News Article: TSN: Ranks Core Under 24 (2017 vs. 2018)

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
https://www.tsn.ca/core-4-under-24-...dN7StUcA8GGlX1uRC8bSet8XNrJrTsL6AeQ7GLUldRqRA

TSN will rank the 2018 cores under 24 Wed. Nov.14th. The link above was 2017 for comparison. Wings were ranked 25th last year.

25. Detroit Red Wings
Larkin C/LW
Manth RW
Athanasiou C
Rasmussen C

I wonder if Bert or Cholo supplant Ras in the new rankings. Bert should've been there last year...Why would Ras have been in last years rankings to begin with?

EDIT: 2018 link...
https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/mcdavid-carries-oilers-to-top-of-core-4-under-24-list-1.1209806

Last edited:

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
https://www.tsn.ca/core-4-under-24-...dN7StUcA8GGlX1uRC8bSet8XNrJrTsL6AeQ7GLUldRqRA

TSN will rank the 2018 cores under 24 Wed. Nov.14th. The link above was 2017 for comparison. Wings were ranked 25th last year.

25. Detroit Red Wings
Larkin C/LW
Manth RW
Athanasiou C
Rasmussen C

I wonder if Bert or Cholo supplant Ras in the new rankings. Bert should've been there last year...Why would Ras have been in last years rankings to begin with?

I would have to assume they are looking at potential opposed to present day value. I think its fair to believe Ras has a higher ceiling then Bert.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI

25. Detroit Red Wings
Larkin C/LW
Manth RW
Athanasiou C
Rasmussen C

If they put Ras last year I'm guessing they'll include zadina this year. Is it only 4 players? If so they'll put him above mantha I'd guess.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Wings are just outside the top ten at number eleven. Zadina took the place of mantha as I suspected he would. They have mantha as being aged out. That can't be right can it? He's already 24?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I can’t really agree with who is being given an ‘A’ vs ‘B’ here.

Plus I f we have 4 ‘A’ level guys, why aren’t we ranked higher?

Rasmussen is an ‘A’ while Nolan Patrick is a ‘B’ ???... That’s ridiculous in my book.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Wings are just outside the top ten at number eleven. Zadina took the place of mantha as I suspected he would. They have mantha as being aged out. That can't be right can it? He's already 24?
Yea him and AA turned 24 before the season.

Reactions: Syckle78

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I can’t really agree with who is being given an ‘A’ vs ‘B’ here.

Plus I f we have 4 ‘A’ level guys, why aren’t we ranked higher?

Rasmussen is an ‘A’ while Nolan Patrick is a ‘B’ ???... That’s ridiculous in my book.
I'm guessing not all letter grades are equal. But they should of said that or had plus and minus with em.

Whoever did the grades must be high on Ras and have a low opinion of Patrick. Like really values potential and negatively views Patrick's rookie season and injury concerns,idk. Or may be he's a wings fan and hates the flyers. /Shrug

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm guessing not all letter grades are equal. But they should of said that or had plus and minus with em.

Whoever did the grades must be high on Ras and have a low opinion of Patrick. Like really values potential and negatively views Patrick's rookie season and injury concerns,idk. Or may be he's a wings fan and hates the flyers. /Shrug

Quick search says he’s from Philly and used to cover the Flyers.

Weird stuff...not a big fan of this article, but the season Larkin and Cholowski are currently having is making me feel better about our young core pieces.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ezekial

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

Maybe the logic is that while Patrick is a better player, he is a "B" center, while Rasmussen is an "A" winger. I know Rasmussen is technically a center and this may be a stretch in logic, but maybe thats what the writer was going for.

Or he just thinks Ras is a better player overall which would be very surprising.

If he did cover the Flyers, he also could very easily have a bias.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Just read the article, the legend is quite simple/clear:

Legend
a-player.jpg
No. 1 goalie, 1st pair defenceman, 1st line forward
b-player.jpg
No. 1 goalie, 2nd pair defenceman, 2nd line forward
c-player.jpg
Depth goalie, 3rd pair defenceman, 3rd/4th line forward

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Maybe the logic is that while Patrick is a better player, he is a "B" center, while Rasmussen is an "A" winger. I know Rasmussen is technically a center and this may be a stretch in logic, but maybe thats what the writer was going for.

Or he just thinks Ras is a better player overall which would be very surprising.

I have more of an issue with the pessimistic ranking of Patrick than the optimistic ranking of Rasmussen, FWIW.

In my eyes if that kid is a ‘B’, then plenty of others should be too. Kind of throws the whole thing off for me.

Reactions: ricky0034 and kliq

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
I agree with Larkin and Cholowski as 1 & 2. I would still put Zadina at 3rd, with Hronek as 4th. Rasmussen would slide to 5th on my list.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Just read the article, the legend is quite simple/clear:

Legend
a-player.jpg
No. 1 goalie, 1st pair defenceman, 1st line forward
b-player.jpg
No. 1 goalie, 2nd pair defenceman, 2nd line forward
c-player.jpg
Depth goalie, 3rd pair defenceman, 3rd/4th line forward
I'm guessing he sees Rasmussen as a top line winger then.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I have more of an issue with the pessimistic ranking of Patrick than the optimistic ranking of Rasmussen, FWIW.

In my eyes if that kid is a ‘B’, then plenty of others should be too. Kind of throws the whole thing off for me.

Ya that's very odd. The kid was a borderline lottery pick just over a year ago.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Ya that's very odd. The kid was a borderline lottery pick just over a year ago.

And he has 7 pts in his last 7 games. 9 pts in 15 games while averaging under 13 min a night. He’s a freaking good young player buried on a team that is really good down the middle.

Like I get Reinhart being a B, but Patrick should be a different story. Makes me question all the other ratings quite frankly.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018

Nolan Patrick has bust written all over him IMO.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
And he has 7 pts in his last 7 games. 9 pts in 15 games while averaging under 13 min a night. He’s a freaking good young player buried on a team that is really good down the middle.

Like I get Reinhart being a B, but Patrick should be a different story. Makes me question all the other ratings quite frankly.
I agree, I've watched a couple Flyers games too, kid hasn't been a disappointment in any definition - he'll be a solid player in this league, it's evident. It has to be the guy strictly going by the legend he provided and sees him as a 2C. Which, again, is something I've shown a lot of contempt for around here, trying to define a player when there's absolutely no predication of ceiling.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
25 still looks about right to me.
We pretty much know how good Larkin can be in the NHL. We've got Cholowski who has shown extreme promise at the NHL level. We have Rasmussen off to a pretty good start at the NHL level. We have Bertuzzi who has 33 points in 73 NHL games.

Then we've got guys with tons of potential in Zadina and Hronek.

Then, you think Berggren is going to be the best player on the team... but you think that equals 25th best in the league??? You really need to re-evaluate your expectations of young players.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
We pretty much know how good Larkin can be in the NHL. We've got Cholowski who has shown extreme promise at the NHL level. We have Rasmussen off to a pretty good start at the NHL level. We have Bertuzzi who has 58 points in 73 NHL games.

Then we've got guys with tons of potential in Zadina and Hronek.

Then, you think Berggren is going to be the best player on the team... but you think that equals 25th best in the league??? You really need to re-evaluate your expectations of young players.
The list is for 2018. Berggren doesn't play on the red wings yet. Nice try.Zadina is eligible to be called up and played preseason with Detroit.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Nolan Patrick has bust written all over him IMO.

As someone who lives in Philadelphia and gets to watch him a lot, he looked very, very good in the second half of the season last year. Remember, he missed a lot of hockey coming out of his draft year and in his +1 made the Flyers. Obviously Patrick isn’t Matthews or MacKinnon, but I think he still devleops into a good first line center. And with Couturier and Frost there, they have some nice center depth going forward.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The list is for 2018. Berggren doesn't play on the red wings yet. Nice try.Zadina is eligible to be called up and played preseason with Detroit.

Denisenko and Heponiemi are on the list but not in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad