TSN enters the radio Biz.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Mike Richards will host their morning show. He was working for The Fan 960 (Sportsnet Radio) before.

The sports broadcasting war between CTV and Rogers are going to be very interesting.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
it's bell vs rogers now.

bell is in the process of buying CTVGlobeMedia (though thompson will keep the globe).

My guess is that TSN radio will source content from the TEAM network as well (CHUM, owned by CTVGlobeMedia), which includes sports radio stations in Montreal, Ottawa, Winnipeg, Vancouver.

edit: yeah, it seems i'm right. The plan is launch a new flagship in toronto, and rebrand the existing chum sports radio stations.

http://radioinsight.com/blog/netgnomes/32257/tsn-takes-the-next-steps-towards-its-radio-network/
Domains have been registered to coincide with the rebranding of CTV’s Sports stations under the TSN Radio branding. TSNRadio990.com for “Team 990†CKGM Montreal, TSNRadio1040.com for CKST Vancouver, TSNRadio1050.com for the aforementioned CHUM in Toronto, TSNRadio1200 for “Team 1200†CFGO Ottawa, TSNRadio1290.com for “Sports Radio 1290†CFRW Winnipeg, and TSNRadio1410.com for “Team 1410†CFTE Vancouver. The .ca variants of all those domains were registered by CTVglobemedia’s registrar of choice as well.

The TSN name will do well in toronto, but the TEAM brand is strong in Ottawa (the flagship), Vancouver, and Montreal. I dont know if i'd be happy with the name change in Ottawa or Montreal.

One thing to consider is content. Yeah, sports talk is good for the morning hours, but most of the live content is locked up in toronto. 20 argos games isnt going to cut it. It will take time before TSN can bid on those contracts, and until then the station will be irrelevant in the evenings.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes them to get the needed content.

TSN Radio 1050 will also have exclusive access to all programming from the ESPN Radio Network.
this is a good sign though. Not sure if ESPN had any programs on other toronto stations, but exclusivity for some of their flagship programs, especially rome, will help this new station. I also wonder whether this will mean no more ESPN radio MLB broadcasts for the FAN.

Last edited:

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Fantastic, I just hope they talk hockey at different times, so I can change the dial when one blinks and starts talking BBall or Baseball.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
it's bell vs rogers now.

bell is in the process of buying CTVGlobeMedia (though thompson will keep the globe).

My guess is that TSN radio will source content from the TEAM network as well (CHUM, owned by CTVGlobeMedia), which includes sports radio stations in Montreal, Ottawa, Winnipeg, Vancouver.

edit: yeah, it seems i'm right. The plan is launch a new flagship in toronto, and rebrand the existing chum sports radio stations.

http://radioinsight.com/blog/netgnomes/32257/tsn-takes-the-next-steps-towards-its-radio-network/

The TSN name will do well in toronto, but the TEAM brand is strong in Ottawa (the flagship), Vancouver, and Montreal. I dont know if i'd be happy with the name change in Ottawa or Montreal.

One thing to consider is content. Yeah, sports talk is good for the morning hours, but most of the live content is locked up in toronto. 20 argos games isnt going to cut it. It will take time before TSN can bid on those contracts, and until then the station will be irrelevant in the evenings.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes them to get the needed content.

this is a good sign though. Not sure if ESPN had any programs on other toronto stations, but exclusivity for some of their flagship programs, especially rome, will help this new station. I also wonder whether this will mean no more ESPN radio MLB broadcasts for the FAN.

With tsn inking a deal with major league soccer and tour de france and they broadcasts every cfl game i don't think content will be much of a issue.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
FAN does broadcast ESPN overnight, but I don't see a Richards + ESPN Radio simulcast translating well for TSN.

I doubt its just Richards and ESPN simulcast will be all they have. They have too many insiders and personalities to not have original afternoon and evening shows.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
With tsn inking a deal with major league soccer and tour de france and they broadcasts every cfl game i don't think content will be much of a issue.

i was under the impression that TFC will stay with the FAN on the radio, and really how big of a draw is the tour de france on the radio.

on the other hand, the leafs may be available soon, which would be huge and pretty much guarantee the success of the station:

Globe and Mail - 2008
AM640, as the Leafs' radio rights holder, is an MLSE business partner. The station, owned by Corus Entertainment, is in the third year of a seven-year contract that pays MLSE between $1.5-million and $2-million a year. It's the most lucrative radio deal the club has ever signed.

which would mean next year is the final year of the contract with AM640.

and then this:
http://torontosportsmedia.com/sports-and-toronto/640-toronto-sports-business/10032
A number of independent sources are telling me that high level decisions are being made at AM640 Toronto to wave the white flag to sports programming. This, I am told, could very well include the end of the Bill Watters Show.
One source also indicates that AM640 may even forgo its final season as the play-by-play home of Toronto Maple Leafs hockey.
There are several reasons for this change. I am told that executives at AM640 realize the stations isn’t going to renew radio rights for the Maple Leafs once its contract is up.

my guess is that TSN and FAN would then be left to bid against each other for the new leafs contract, as early as this summer if AM640 forgo`s its final season.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
i was under the impression that TFC will stay with the FAN on the radio, and really how big of a draw is the tour de france on the radio.

on the other hand, the leafs may be available soon, which would be huge and pretty much guarantee the success of the station:

Globe and Mail - 2008

which would mean next year is the final year of the contract with AM640.

and then this:
http://torontosportsmedia.com/sports-and-toronto/640-toronto-sports-business/10032

my guess is that TSN and FAN would then be left to bid against each other for the new leafs contract, as early as this summer if AM640 forgo`s its final season.

I beleave tsn owns the national rights for toronto fc and vancouver so with that i would assume they could air the 24 games on tsn radio.

puckguy11

This Space for Rent
Jan 31, 2010
Somewhere in MN
Here's the TSN Radio lineup per TSM:
Starting April 13:

Mike Richards in the am
Dan Patrick
Jim Rome
Drive Home Show

They’ve also added Argo football.

Lots of "meh" for a Toronto audience IMO. Patrick is the best American sports talk show, while Rome brings much-needed name recognition but outside of Richards making a run at TBD, FAN 590 has them owned. American sports talk doesn't talk hockey unless it's something earthshattering (i.e. Leimieux's comments or SC) and Toronto first and foremost is a hockey town; y'all live and die with the Leafs. About the only card they play semi-right is the Argos rights, but even that is an iffy asset.

Last edited:

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Dowbiggen says TSN are mulling putting Landsberg up against McCown in the afternoon.

Michael Landsberg of TSN was the guest host this week on Montreal’s Team 990, owned by TSN’s sister company CHUM Radio. So is this a dry-run for Landsberg, host of Off the Record on television, to have a role on the new TSN Radio 1050 in Toronto? “We’ve had a few casual chats,†Landsberg told Usual Suspects Thursday. “I’m not opposed to doing radio so long as it doesn’t impact my preparation for OTR.â€

With TSN planning to fill its midday radio lineup with Jim Rome and Dan Patrick, does this mean he’s going against Bob McCown on The Fan 590?

“I have great respect for Bob. Listen to him all the time. I would not be one of those who’d take the job saying, ‘I’m going to blow him out of the water.’ I’d only do it because it’s afternoon drive and we’ve got great resources here.â€

TSN announced an April 13 startup date for its radio project. Gee, what else happens that day? Rhymes with day-offs. In addition to Mike Richards in the Morning, the station will have Toronto Argonauts broadcasts and has taken over ESPN radio content, which previously was on The Fan.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/bruce-dowbiggin/heritage-classic-a-help-or-hindrance-in-playoff-drive/article1912308/

Last edited:

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
I don't know about a dude from Calgary, I hope he doesn't talk about the Calgary flames all day or something because no one will care about the flames.

Pegger5

Jan 9, 2007
I don't know about a dude from Calgary, I hope he doesn't talk about the Calgary flames all day or something because no one will care about the flames.
He is actually from Toronto but came to Calgary for 5 years. But now he is moving back to TO. Mike Richards is an ex-comedian from Toronto area.

Evil Doctor

Cryin' Hank crying
Apr 29, 2009
Cambridge, ON
I beleave tsn owns the national rights for toronto fc and vancouver so with that i would assume they could air the 24 games on tsn radio.

OMG, the thought of soccer play-by-play on the radio boggles the mind. For some reason an aural image of radio commentary of paint drying comes to mind....:boredom:

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
I understand essentially anyone against PTS is going to fail but having Michael Landsberg against Bobcat really isn't putting your best foot forward, very unlikeable personality who does bland interviews.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I understand essentially anyone against PTS is going to fail but having Michael Landsberg against Bobcat really isn't putting your best foot forward, very unlikeable personality who does bland interviews.

Whichever is talking hockey, I'm there. It's great to have two choices. If MCown is talking about something besides hockey and the other station is talking hockey. I'd bet MCown loses the ratings race for that particular instance.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Does anyone like Lansberg? The guy is pathetic and a terrible interviewer. PTS right now with McCown, Cox, Brunt etc. is very strong. I just wish they'd go back to 4-7.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad