News Article: TSN's Boston Bruins game plan

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Love the snarkasm... not sure if I just made up a word there.

"Brad Marchand, who has gone from being an effective pest to a star who still has some troubling behavioural attributes that he needs to remove from his game. He says that he’s going to try to fix that, but we’ll see next season if he’s got the problem licked.

"Ryan Donato had a terrific junior year at Harvard, and scored five goals in five games for Team USA at the Olympics, before adding nine points in 12 regular-season games for the Bruins. So, naturally, he was a healthy scratch for most of the postseason, appearing in just three games...

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Bruins sign Derek Ryan, Jakub Jerebek and Jonathan Bernier.

I don't put too much stock in the names dropped in these TSN game-plans. If Khudobin does walk, Bernier is one of the better UFA back-up options available IMO.

I thought his assessment of Noel Acciari was spot on, highlighting how limited a player he is at the NHL level, even in his own zone. Bruins need to find a way to get Noel into a 13th F role this year and not a regular line-up fixture.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
2017 first-round pick Urho Vaakanainen is in the pipeline, but he’s still just 19-years-old, and the rest of Boston’s defence prospects are kind of lean at the moment

Zboril
Lauzon
Johansson

K, bud.

I wouldn't call that lean even after the Carlo, McAvoy and Grzelyck promotions. 3 1st or second year players in the bigs and two 1st round picks and 1 second in the minors. I think that's solid, but I do expect them to draft a D with the 2nd or 3rd.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Love the snarkasm... not sure if I just made up a word there.

"Brad Marchand, who has gone from being an effective pest to a star who still has some troubling behavioural attributes that he needs to remove from his game. He says that he’s going to try to fix that, but we’ll see next season if he’s got the problem licked.

I see what he did there. Clever lad, that one.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I don't put too much stock in the names dropped in these TSN game-plans. If Khudobin does walk, Bernier is one of the better UFA back-up options available IMO.

I thought his assessment of Noel Acciari was spot on, highlighting how limited a player he is at the NHL level, even in his own zone. Bruins need to find a way to get Noel into a 13th F role this year and not a regular line-up fixture.
Bingo. Boston absolutely needs to upgrade its 4th line if it is to be a serious Cup contender. We all saw how important a good 4th line is during the playoffs. Boston's 4th line as currently constructed cannot hold a candle to the elite teams.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
Bingo. Boston absolutely needs to upgrade its 4th line if it is to be a serious Cup contender. We all saw how important a good 4th line is during the playoffs. Boston's 4th line as currently constructed cannot hold a candle to the elite teams.

I don't mind having Kuraly on the 4th but I think Acciari and Schaller were overrated on these boards. We don't need slow, only defensive players who have a lot of defensive zone time because they can't get the puck out.

However, I don't know who would be good on the 4th line that's currently in our system. Just not somebody like Anton Blidh.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
I don't mind having Kuraly on the 4th but I think Acciari and Schaller were overrated on these boards. We don't need slow, only defensive players who have a lot of defensive zone time because they can't get the puck out.

However, I don't know who would be good on the 4th line that's currently in our system. Just not somebody like Anton Blidh.
Ryan Fitzgerald

Reactions: Flannelman

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010

Yeah, Kuraly is fine on the 4th line provided he has better linemates. This is where a GM taking a chance on someone like a DSP at a cheap price can really help out.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I like the idea of signing Jonathan Bernier. I agree with Cullen that Rask is no longer a top-tier goalie, and we've seen that he plays better the more rest he gets. Bernier has played nearly 40 games the last three seasons and he has two years where he played nearly 60 (putting up decent numbers). He's 3 years younger than Dobby too.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
Ryan Fitzgerald

Yea, that's one of the people I was thinking about. I don't watch Providence so I didn't see him play last year but his numbers don't look great and he's a small guy. Can he be a fit in a 4th line role in today's NHL?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I like Cullen but this was like my cousin I see a few times a year writing a summation of my family.

Good job considering he has 31 teams but it was pretty weak based on my up close knowledge

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
I like the idea of signing Jonathan Bernier. I agree with Cullen that Rask is no longer a top-tier goalie, and we've seen that he plays better the more rest he gets. Bernier has played nearly 40 games the last three seasons and he has two years where he played nearly 60 (putting up decent numbers). He's 3 years younger than Dobby too.

I like Dobby but Bernier is a decent option and should be cheap enough. I think the schedule the Bruins have been dealt recently has really screwed them. So many games late in the season. Rask played less games this season but I think he's still playing too many games to end the year. Somebody like Holtby only played 8 games from the start of February to the end of the regular season to Rask's 13.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
Yea, that's one of the people I was thinking about. I don't watch Providence so I didn't see him play last year but his numbers don't look great and he's a small guy. Can he be a fit in a 4th line role in today's NHL?
Had 21 goals his first year in the A. Plays bigger than his size in that he is feisty and plays with energy. I think putting him with Kuraly would be fun to watch and would be an upgrade on Schaller.

Reactions: Mpasta

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad