OT: TSN poor coverage of Canadian teams

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
To be honest, I'm pretty pleased for the most part.

We get a lot more coverage than American teams get, particularly given the size of our city.

H2O

Sep 18, 2005
I'm good with the under exposure, the internet specifically this board helps a lot with that.

Iggy77

Oct 5, 2009
Ottawa, ON
If you've been a Sens fan for any amount of time you should be used to this by now. It will never change. All small markets have to deal with this, it's not any bias against Ottawa.

If we somehow win the Stanley Cup, the front page on TSN the next day will be about the Leafs offseason.

Just be happy with the coverage we do get and visit blogs and twitter to get news on the team.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
I'm not infering that Smeddy thinks this but I find in general well spoken non athletic males are not well recieved in sports media. People don't like to think when they switch on the game or highlights. It upsets them. Same reason why guys like Healy and Shawn Simpson are able to have careers in talking.

I definitely get what you're saying, but I dislike him for pretty much the opposite reason. He seems to think that only experts should be allowed to talk about hockey, he has to be one of the more ignorant analysts when it comes to opinions other than his own.

Last week on tsn radio
"people that like advanced stats use them because they don't understand hockey "

@stevekouleas
Corsi is a waste of time let's leave the hockey to the hockey experts!

and my personal favourite:

@stevekouleas
Let me say this...nobody who works in hockey believes it...go to a coach or GM and ask them a question on it...see what happens..

Which got a response from the GM of the Soo Grey Hounds:

@kyledubas 3 Jun
@SheldonKeefe @stevekouleas Steve, would love to share with you how truly valuable Corsi is and how we practically use it.

Steve didn't respond...

He's ignorant and dismissive, that is why I don't like him. His fake excitement for everything gets on my nerves too, but that isn't that relevant.

sanityplease

Jun 21, 2011
TSN,RDS & CTV owned by Bell (Bell also has an %18 stake in the Habs)

Rogers sportsnet owned by Rogers.

TML's recently acquired by Bell & Rogers.

Bad news for the rest of Canada's teams. Expect biased coverage to continue (& maybe get worse). They are going to push & grow their product.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
If we somehow win the Stanley Cup, the front page on TSN the next day will be about the Leafs offseason.

We got a ton more exposure after our finals run in 2007. The key is and always has been being the last playoff team standing in Canada. We'll never get as many eyeballs on TV as the Leafs and Habs do, but forcing people to watch us by winning a Cup or being a conference finalist is the only way to go.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
We got a ton more exposure after our finals run in 2007. The key is and always has been being the last playoff team standing in Canada. We'll never get as many eyeballs on TV as the Leafs and Habs do, but forcing people to watch us by winning a Cup or being a conference finalist is the only way to go.

Its always going to be that way. Even when the Sens were the dominant regular season team in the league and the Leafs were beginning their playoff dry spell, the Leafs were still the lead story and first game shown on the highlights.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
TSN,RDS & CTV owned by Bell (Bell also has an %18 stake in the Habs)

Rogers sportsnet owned by Rogers.

TML's recently acquired by Bell & Rogers.

Bad news for the rest of Canada's teams. Expect biased coverage to continue (& maybe get worse). They are going to push & grow their product.

Not biased, proportionally representative. Its a big difference

sanityplease

Jun 21, 2011
Not biased, proportionally representative. Its a big difference

Hard to prove those #'s. You'd have to watch which teams get the airtime (including games, commenting & special features). Then, compare that with the number of fans that each team has in the Nation.

If the #'s aren't equal, there's a bias. (Which is what most fans, other than the ones of the team in Southern Ontario believe)

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I definitely get what you're saying, but I dislike him for pretty much the opposite reason. He seems to think that only experts should be allowed to talk about hockey, he has to be one of the more ignorant analysts when it comes to opinions other than his own.

Last week on tsn radio

and my personal favourite:

Which got a response from the GM of the Soo Grey Hounds:

Steve didn't respond...

He's ignorant and dismissive, that is why I don't like him. His fake excitement for everything gets on my nerves too, but that isn't that relevant.

I can see why you'd feel this way. I guess I don't mind it because I find I often agree with him. I feel the exact same way about advanced stats to be honest. Or at least people who only really care about them. Its a seriously flawed field.

Not to get too off topic, but I'd love it if the NHL could consistently keep track of scoring opportunities, passes completed and touches of the puck. I think it'd really lend to that field.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
I can see why you'd feel this way. I guess I don't mind it because I find I often agree with him. I feel the exact same way about advanced stats to be honest. Or at least people who only really care about them. Its a seriously flawed field.

Not to get too off topic, but I'd love it if the NHL could consistently keep track of scoring opportunities, passes completed and touches of the puck. I think it'd really lend to that field.

It's not the fact that he doesn't like advanced stats, I realize it's a controversial topic right now. However, saying that 1) People who like advanced stats don't know anything about hockey, 2) Hockey analysis should be left to the "experts" and 3) Corsi isn't used by any professional gms/coaches/scouts is enough for me to discredit anything else he has to say.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata

And ya, the sooner some type of professional/official company starts tracking "advanced" stats the better. Right now it's pretty much up to random bloggers.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
Kouleas isn't worth listening to. Actually, most people on TV who talk about hockey aren't worth listening to, because they will only say what they are allowed to say, and not what actually needs to be said.

As for the Sens not being given equal coverage as the Laffs and the Smurfs, it shouldn't come as any kind of surprise. That old news really.

Also, anyone who tells you that fighting needs to be taken out of NHL hockey should be ignored completely. They clearly don't understand the culture of the NHL and the way that players interact with one another.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Also, anyone who tells you that fighting needs to be taken out of NHL hockey should be ignored completely. They clearly don't understand the culture of the NHL and the way that players interact with one another.

Disagree, I personally want fighting to stay in hockey, but there are plenty of valid reasons why it shouldn't be.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
Disagree, I personally want fighting to stay in hockey, but there are plenty of valid reasons why it shouldn't be.

Not enough reasons to actually take it out, which to my mind, invalidates any opinion of removing it from the game.

Hockey needs fighting. If you take out fighting, you have to take out hitting. If you take out hitting, you're not playing hockey anymore.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Not enough reasons to actually take it out, which to my mind, invalidates any opinion of removing it from the game.

Hockey needs fighting. If you take out fighting, you have to take out hitting. If you take out hitting, you're not playing hockey anymore.

Well the fact that people have died fighting in hockey is enough for a lot of people.

There is no fighting in a lot of junior levels and hitting still exits.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
It's not the fact that he doesn't like advanced stats, I realize it's a controversial topic right now. However, saying that 1) People who like advanced stats don't know anything about hockey, 2) Hockey analysis should be left to the "experts" and 3) Corsi isn't used by any professional gms/coaches/scouts is enough for me to discredit anything else he has to say.

Yep. Totally agree with you here.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Pay to play with the big boys. If Melnyk wants more coverage, partner up and pay.

That has nothing to do with it. The major networks cater to the biggest markets with the biggest fan bases.

It makes sense from their point of view, but can be annoying to the smaller market teams.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Not necessarily, you pay into the market... Kinda like the **** music we have to listen to on the radio...

That has nothing to do with it. The major networks cater to the biggest markets with the biggest fan bases.

It makes sense from their point of view, but can be annoying to the smaller market teams.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
I can't be upset at any of the media coverage. It's just business.

What really grinds my gears are ottawa-area leafs fans that bash the Sens fans for being overrun by leafs fans in the CTC. Dude. You're the problem. You're gloating over your own decision to not support a local team.

I know that fans who grew up with a favourite team romanticize their allegiance. But come on. Be a fan of the local club too.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

What really grinds my gears are ottawa-area leafs fans that bash the Sens fans for being overrun by leafs fans in the CTC. Dude. You're the problem. You're gloating over your own decision to not support a local team.

I know that fans who grew up with a favourite team romanticize their allegiance. But come on. Be a fan of the local club too.

Its gotten better over the years. I know a lot of local Leaf fans who support Ottawa if they aren't playing the Leafs.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Not necessarily, you pay into the market... Kinda like the **** music we have to listen to on the radio...

So by that logic, when the Sens were spending to the cap they should have had the exact same amount of coverage from all the major networks.

Which they didn't.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

This. So much this!

I work in a fairly large business, and I can count the number of Sens fans in the place on one hand! Yet there are tons of Habs, Leafs, Hawks, Bruins, and Pens fans in the place. There are even more Canucks and Wings (before #11) fans in the place than Sens fans.

The Ottawa area fanbase feels more like an "anyone but the Sens" fanbase most of the time. :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad