TSP: New York Rangers Prospect Rankings and Scouting Reports

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Seems like every time someone has a "scouting report" on Shestyorkin they saw "his technique is raw" yet they've been saying that since he was drafted. He's now, years later, one of the best goalies in the KHL and best goalies outside of the NHL.

Is his technique really still raw? I find it a bit hard to believe it's still "very raw" at this point in his career

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think his unorthodox style gets mislabeled as raw. He could tighten up a few things (sometimes he gets lost around his crease, other times I think he gets a little over-excited and loses focus) but in general I don't think he's particularly raw. In fact I think he's advanced for his age.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Day is going back to the CHL? I think the AHL is more likely based on the comments by Clark, but we'll see.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Seems like every time someone has a "scouting report" on Shestyorkin they saw "his technique is raw" yet they've been saying that since he was drafted. He's now, years later, one of the best goalies in the KHL and best goalies outside of the NHL.

Is his technique really still raw? I find it a bit hard to believe it's still "very raw" at this point in his career

Its not.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Day gets overrated on all these lists. Pionk was also overrated on this list. No way should Bereglazov be behind either of those two. He was one of the best defensemen in the second best league in the world last season, and Graves as well. He had a very good season in the AHL. Both should be ahead of Pionk and Day. Not sure I'd have Andersson ahead of Shestyorkin, either, but besides that, not too bad.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Day is going back to the CHL? I think the AHL is more likely based on the comments by Clark, but we'll see.

I don't believe he is eligible for the AHL based on his age and birthdate, unless his exceptional player status creates an exception I don't know about.

I've never looked into the rule because it was never an issue for the previous exceptional players.... Tavares, McDavid, Ekblad. There teams had no intention of playing them anywhere other than the NHL.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Day can play in the AHL next season, or go back to the OHL

Because he was granted execptional status, he has played in the CHL for 4 years. The requirements for playing in the AHL are have 4 years of CHL hockey if coming from that league, or be 20 years old (I think anyways)

But I know for sure he can play for Hartford next season should the Rangers choose

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

That happens quite a bit when goalies aren't straight butterfly disciples. You see guys like Varlamov, Quick, and Fleury all get tagged with that "unorthodox" style moniker because they're just not comfortable being in a tight position all the time. Shesty is very much the same way. Even Hank has his own tweaks, most notably how deep in net he plays, that take advantage of his reflexes and athleticism.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad