OT: TSN webpage

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
does anyone know if there is a way to get the old webpage back? or I'm I stuck with their updated website?

it's garbage. on my eyes.

TVA sport did the same and I don't think you can get the old version back.....

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
does anyone know if there is a way to get the old webpage back? or I'm I stuck with their updated website?

it's garbage. on my eyes.

They launch a new site design 2 weeks before reg season. I'm getting 404 not found when I try to get Melnick in the afternoon etc.

Un ****ing believable.

If you're going to re design and launch a mainly hockey site (that worked fine by the way), do it in August. :shakehead

What a bunch of ****ing Pejorative Slurs.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
It's like a smartphone website layout but on computer

Pretty much my reaction to RDS' redesign a while ago. I guess that's the direction most of these sites are going in.

The TSN redesign is pretty ugly IMO but whatever, I'll get used to it. They had their old design for like a decade so I suppose they were due for a facelift.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
At first glance... Do not like. With them losing the broadcast rights to the NHL, it may force my hand to migrate to another sports news site.

Shadow Journal

Non, je ne regrette rien
Jun 20, 2003
I guess I'm in the minority: I like it. Much better than the old site, which IMO was starting to look/feel very dated.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
It's like a smartphone website layout but on computer

Yes, it's called mobile first.

Great improvement over the garbage that they were stuck with for years. The font didn't even scale on the old website making it impossible to read anything on high resolution devices.

The only issue I have with the new design is that it's fixed max-width again. But I will fix it with custom CSS quick enough.

Last edited:

Shadow Journal

Non, je ne regrette rien
Jun 20, 2003
The only issue I have with the new design is that it's fixed max-width again. But I will fix it with custom CSS quick enough.

That's the only issue I have as well. How does one fix it exactly?

Edit: Oh, I guess I do have another issue – the video player appears to be the same garbage flash one they've been using for ages.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006

Here's a quick style I threw together for tsn.ca that keeps it at 95% of the browser window.

Code:
.content-wrapper .content, .section-header, .section-header-homepage **
    max-width: 95%;
}

.byline **
    display: block;
}

Mind you, the leading article section looks bad because of the white space to the right. I'll experiment with resizing the image later and/or putting some content there.

P.S. Replace ** with an opening curly bracket as the site filters it out for some reason.

http://i.imgur.com/JY1axS7.png

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Is that seriously the new design? I was sure it was showing the mobile page by accident.

The web is quickly moving away from mobile versions of sites. From now on you will increasingly see unified versions that render nicely on any device/platform.

Just because HFBorads is stuck in the 20th century doesn't mean the rest of the internet is.

Shadow Journal

Non, je ne regrette rien
Jun 20, 2003
Here's a quick style I threw together for tsn.ca that keeps it at 95% of the browser window.

Code:
.content-wrapper .content, .section-header, .section-header-homepage **
    max-width: 95%;
}

.byline **
    display: block;
}

Mind you, the leading article section looks bad because of the white space to the right. I'll experiment with resizing the image later and/or putting some content there.

P.S. Replace ** with an opening curly bracket as the site filters it out for some reason.

http://i.imgur.com/JY1axS7.png

Definitely helps.

I added:
Code:
div **
    text-align: justify;
    text-justify: inter-word;
}

div.article-content p **
    margin-right: 26%;
}

To make the preview text for the articles below the headline article justified, and not so close to the images. [I've never messed with CSS before, which may be obvious, but this did what I wanted it to do.]

Edit: Yeah, this was clearly not the best way to do that. If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00