Rumor: TSN reports Pacioretty/Marchessault being shopped

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Team needs to move about 400k net (125 over and 275 bonus from last season) in a few weeks to be compliant even with a taxi squad. With a twenty man roster.

It's possible there's some cap gymnastics they could do by waiving Holden and putting him on the taxi squad and still playing him a majority of the games (unclear as those days he would count fully on the roster) but everything would be super tight.

Some trade probably has to happen in a month or so to feel comfortable and possibly take advantage at the deadline of a team out of the playoffs and looking ahead to the expansion draft. But they aren't so desperate that they can't swing a decent deal if the player traded is a good player.

Edit:

Crunching the numbers some on cap friendly it seems Vegas could send Holden and Fleury through waivers for the taxi squad and probably open enough room to account for some amount of IR that players are bound to need.

So the team could possibly get through the season without a trade, but would probably prefer if they could swing a deal that makes sense.

Should mean Marchessault or Pacioretty should return nice trade piece, if they do get traded, because Vegas doesn't have to do it.

Last edited:

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
You waive Fleury and put him on the taxi squad and have Dansk back-up when Lehner is starting and call up Fleury when you want him to start. You bank most of $300k by doing that. No one is claiming Fleury and his $14 million, they couldn't give him away before. Then by waiving Dahlstrom they are cap compliant with a 20 man roster. They can start banking cap to deal with call ups. They can also send Glass to the taxi squad since he is waiver exempt.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Someone will get hurt, I don't think they are even worrying any more about the cap with the taxi squad and the ability to send MAF to it on nights he isn't starting. I don't think Glass makes sense on it because they don't have a good center to use in his place. Seventh D certainly figures to be sent to it as well.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Someone will get hurt, I don't think they are even worrying any more about the cap with the taxi squad and the ability to send MAF to it on nights he isn't starting. I don't think Glass makes sense on it because they don't have a good center to use in his place. Seventh D certainly figures to be sent to it as well.

They would have to go to LTIR and be out twenty four days at least to help with the cap, and then it's not totally straightforward reactiviating them depending on our cap use. It would also need to be a player making significant money.

If players go to IR that hurts our cap situation.

The schedule is likely to be brutal to players, I think they'll need more IR room. Still think a trade has to happen if not before the season then early in the season. A small trade would do but I think they need at least a Holden sized contract traded. More if they want to swing a deal with the expansion draft in mind.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I am still not really happy about this offseason.

I mean sure getting Petro was awesome.

But losing Schmidt and Statsny sucks and the thought of losing Patches or Marchy as well to get cap complaint sucks even more.

Would the Knights really have to lose someone else if they just bought out Fleury?

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
They're still signing Ovechkin in the offseason though, right?

I'm growing less optimistic of them even swinging a good expansion draft deal. I think we are a team that isn't good at budgeting. Probably a side effect of having so much money on the business side they don't have to worry about it there.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I'm growing less optimistic of them even swinging a good expansion draft deal. I think we are a team that isn't good at budgeting. Probably a side effect of having so much money on the business side they don't have to worry about it there.

They're even less good at convincing players to fake a severe allergy or waiting to opt for season ending surgery to get under the cap.

Reactions: Vegan Knight

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I am still not really happy about this offseason.

I mean sure getting Petro was awesome.

But losing Schmidt and Statsny sucks and the thought of losing Patches or Marchy as well to get cap complaint sucks even more.

Would the Knights really have to lose someone else if they just bought out Fleury?

The money would really hurt after two years when literally all of our big RFA's (Glass, Hague, Whitecloud, Roy, Dugan, Elvenes) are due new contracts and Smith would be up that year also. The next season would still have money on the books and McNabb would be up.

There is an interesting thought experiment though I think Knights fans could be pretty evenly split on. Would you rather have that failed Pacioretty trade go through at the draft, assuming it was disappointing, or the Schmidt trade we got.

I would rather that Pacioretty trade went through and we kept Schmidt.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
They would have to go to LTIR and be out twenty four days at least to help with the cap, and then it's not totally straightforward reactiviating them depending on our cap use. It would also need to be a player making significant money.

If players go to IR that hurts our cap situation.

The schedule is likely to be brutal to players, I think they'll need more IR room. Still think a trade has to happen if not before the season then early in the season. A small trade would do but I think they need at least a Holden sized contract traded. More if they want to swing a deal with the expansion draft in mind.

Math still is what it is. MAF and whoever else isn't going to play onto the taxi squad and they get there and build up a little room. On the occasional nights he starts they can have him up too and send a guy like Reaves or Holden for a day and things are still under control. Sure it would be nice to have space and of course there are some interesting options to work the expansion draft if only they have room, but they can manage it as necessary until someone inevitably gets that LTIR level injury and more space is created. And on top of it, I'm sure a MAF trade is still a possibility, but where he might go isn't known yet because injuries or bad bouts of ineffectiveness to goalies have not yet happened. If you are a team that realizes you can make the playoffs but you are going nowhere without a reliable guy in net, maybe you make the MAF deal at TDL and then you don't have to deal with half a year of his cost and the Knights are closer to the point where they might be willing to take on some of it.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Roslovic, who was rumored to have been traded for Schmidt initially, has officially asked for a trade.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Martinez flipped for him.

Reactions: Vegan Knight

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Roslovic, who was rumored to have been traded for Schmidt initially, has officially asked for a trade.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Martinez flipped for him.

I don't think I'd hate it but our defense would look sort of iffy for a contender even with the two superstars. I guess they can try to accrue cap space and use their advantage of the expansion scenario to try to swing a good deadline deal for a top four defenseman if we're struggling.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I feel that Tuch stepped up in the playoffs so he's finally showing more flashes of what he can be. I think it's because he's got a steady chick and not mr single millionaire partying it up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad