Post-Game Talk: TSN Tipping Point

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
We have been through this many times nobody wants our garbage castaways not even for free! JJ waived clears Ennis waived clears. The only player anyone wanted was Forsberg and that seems to a personal vendetta that Waddell has for KH.
Then add a sweetener. Give up a pick or a b level prospect if you have to. There was absolutely no reason to return to Smith. There’s always an excuse for this franchise when other teams manage to make things work.

Reactions: Brown Cat

CravenMH

Aug 6, 2020
Prussell whenever he's in the lineup is one of our hardest working north players. Simple honest play, getting pucks down ice. Doesn't produce a lick of offense usually but nice play on a goal last night.

The bottomsix needs help to limit some carnage I guess, and this player doesn't hurt you.

Agree, he brings some hustle and sandpaper. I don't know what it is about that guy but other teams don't like him. He can draw alot of penalties with his play. We need some of that in the lineup.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Then add a sweetener. Give up a pick or a b level prospect if you have to. There was absolutely no reason to return to Smith. There’s always an excuse for this franchise when other teams manage to make things work.
Agreed they should have not gone back to Smith but what other options were there? We tried on 3 goalies and they didn’t want to play ball or in Markstrom case wanted a ridiculous contract that this fan base would have lost it over. Besides the biggest issue as it has been for the 20 years is Defense we can’t seem to sign anyone or trade for anyone that doesn’t either have baggage or is past their expiry date.

so to sum it up good D men don’t want to play here because of sub par goaltending. And good goalies don’t want to play here because of sub par D men and round and round we go!

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Holland put together a good team, but he also hit some home runs on guys drafted very late (Lidstrom, Datsuyk, Zetterberg, etc) thanks to his scouts, and an awful lot of good fortune. Once those guys retired and moved on, his team has not been very good, and his drafts haven't been fantastic. Coupled with a top end payroll ability, he hasn't done a whole lot lately. Hopefully he can find some of that '90's Red Wing magic for us.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Turris is getting absolutely torched out there. Not just on 5 on 5, he's bleeding goals on the pk too.

Turris getting carved like this makes me think we might benefit from RNH anchoring the 3rd line.

Neal - McD - Kassian
Kahun - Drai - JP
Turris - RNH - Yamamoto
Ennis - Shore - Chiasson

Sure our top 6 lacks punch, but this is sort of the kind of depth Montreal is running, and it's working for them having KK and Toffoli scorch teams from the 3rd line.

Reactions: Duke74 and Oilhawks

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Holland put together a good team, but he also hit some home runs on guys drafted very late (Lidstrom, Datsuyk, Zetterberg, etc) thanks to his scouts, and an awful lot of good fortune. Once those guys retired and moved on, his team has not been very good, and his drafts haven't been fantastic. Coupled with a top end payroll ability, he hasn't done a whole lot lately. Hopefully he can find some of that '90's Red Wing magic for us.

Holland was good at two things:

1. Spending copious amounts of money

2. Spending money on scouting in Europe, sending Hakan Andersson to find gems at a time when NHL teams weren't really doing it

Once the rest of the NHL caught up on scouting + the internet + a salary cap came, Holland squeezed out one more cup with the men he had left and since has shown to be unable to really adapt.

Saying that - what do the Oilers have this summer? A copious amount of cap space. If the Oilers don't do anything again playoff-wise, he'll be under pressure to build a winner. He'll spend like a mad man.

Whether that's a good thing or a Chiarelli thing is what we'll wait and see on but the Stephen Weiss, Justin Abdelkader and Frans Nielsen contracts don't give me a ton of hope - not to mention Zack Kassian.

You could give Holland credit on keeping Tyson Barrie's $$ low - but I do think that was role-based. Flat cap though, maybe more bargains are to be had.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Why not give Yams a chance with topline? There are zero direct scoring plays involving Yama or Drai yet this season. There were zero in the play ins, its uncanny. They just don't connect with each other. I can't find the last time an EV scoring play involved either Yama or Drai getting the first assist on the others goal. I'm checking back to last season.

I mean Drai and Ennis even connected twice in the play ins on goals, and Drai only had Ennis for 2 of the games.

This is no knock on Drai, or Yama, they just cannot connect on a scoring play without an intermediary. I mean, they can potentially, but its bizarre how its gone.

Game before last Drai setup Yama 5 times around the net. Nothing cashed. Late in game McD slides one pass across to Yama and its a goal. Its kind of hilarious. Must be something wrong with the Drai sauce passes..;)

Don't really understand the negativity towards Yamamoto. He's been the most consistent player on the team.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think the plan always was to acquire Kuemper or Raanta once the season got underway at some point with Klefbom on LTIR. And I think they should still pursue that.

Its not Koskinen's fault but having say a Kuemper-Kosko tandem helps check off a key part of the equation on the back end.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I think the plan always was to acquire Kuemper or Raanta once the season got underway at some point with Klefbom on LTIR. And I think they should still pursue that.

Its not Koskinen's fault but having say a Kuemper-Kosko tandem helps check off a key part of the equation on the back end.
Yes, lets also not forget Holland went hard after Markstrom despite having Koskinen and no cap space.

Barrie, Kahun were plan B and C targets.

Can Turris be chalked under poor pro scouting? Or are we still giving him more rope?

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Turris getting carved like this makes me think we might benefit from RNH anchoring the 3rd line.

Neal - McD - Kassian
Kahun - Drai - JP
Turris - RNH - Yamamoto
Ennis - Shore - Chiasson

Sure our top 6 lacks punch, but this is sort of the kind of depth Montreal is running, and it's working for them having KK and Toffoli scorch teams from the 3rd line.
I would love if Tips tried this for tomorrow. We seem to be better at this than him.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
I think Turris can be be salvaged if you play him with McDavid or Draisaitl. He still has a killer shot release as we saw on his goal.

He's just not a checking line player but that doesn't mean he's not useful.
He cannot play on a checking line, you are right. he doesn't have the wheels for it at all. He is miscast. If Dave gets his head out of his a** and improvises a little, they could turn things around a little.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Having two decent goalies > one, no matter how you slice it.
You can only have one goalie on the ice at a time. If you substitute in a goalie for Kostco that isn’t any better then you aren’t gaining any benefit to the team for a $4M+ cap hit...no matter how you slice it.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
He cannot play on a checking line, you are right. he doesn't have the wheels for it at all. He is miscast. If Dave gets his head out of his a** and improvises a little, they could turn things around a little.
I don't think its his wheels stopping him from being a good checker it's the sporadic loss of defensive awareness, he just zones out for little periods of time not keeping ideal positioning for himself and losing track of people he should be checking. Speed would only make it easier to recover from his lapses in focus, it wouldn't correct the central issue at play.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
i love Roli for his 2006 playoff performance but other than that, i remember him being pretty underwhelming/average

the oilers have not had a consistently elite starting goalie (talbot had 1 good year) in over 2 decades. makes me sad
Yes he should have said I miss Cujo the last true number 1 that played here.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Yes, lets also not forget Holland went hard after Markstrom despite having Koskinen and no cap space.

Barrie, Kahun were plan B and C targets.

Can Turris be chalked under poor pro scouting? Or are we still giving him more rope?

Give Turris another week of games. I feel like he should play wing with a skilled C

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00