Post-Game Talk: Tue., Apr. 1, 2014| Flyers 0 at Blues 1 (0-2 in the shootout)

PhillyFlying

F1eyrS
Sep 15, 2010
Philadelphia
Without kimmo the d looked...okay. Emery bailed them out toward the end and they leaned on amac more than I'd like. But not a bad effort against the blues. Point deserved.

Doors

Jan 13, 2014
Sweden
I'm glad we got out of those last two games against two of the top teams in the NHL with a point in each. It prooves that we are a team to count on. This was probably one of the most entertaining 1-0 games i've watched. The next against the BJ's will be brutal!

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Truthfully, Oshie was Gus's assignment in the SO. Did he ever blow that one!

That's actually a really good point. You can't just leave a guy alone like that especially when you have the worst goalie to ever play the game and has never made a single save in net. Also I'm pretty sure Emery kills babies and puppies in his free time, unless they run through his five-hole and get away easily since he can't stop anything that goes near there.

PropJoe

Jan 25, 2013
I love Kimmo, but our D looks a lot faster with Gus in there.

Yeah which is why you bench Grossmann and play Gus.

Coburn-Timonen
Streit-MacDonald
Gus-Schenn

Doesn't look so bad does it?

Seriously Grossmann is an awful, awful player. I really don't know what is keeping him in the lineup other than his salary. He's a stay at home guy apparently and he's still pretty terrible in his own zone.

Timonen is far from the reason our defense looks slow to you, Grossmann and Schenn are easily worse skaters.

One more thing: Braydon Coburn was awesome tonight and he's been playing extremely well lately. There's a reason the Flyers are playing neck and neck with the two best teams in the league and it's guys like Voracek, B. Schenn, and Coburn really stepping up their games.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Nice point. Falksjdfkl;ajf;dsaj shootout. I just assume they are going to lose them every time (NJ style).

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
I really wish we could have finished one of those grade A scoring chances we had in the first 5 minutes, but whatever. Miller was outstanding.

And like everybody else is saying - G didn't have his greatest game. Sometimes I think he tries to do a little too much.

Jun 13, 2010
New Jersey
Happy with the point.

I think Giroux thought Raffl was closer to him on that 2 on 0 and I think Raffl was trying to just give Giroux room for the breakaway. That was unfortunate.

You could see Kimmo was really missed on the PP. Streit pretty much single handedly botched that final PP.

Oh well. They played a solid game.

peacepipe

Mar 7, 2006
Philadelphia,PA
Watching emery have a game like that really makes me think how good he really could have been with full mobility(he also had attitude problems early in his career iirc?) I like razor so it was nice to see him have a good game

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Happy with the point.

I think Giroux thought Raffl was closer to him on that 2 on 0 and I think Raffl was trying to just give Giroux room for the breakaway. That was unfortunate.

You could see Kimmo was really missed on the PP. Streit pretty much single handedly botched that final PP.

Oh well. They played a solid game.

2 on 0s are pretty ****** situations for the forward with the puck if you don't have a lot of time. If you don't pass it, and you don't score, it looks like you made a really stupid and selfish play. Giroux obviously should have taken it himself, but it's hard to criticize him for doing what he did.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
We still suck in shootouts but on the bright side we can go toe to toe with the best teams in the league and grind out a draw!

cheesesteakarmor

Jul 18, 2009
Yeah which is why you bench Grossmann and play Gus.

Coburn-Timonen
Streit-MacDonald
Gus-Schenn

Doesn't look so bad does it?

Seriously Grossmann is an awful, awful player. I really don't know what is keeping him in the lineup other than his salary. He's a stay at home guy apparently and he's still pretty terrible in his own zone.

Timonen is far from the reason our defense looks slow to you, Grossmann and Schenn are easily worse skaters.

One more thing: Braydon Coburn was awesome tonight and he's been playing extremely well lately. There's a reason the Flyers are playing neck and neck with the two best teams in the league and it's guys like Voracek, B. Schenn, and Coburn really stepping up their games.

Doubly so considering that Grossman's ankle/foot is apparently pretty messed up, since he's been wearing a walking boot for at least a week now.

Clown Baby*

I thought Giroux and Couturier had down games overall. Rinaldo, aside from a shift in the 1st where he tried to be Voracek, had the best game I can recall from him in a while, and Voracek was great too. Coburn was also quietly solid. The rest of the D group took turns either being good or being bad :laugh:.
I thought Schenn and Gus looked good (no surprise). Coburn had a couple real face-palm worthy moments. Streit was horrible. Just god awful... and my opinion.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I thought Schenn and Gus looked good (no surprise). Coburn had a couple real face-palm worthy moments. Streit was horrible. Just god awful... and my opinion.

Streit was bad. First bad game I noticed from him in a while. That pp suffered as a result. I think we need to sign kimmo for next year just to have familiarity with the PP. If that goes next year we could really struggle to score goals.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I didn't get to see much of this game but I am not going to complaint about a 1-0 shootout loss to a top three team in the league.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I might be in the minority here but I don't think Gus actually had too good of a game. I can see why the Flyers are hesitant to put him in the lineup, especially against hard forechecking teams. He was pushed off the puck numerous times by opposing forecheckers and it hurt our team getting out of our end.

On another note though, MacDonald looked like he had a great game. He made a couple of swift plays down low to avoid the forecheck multiple times and moved the puck pretty well.

All in all, we lost in the gimmick. It should have been a tie, that game was too good to end in a shootout.

Gus will be the player who sits most likely for Kimmo when he comes back on Thursday. It makes sense though.

Last edited:

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I might be in the minority here but I don't think Gus actually had too good of a game. I can see why the Flyers are hesitant to put him in the lineup, especially against hard forechecking teams. He was pushed off the puck numerous times by opposing forecheckers and it hurt our team getting out of our end.

On another note though, MacDonald looked like he had a great game. He made a couple of swift plays down low to avoid the forecheck multiple times and moved the puck pretty well.

All in all, we lost in the gimmick. It should have been a tie, that game was too good to end in a shootout.

us will be the player who sits most likely for Kimmo when he comes back on Thursday. It makes sense though.

I'm glad you said that. I have been hyping gus as a top 4 dman for quite some time, but after tonight I can see why he is our 7th dman. He is terribly small. I know he is built very thick but still some of the forechecks that he spun out of could have wrecked him. I still prefer him over Luke though.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Gus hasn't played since before the trade deadline. Color me shocked that he wasn't in all star form.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad