News Article: TSN Top 50 players

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I don't care who was polled for this. Toews at #3? Spezza at 38?

Although he was injured last year (and still ppg) he was coming off a season 4th in the league in scoring, while being one of the best faceoff guys in the league, and carrying a rookie team into the playoffs.

12. Henrik Zetterberg
13. John Tavares
14. Henrik Lundqvist
15. Ryan Getzlaf
16. Patrice Bergeron
17. Ryan Suter
18. Anze Kopitar
19. Drew Doughty
20. Duncan Keith
21. Henrik Sedin
22. Jonathan Quick
23. Zach Parise
24. Corey Perry
25. Daniel Sedin
26. Martin St. Louis
27. P.K. Subban
28. Eric Staal
29. Rick Nash
30. Alex Pietrangelo
31. Logan Couture
32. Marian Hossa
33. Kris Letang
34. James Neal
35. Joe Thornton
36. Matt Duchene
37. Jamie Benn

Those people all listed ahead of Spezza. Literally.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Reputations are going to be more carefully earned and slow to dissipate among the guys who actually do this for a living.

I still think it's better than the ESPN stuff.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Yes, you are all better talent assessors than NHL GMs and coaches.

In general, sure. Doesn't mean they don't make obvious mistakes. And thought processes change when you're handling big money, that's just a reality of it, but sometimes being careful doesn't lead to better accuracy.

HF Fan: There are lots of players more skilled than Toews and I'd prefer to watch them.

GM: All I care about is winning, and all Toews does is win. It appears he's always a big factor.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
I don't care who was polled for this. Toews at #3? Spezza at 38?

Although he was injured last year (and still ppg) he was coming off a season 4th in the league in scoring, while being one of the best faceoff guys in the league, and carrying a rookie team into the playoffs.

Those people all listed ahead of Spezza. Literally.

It obviously has to do with him being injured last year. And frankly, that SHOULD factor into these kind of rankings.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Homer for sure, but it's kind of interesting to see certain players discounted for their injury history (Spezza, Karlsson lesser ) and others not (Crosby), oh well pretty meaningless list i guess which changes frequently

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Homer for sure, but it's kind of interesting to see certain players discounted for their injury history (Spezza, Karlsson lesser ) and others not (Crosby), oh well pretty meaningless list i guess which changes frequently

Crosby's cemented as the best player in the league, and whenever he comes back from injury all eyes are on him and he puts up 4 points or something. Can't complain.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Started watching this last night. I lasted until Lucic got ranked ahead of Kessel.

I'll hate me some Leafs all day, but Lucic higher than Kessel?!

l0l, come on TSN.

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O
Should have stopped reading after 'TSN' .

Also, how Bobby Ryan is not in the top 50 and gets passed over AGAIN is beyond me. He is definitely better than a guy like Mikko Koivu as far as I'm concerned.

Bob Kudelski

Mar 8, 2006
Ottawa, ON
Spezza that low doesn't surprise me given his injury troubles but what really surprises me is Marty St. Louis so low after the season he just had.

darglor

Feb 17, 2012
Should have stopped reading after 'TSN' .

Also, how Bobby Ryan is not in the top 50 and gets passed over AGAIN is beyond me. He is definitely better than a guy like Mikko Koivu as far as I'm concerned.

Mikko Koivu is awesome and a bigger factor at both ends of the rink than Ryan ever was. Also, Center > Wing. In a vacuum, I'd trade Ryan for Koivu straight up if they were the same age.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
:laugh: While I didn't expect him to be quite that low it just goes to show you how over rated Spezza is on here & how most NHL people who matter don't think he is a top 10 centre in the NHL. I surprised more on here don't see that after watching him in the preseason give the puck away with regularity, I think that hurts him.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
:laugh: While I didn't expect him to be quite that low it just goes to show you how over rated Spezza is on here & how most NHL people who matter don't think he is a top 10 centre in the NHL. I surprised more on here don't see that after watching him in the preseason give the puck away with regularity, I think that hurts him.

You didn't expect him to be that low because you don't lose sight of him when he's injured the way everyone else does.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
For all those saying "TSN list, stopped there", it is a list made by NHL coaches and GM's.

I was thinking that this list was outstanding compared to any others I've seen and then I read this and realized why. The coaches and GMs really get that there's two ends to a hockey rink and numbers alone don't tell the whole story.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

How you know it's an accurate list?... LOTS of Canadians. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad