TSN's 10 most skilled players

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
I didn't even bother watching it, because I knew it would be a sham. (Although I did crack a smile when I tuned in and saw Gilbert Perrault in the top 10). I saw their top 10 hitters, and they lost all credibility when Nik Kronwall was at No. 10. (I'm a Kronwall fan; I think he's a top 15-20 defenceman in the game, and he just needs an opportunity for everyone to realize it). But is Kronwall a top 10 hitter ever? Far from it.

Rule of thumb: if you're going to be on this list, you should be a gimmie for a first-ballot HHOFer. Datsyuk will probably get in if he has a couple more seasons like 07-08 or 08-09. Bure's 0-5. (Keep swinging, Pavel). Kent Nilsson isn't mentioned among the best not in the HHOF. Anyone who knows hockey realizes that Kovalev won't make it. Way too many negatives.

Kent Nilsson had maybe the best set of hands I've ever seen. He truly was the Magic Man. But you're going to rate him ahead of Beliveau, Hull, Mikita, the Rocket and Lafleur? Yikes.

I think they needed a broader definition of skill. We talk skill from an offensive perspective. But it's much more than that. I think Bob McKenzie said it best in "Hockey Dad" when he said that competitiveness is a skill. If it is, and it most certainly is (ask anyone who makes money in hockey in an on-ice or management capacity, and they well tell you as much), then you can scratch Kovalev and Nilsson from that list.

Its a list of skills only and probably flashy stick skills. Not skills-career or how well they used their skills on a regular basis. Mikita and Hull isnt better than Kent Nilsson when it comes to that. This is also why a guy like Denis Savard is on the list.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I suppose the sarcasm icon wasn't big enough ruste.

Of course I was kidding.

But every june-aug there are youtube clips of 17 year olds with highlight reel goals and the promise of the next pavel bure or joe sakic. Yet the vast majority of these players (chistov, zherdev, schremp, there are dozens more) never have any impact in the nhl.

Stick skills look great in junior. In the nhl, rarely do stick skills matter. Give me a player who goes to the net like ryan smyth and I want him on my team every time.

For every denis savard there are hundreds of wellwoods, schremps, robert nilsson, etc.

oh. looks like i blew that one. in fact, i didn't even know that :sarcasm: means sarcasm. i thought it meant hmmmm. thanx.

Banks3rdLineCenter

Jun 25, 2008
New York City
The problem with this list is that it's not consistent. They sort of went half and half. They didn't want the top of the list to be filled with flashy scrubs like Kovalev but if they're trying to go purely off stick skills than Gretzky really doesn't belong. If it's NOT just about stick skills than Kovalev doesn't belong.

IMO, Kovalev may have a place on the list but not nearly that high. I think Kovy gets a lot of credit when it comes to "skill" talk because of all those ridiculous videos of him doing tricks in practice. As far as undressing D-men, I would have been much more terrified of having to defend against guys like LaFleur, Jagr or Bure than Kovalev.

Scott1980

Apr 27, 2010
Toronto
Orr (natural ability)
Gretzky (mindpower)
Lemeuix (raw skill and strength)
Howe (Career and longevity)
Lafleur (grace)
Hull (shot speed)
Plante (Inventions)
Richard (Heart)
Ferguson (Fighting)