goalie

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
They're 12th in the league overall, and only 24th best at home. There's definitely room for improvement.

And you're blaming this on the top PP unit? If the second PP unit was even a marginal threat out there, the Flyers would quite easily be top five.

I'm not sure if there are stats for it, but I'd guess that the Flyers five man PP1 unit is possibly the most productive in the league outside of Pittsburgh.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
And you're blaming this on the top PP unit? If the second PP unit was even a marginal threat out there, the Flyers would quite easily be top five.

I'm not sure if there are stats for it, but I'd guess that the Flyers five man PP1 unit is possibly the most productive in the league outside of Pittsburgh.

Probably outside of the Caps' as well.

I'd like to see Vinny in Voracek's spot, that shot would be more useful than another passer when G and Kimmo spend the entire time passing already. Plus Voracek and Streit would be a better possession pair on the 2nd unit.

Either that or swap Kimmo and Streit. But that 2nd unit is god awful, I wonder if they practice at all. None of them seem to have very defined roles other than Downie and he shouldn't be there in the first place. Schenn and Couts are too indecisive and just end up turning over the puck most of the time.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

I'd like to see Vinny in Voracek's spot, that shot would be more useful than another passer when G and Kimmo spend the entire time passing already. Plus Voracek and Streit would be a better possession pair on the 2nd unit.

Either that or swap Kimmo and Streit. But that 2nd unit is god awful, I wonder if they practice at all. None of them seem to have very defined roles other than Downie and he shouldn't be there in the first place. Schenn and Couts are too indecisive and just end up turning over the puck most of the time.

... are you kidding? Lecavelier shouldn't be on any PP, let alone the 1st.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
As a five man unit, I'm not sure. Ovechkin runs on both their units, remember. Our #1 unit is extremely efficient. They may be cold right now, but for almost three years now, they've been very successful.

I'd like to see Giroux run the full two minutes a la Ovechkin. And then run the same basic set up for PP2.

Giroux on the left wall. Read in the corner (Simmonds's spot), Schenn in the middle (Hartnell's spot), Streit up top (Timonen's spot), and Lecavalier on the right side. I don't see any reason we couldn't do this. We have quite possibly the best PP player in the league on our team; we might as well milk the **** out that advantage.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
As a five man unit, I'm not sure. Ovechkin runs on both their units, remember. Our #1 unit is extremely efficient. They may be cold right now, but for almost three years now, they've been very successful.

I'd like to see Giroux run the full two minutes a la Ovechkin. And then run the same basic set up for PP2.

Giroux on the left wall. Read in the corner (Simmonds's spot), Schenn in the middle (Hartnell's spot), Streit up top (Timonen's spot), and Lecavalier on the right side. I don't see any reason we couldn't do this. We have quite possibly the best PP player in the league on our team; we might as well milk the **** out that advantage.

totally agree seeing giroux out there for full two minutes.huge improvement to overall pp.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He still has the best shot on the team.

If that were true he's have a lot more goals right now. It's not like he's playing on the 4th line, Schenn and Simmonds give him opportunities to score but he's constantly fumbling the puck away and when he does shoot it's straight into the logo.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Is it true, and we're wasting it by playing him out of position on the left wing and only giving him second line PP time.

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
Fact of the matter is that Vinny is at best the 9th best forward on this roster. Giroux, Voracek, Schenn, Simmonds, Couturier, Read, Raffl and Hartnell are all better than him right now. He might even be worse than Downie, if Downie wasn't constantly in the penalty box. Lecavalier just does not deserve any more ice time over those players whether at even strength or on the power play. Hell, I would even say that Hall is more valuable at the moment since he can at least kill penalties. Vinny brings absolutely nothing to this team.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
Is it true, and we're wasting it by playing him out of position on the left wing and only giving him second line PP time.

Put him in the 2C and then put Schenn on the wing, and they'll be just as invisible. I'd rather have Schenn at C than Vinny. Have Schenn develop as a center because his development is more important than finding a position for Vinny. No one can win unfortunately. :help:

Vinny has no spot for this team, and I'd love to know what Holmgrem was thinking to sign Vinny.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012

I agree, I'd like to see him get some time on G's right wing to see if he can use that shot better. He's got a bomb from the right circle on the PP, he should be there over Voracek on the first unit. Need someone with a shot on the umbrella, not 3 passers. Streit over Kimmo would work too.

Maybe Voracek can spark the second line as well, they need someone who can carry the puck. Can Simmonds play LW?

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
I agree, I'd like to see him get some time on G's right wing to see if he can use that shot better. He's got a bomb from the right circle on the PP, he should be there over Voracek on the first unit. Need someone with a shot on the umbrella, not 3 passers. Streit over Kimmo would work too.

Maybe Voracek can spark the second line as well, they need someone who can carry the puck. Can Simmonds play LW?

If you want to do that then you do.......

Hartnell-G-Lecavalier
Raffl-Schenn-Voracek
Read-Couturier-Simmonds
Vandevelde-Hall-Downie

I think Simmonds would spark some offense from that line, besides Downie is useless, let's be real here, he may be on the "shutdown" line but the only reason its a shutdown line is because of Read and Couturier. Put Voracek on a line with Schenn and give Raffl another look in a top 9 role. Then you have G who can produce with anyone. Let Lecavalier go back to where he wants to be and hope it sparks something. Hartnell is Hartnell. In this scenario everyone is playing where they want to play except Read and Downie. Who the **** cares where Downie plays hes a plug and I would rather dress Vandevelde and McGinn then that waste of space. And Read seems to have no problems playing LW. I like him there it opens up his offense when he's coming in off the rush and he doesn't have a bad one-t. He likes to shoot and I think the off-wing serves him well in that regard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad