News Article: TSN Top 50 players

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
Yeah, kinda disturbing to see certain players ahead of Spezza. Injuries clearly playing a factor here.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Karlsson is ranked where expected, he has missed a lot of hockey last year and he is still not a 100%. It’s a testament to the kind of player he is for the coaches/gms to be choosing him at 11 despite him missing most of the season last year to the calf injury. The early return, and the subsequent sub-standard performance, probably didn’t help his case.

That being said, a 100% healthy Karlsson is a top-3 player in my book. Only Crosby (the best player) and Stamkos (the best goal scorer) are arguably better, and the homer in me will probably still pick Karlsson over Stamkos.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Yup. If Spezza wasn't injured last year and had his typical .8-.9 ppg season, he'd prob be in the top 20

PaGEEsBack

tell a friend
Aug 6, 2013
Spezza's biggest problem with these types of rankings is that he's too consistently good from year to year. Sure the guy scores ppg, but he's been doing that for what, almost 10 seasons now? Old news brah.

These publications are always looking for the next new thing. How many players have we seen labeled "OMG 3rd best player behind Crosby/Malkin" in the last few years? Toews, Tavaras, Giroux, Ovechkin, blah blah blah. All these guys make an early splash in their careers and all of a sudden its easy to forget the guy who's already over ppg through 600 NHL games played.

Spezza>NHL

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
In other news, what on earth has Zach Parise done to elevate him over Martin St Louis? Speaking of a guy who gets no respect (although maybe they just wanted to have him at 26 for symbolic reasons, but then Luongo should be ranked #1)

littleD

Seems like a fine ranking, because all these rankings will forever and ever be useless. Made for nothing more than fan bases to get up in arms over their guy being too low or their rival being too high.

I mean, HOW DARE THEY rank Thomas Vanek above Mikko Koivu!! THE NERVE!

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Stamkos and Tavares too low. Stamkos should be 3. I actually think Karlsson was top 5 based on his play last year pre-injury, but I fully understand having him lower because he didn't get the chance to play at that level long enough.

I think Bergeron is too low as well. His stats don't compare to Toews, but they play in entirely different systems and I think each is as effective as the other, I'd have both in the 5-10 range.

The other guy that looked too low (by a good chunk) was OEL. He's a fantastic player imo.

dan1el

Oct 16, 2011
I have no problem with putting Chara above Karlsson. The big problem with that last thing is having Toews at 3. I say he should drop to eleven, and bump everyone else up.

Also, Spezza, Kessel, and Hall should all be higher.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
Yeah, he probably should be.

People seem to forget that after a slow start, Ovechkin won the Richard and Hart.

and what is all the "should be higher" nonsense? They polled GMs and coaches...

Last edited:

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
He'd have been the top Dman had he played all of last year.

Aaron Ward's an analyst I find myself agreeing with all the time, and again when he staggered for words in describing Karlsson and his "endless possibilities".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad