Post-Game Talk: TSN Tipping Point

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Give Turris another week of games. I feel like he should play wing with a skilled C
I think Holland is hell bent on keeping Nuge with McD because Nuge plays C defensively and McD hangs around the blue line playing wing.

Turris-McD-Pulji

Turris can play Nuge's role and has familiarity with Pulju

RNH-Drai-Yama

Nufff said

Neal-Kahun-Kassian

Try Kahun at C. He has played it before.

Reactions: Duke74

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Turris-McD-Puljujarvi

RNH-Drai-Yama

Neal-Kahun-Kassian
I could get behind trying that for a few games.
Don't really understand the negativity towards Yamamoto. He's been the most consistent player on the team.
Not sure that post should be interpreted as negative. It’s a fantastical theory imo (the idea that Drai and Yamamoto can’t combine on scoring plays), especially when Yamamoto has in fact converted a beauty pass from Drai in game one of the season. But a post suggesting a promotion for Yamamoto to the first line doesn’t seem ‘negative‘ to me.

Last edited:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I think Holland is hell bent on keeping Nuge with McD because Nuge plays C defensively and McD hangs around the blue line playing wing.

Turris-McD-Pulji

Turris can play Nuge's role and has familiarity with Pulju

RNH-Drai-Yama

Nufff said

Neal-Kahun-Kassian

Try Kahun at C. He has played it before.
I trust Neal more defensively than turris

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You can only have one goalie on the ice at a time. If you substitute in a goalie for Kostco that isn’t any better then you aren’t gaining any benefit to the team for a $4M+ cap hit...no matter how you slice it.
But... you have both. So if one struggles or gets hurt, you go to the other. We're not replacing Koskinen, I don't know where you got this idea from.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
But... you have both. So if one struggles or gets hurt, you go to the other. We're not replacing Koskinen, I don't know where you got this idea from.
That if Allen plays he would be replacing Kostco in net...not sure what’s so hard to understand. Kostco hasn’t struggled or been hurt, so adding a $4.3M backup would be wasted space so far this season.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
That if Allen plays he would be replacing Kostco in net...not sure what’s so hard to understand. Kostco hasn’t struggled or been hurt, so adding a $4.3M backup would be wasted space so far this season.
But you have to play your backup at some point. As of right now we have none. And judging by what Tippett said this morning, we're not going to have one for a while. There's no rest for Koskinen and he could be burnt out real soon.

This is a compressed schedule where every game matters, and right now we're forced to play our starter (who is playing just okay, by the way) and we have no other option. Allen isn't replacing Koskinen, he's backing him up in place of Smith, who never should've been signed. That's the entire deal about this. You bring in a second solid (and non-injured) goalie to ensure you always have a goalie ready to roll.

Holland badly f***ed up the goaltending situation.

Reactions: Porkleaker

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
But you have to play your backup at some point. As of right now we have none. And judging by what Tippett said this morning, we're not going to have one for a while. There's no rest for Koskinen and he could be burnt out real soon.

This is a compressed schedule where every game matters, and right now we're forced to play our starter (who is playing just okay, by the way) and we have no other option. Allen isn't replacing Koskinen, he's backing him up in place of Smith, who never should've been signed. That's the entire deal about this. You bring in a second solid (and non-injured) goalie to ensure you always have a goalie ready to roll.

Holland badly f***ed up the goaltending situation.
You’re really upset about not having $4.3M of cap but not playing every night lol. You were the most vocal about trading Eberle for cap space and not using it. Now you’re ranting about not having dead cap space not playing and sitting on the bench.

guaranteed if we had a $4.3M backup going into the season you would have complained non stop about it.

Reactions: Porkleaker and TB12

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You’re really upset about not having $4.3M of cap but not playing every night lol. You were the most vocal about trading Eberle for cap space and not using it. Now you’re ranting about not having dead cap space not playing and sitting on the bench.

guaranteed if we had a $4.3M backup going into the season you would have complained non stop about it.
If the alternative was Smith? Nope. We just got news today that Smith will be out for a while. So that was a sound investment. Plus it’s for one year so it’s by no means a huge commitment. Re-signing Smith was a mistake and now our entire season hinges on a goalie that’s been average so far. Missing the playoffs should be inexcusable at this point.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
If the alternative was Smith? Nope. We just got news today that Smith will be out for a while. So that was a sound investment. Plus it’s for one year so it’s by no means a huge commitment. Re-signing Smith was a mistake and now our entire season hinges on a goalie that’s been average so far. Missing the playoffs should be inexcusable at this point.
You’d rather hinge our entire season on a average $4.3M backup...you’d rather have dead cap space sitting on the bench every night. Show me one post diring the off-season where you advocated for the Oilers to trade for Allen or shut up.

honestly it’s just so predictable that you would complain and be super negative about it either way. Really no point in talking hypotheticals with you as there’s always something that could have been done better so your MO of always being negative about everything wins every time. Team wins 5-0 and you either don’t post at all or post saying it could have been 6 or 7-0 instead.

Reactions: Porkleaker

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You’d rather hinge our entire season on a average $4.3M backup...you’d rather have dead cap space sitting on the bench every night. Show me one post diring the off-season where you advocated for the Oilers to trade for Allen or shut up.

honestly it’s just so predictable that you would complain and be super negative about it either way. Really no point in talking hypotheticals with you as there’s always something that could have been done better so your MO of always being negative about everything wins every time. Team wins 5-0 and you either don’t post at all or post saying it could have been 6 or 7-0 instead.
Allen > our current backup situation. Koskinen again the second best goalie on the ice tonight.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
So you never once advocated for trading for Allen?
I can't advocate for trading for a player that I didn't know was available because I'm not paid millions of dollars to do that and I have no insider knowledge.

I can tell you that I didn't advocate for bringing back the same goalies that didn't get the job done for us last year.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I can't advocate for trading for a player that I didn't know was available because I'm not paid millions of dollars to do that and I have no insider knowledge.

I can tell you that I didn't advocate for bringing back the same goalies that didn't get the job done for us last year.

so you didn’t advocate for trading for Allen or a $4M+ backup at all then? Everyone knew he was on the block for two years after Binnington led them to a cup.

you’re proving my point for me. You crap all over every move that is made. That way if it doesn’t work out perfectly you can whine and complain and say how right you were, but you never make suggestions of what you’d want done before.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
so you didn’t advocate for trading for Allen or a $4M+ backup at all then? Everyone knew he was on the block for two years after Binnington led them to a cup.

you’re proving my point for me. You crap all over every move that is made. That way if it doesn’t work out perfectly you can whine and complain and say how right you were, but you never make suggestions of what you’d want done before.
On the contrary, you back up this sorry management no matter how poorly they perform. If you're happy with how the team is doing right now, bleeding goals from substandard goaltending and defense, then good for you.

Again, it's not my job to know who's available and who isn't. I don't get paid for that, and I was FAR from the only one crapping on re-signing Smith. It was a predictably bad move that somehow has turned out even worse than we imagined. There were many goalies that moved over the course of the offseason and we opted to stay the course even though that clearly wasn't going to be enough. I wanted Markstrom, but I know that probably wasn't going to happen. I would've even settled for Holtby.

The team is in 29th place right now. They're three (likely soon to be four) games under .500. What would you call that? How can anyone praise management when the team is this bad? AGAIN?

I actually thought Holland had a decent offseason, Smith signing aside. I praised the Barrie and Turris deals. Hell, the post I linked earlier was the first one where I said I didn't like it.

Do you know why I don't make suggestions? Because I freely admit I don't know the value of players, who's available, who wants to go where, etc. I didn't know Allen was available until he was traded (and for a very small return at that).

I don't know who this team should have signed or traded for in the offseason. I only suggested Allen. I can tell you that even before the season began I knew that Koskinen/Smith was a mistake. What happened? It was a mistake. In fact most of the fanbase knew it was a mistake. Sorry, but Holland struck out and the season is going quickly down the tubes with no solution in sight. But don't worry, there's always next year with this team.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible

That's like a TMac attitude, gotta keep Lucic playing instead of letting 6mil sit on the bench for sucking. I was all for trading Lucic instead of Maroon, he's only went on to win 2 cups since. God I hate this team right now lol.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
On the contrary, you back up this sorry management no matter how poorly they perform. If you're happy with how the team is doing right now, bleeding goals from substandard goaltending and defense, then good for you.

Again, it's not my job to know who's available and who isn't. I don't get paid for that, and I was FAR from the only one crapping on re-signing Smith. It was a predictably bad move that somehow has turned out even worse than we imagined. There were many goalies that moved over the course of the offseason and we opted to stay the course even though that clearly wasn't going to be enough. I wanted Markstrom, but I know that probably wasn't going to happen. I would've even settled for Holtby.

The team is in 29th place right now. They're three (likely soon to be four) games under .500. What would you call that? How can anyone praise management when the team is this bad? AGAIN?

I actually thought Holland had a decent offseason, Smith signing aside. I praised the Barrie and Turris deals. Hell, the post I linked earlier was the first one where I said I didn't like it.

Do you know why I don't make suggestions? Because I freely admit I don't know the value of players, who's available, who wants to go where, etc. I didn't know Allen was available until he was traded (and for a very small return at that).

I don't know who this team should have signed or traded for in the offseason. I only suggested Allen. I can tell you that even before the season began I knew that Koskinen/Smith was a mistake. What happened? It was a mistake. In fact most of the fanbase knew it was a mistake. Sorry, but Holland struck out and the season is going quickly down the tubes with no solution in sight. But don't worry, there's always next year with this team.

You don’t even have the balls to be honest. Everyone knows why you never make any suggestions and instead only complain about everything that isn’t perfect. It’s the same reason why you never post on GDT when the team plays well. You’re afraid to put anything on the line. You’re afraid to be wrong, so instead you look for things others did wrong and criticize them. It’s incredibly cowardly IMO. The difference is I cheer for the Oilers, I don’t run and hide and not post when they’re playing well, I cheer for them whether they’re winning or losing, you only post when things aren’t great.

Sure the Smith signing didn’t work out and Holland deserves heat for that. But I’m not going to ignore that he tried to sign every other FA goalie first before circling back to Smith. I’m not going to ignore that everyone knew Allen was available and everyone would have called Holland’s head of he had traded for an average $4.3M backup either.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad