Injury Report: TSN reports Kessel and Bozak out with lower body injuries

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
No one is arguing against wanting a fit and healthy team. They're arguing against your accusations that Phil is unfit and that you seem to know his training regiment

Where did I say I knew his training regimen? I raising the issue of fitness and training as a possible reason for the team's slide, Kessel's fatigue(no one has rebutted this)and Bozak's frequency of being hurt, and perhaps these 2 injuries this preseason. There is merit discussing our training methods aren't there?

I don't think anyone would assert we are at the head of the class in terms of fitness and strength given how we are consistently outshot, out corsi'd, outlasted by other teams last year.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I think it's fair to assume that the Olympics were a significant factor in Kessel and JVR burning out at the end of last season, which is understandable.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I think it's fair to assume that the Olympics were a significant factor in Kessel and JVR burning out at the end of last season, which is understandable.

That's what I think .. Plus the season before was a shortened season too with no west coast travel, those two factors could have contributed to him fading down the stretch

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
That's what I think .. Plus the season before was a shortened season too with no west coast travel, those two factors could have contributed to him fading down the stretch

On the surface this is a logical argument, but teams with many more Olympians didn't fade down the stretch as visibly as our 2 stars.

Doughty was playing 23+ mins a game down the stretch and well into the playoffs. I can't buy that the Olympics were a factor, not unless there is a good reason why other teams like Chicago that had more Olympians than any NHL team cruised into the playoffs with Toews looking good deep into the playoffs until they were eliminated.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I believe it was also widely speculated that Kessel had a wrist injury near the end of the season.

On the surface this is a logical argument, but teams with many more Olympians didn't fade down the stretch as visibly as our 2 stars.

Doughty was playing 23+ mins a game down the stretch and well into the playoffs. I can't buy that the Olympics were a factor, not unless there is a good reason why other teams like Chicago that had more Olympians than any NHL team cruised into the playoffs with Toews looking good deep into the playoffs until they were eliminated.

There are variables to consider -like how 'hard' are the Hawks and Kings practices compared to Carlyle's (something he was criticize when he was fired from the Ducks)

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009

Either that or they are tired and out of shape

Olympics did not affect Doughty,Kopitar,brown, Quick carter or voyonov. Didn't have much effect on Lundqvist, st louis, nash, haglen, mcdonaugh etc.

Stop making excuses for them - they crapped the bed in the last month and a half.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I don't know if having a new strength and conditioning coach would help, but it is something Shanis need to investigate. Being properly fit and trained is good prevention for injuries.

Kessel has not missed a single game in four straight seasons.

Don't think this is a strength and conditioning issue....

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

Didn't help that Carlyle ran 3 lines for the entire season, relying way too heavily on Kessel and JvR.

Good to see Orr and the tough guys seem to have, at this point with one week left until the regular season, have been banished in favor of a more mobile 4th line that can play.

...wait, what?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Either that or they are tired and out of shape

Olympics did not affect Doughty,Kopitar,brown, Quick carter or voyonov. Didn't have much effect on Lundqvist, st louis, nash, haglen, mcdonaugh etc.

Stop making excuses for them - they crapped the bed in the last month and a half.

The other thing those players have in common is they play on good Teams.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The other thing those players have in common is they play on good Teams.

Has it occured to you the reason why they are good teams is because their best players are less gassed than our best players for 82 games, Olympics, and playoffs (for some)?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Has it occured to you the reason why they are good teams is because their best players are less gassed than our best players for 82 games, Olympics, and playoffs (for some)?

Of course that never occurred to me, that makes no sense.

Delicious Dangles*

Has it occured to you that the reason they are less gassed is because they have a good team and a support structure that puts less reliance on any one individual star?

Which also results in less crazy cherry-picked analysis of their stats, even when they go through the exact same things.

Justin Williams - 7 points in last 15 games. Also 0 points in first 3 games of playoffs. Why does this player slow down so much near the end? Must have horrible conditioning by your logic, right?

Tell me just one thing. Who won the Conn Smythe? :)

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
Bozak hurt again, he is starting to resememble Lupul as the most fragile player on the team.

Bozak I can believe he is hurt but our boy Kessel is too wise to put his body in harms way. Kessel was probably smashed and didn't want to end up hurting himself on the boards by blowing a tire.

The more I think about it the more I like Phil. Hek, the way he takes care of himself he'll be top flight for us until he is 40 years old. :)

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Has it occured to you that the reason they are less gassed is because they have a good team and a support structure that puts less reliance on any one individual star?

Which also results in less crazy cherry-picked analysis of their stats, even when they go through the exact same things.

Justin Williams - 7 points in last 15 games. Also 0 points in first 3 games of playoffs. Why does this player slow down so much near the end? Must have horrible conditioning by your logic, right?

That shouldn't have required further explanation.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
The Leafs have been in the bottom half of the league in total # of man games lost due to injury for the past 3 seasons, their strength and conditioning can't be that bad.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
Bozak's health is starting to become a concern. Missed a large amount of games last season and most of training camp/pre-season. Hopefully it doesn't continue.

And how can anyone question Kessel's conditioning when he hasn't missed a game in 4 years. :loony: Just an excuse to talk trash about him.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

I've been saying this for ages. You can say anything you want about conditioning or fitness levels. But let's break it down this way.

The average hockey shift is about .30 to .45 seconds.
one could argue elite players play about 1.00 -1.10 (and that's pushing it).
the average team has a split time in offensive and defensive zones.

Toronto Last year spent half the game, every game in their own zone, average over 1.00+ in shift time. and I'm being generous here. (this is just an estimation). When you're continuously hemmed in your zone, chasing the puck, etc will be taxing. Add to this a short season (where this play was prevalent), the Olympics, being tasked to carry the offense for a horrendous back six in the terms of offensive output, and add an unreported wrist injury to Phil and something lower body (remember his doughnut pillow?) for JVR, they pooped out.

I don't think conditioning could have made a difference.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
We can all read a stats sheet, a point you missed was why did he slump noticably late last season. Do you have any good ideas? He was 100% healthy wasn't he?

Lol so you're knocking him for playing injured? Crosby has played banged up and his injuries were revealed post playoffs. Crosby isn't training properly!

Seriously it's preseason, players don't want to play meaningless games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad