TSN doc on NHL ‘94

Hatfield

Jan 27, 2007

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
TSN Original: The GOAT of Hockey Games - Trailer

I have some strong feelings about this game. On one hand, I played the **** out of it, just like I did all of the Genesis-era EA games. On the other hand, it’s very overrated in the pantheon of hockey video games (for starters, NHLPA 93 and NHL 95-96 are objectively better).

All the same, I’d like to watch this.
NHL 94 was a big deal because it was the first game that had the joint NHL/NHLPA license. Beyond that, It's awesome because it has the classic teams like the Whalers, original Jets, Nords etc.

Again, I wish without wish that they get roster sharing in the PS5/new xbox.
I'm a sucker for classic rosters and I think it would be really fun to make a modern version of like NHLPA 93 or NHL 94.

Hatfield

Jan 27, 2007
NHL 94 was a big deal because it was the first game that had the joint NHL/NHLPA license. Beyond that, It's awesome because it has the classic teams like the Whalers, original Jets, Nords etc.

Again, I wish without wish that they get roster sharing in the PS5/new xbox.
I'm a sucker for classic rosters and I think it would be really fun to make a modern version of like NHLPA 93 or NHL 94.

I know it was the first to have both licenses, but as I remember it wasn’t that big of a deal at the time. And 93 & 95 also had all those pre-relocation teams.

I think “Swingers” caused some confusion. It showed 93 (with blood and beast mode Roenick) but somehow most people came away from the movie believing it was actually 94.

I’d love to play a Genesis-style EA game with updated rosters too. Not interested in playing ROMs on a PC though. They should include it as a bonus mode on current gen games.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
NHL 94 is overrated for sure but it was definitely fun back in the day when I was a kid.

Greatest hockey game of all time is reaching a new level of overrating.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I was a staunch SNES guy as a kid, so I didn't know until years later that the Genesis/SNES versions were noticeably different. I wasted many hours with NHLPA '93 on SNES but I spent so much time with NHL '95 on PC. I got way too OCD with the ability to make trades / create new players / change lines.

s-l1600.jpg

I'll have to check my old hockey cards, but I swear there were a few years in the NHL series where they kept making Joe Juneau right handed. There'd be a handful of players who they'd have incorrect in the game and it always bugged me way more than it should. Then one day I was in a poster shop and they had a random one of Juneau......and the poster even listed him as right handed even though he's clearly a lefty in the photo. So I wonder if it wasn't necessarily an NHL video game bug rather than there was some central repository that had Juneau (and others) listed incorrectly. But yeah, there were editor tools to download for NHL '95 where I could fix mistakes like that. [/coolstorybro]

Obviously the game play isn't nearly as great today, but I do credit the game with learning about players from other teams back when nobody had Internet access and not everybody even had cable TV.

Hatfield

Jan 27, 2007
Couldn't agree more. 95 and 96, especially 96, were my favorites (I played from 93-09). Even after buying each update, I still played '96 for a good 4 years I'd say, it got me through high school for sure.

96 was when they brought fighting back. Finally everything came together.

I wasn’t thrilled with 97. I remember the only new features of note were signature moves and international teams.

CrazyMonkey1208

Apr 9, 2012
This thread brings back so many great memories of how I felt about each of those early NHL games-

NHL Hockey (92) +NHLPA 93= "Haha, scored a goal, caused a fight after and made Tinodi bleed with Probert!"

NHL94= "Wow, we now have logos at center ice, 2 new teams, can check people into the penalty box...but no fighting. I'm going back to NHLPA93.."

NHL95- "FINALLY can play an entire full season out and not just a playoff bracket!"

NHLPA93 was the best. I still have my Genesis hooked up and play it occasionally.

Reactions: Huety Louis

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
NHLPA '93> NHL 94

I basically skipped NHL 94.

My friend owned NHLPA 93 on SNES so I "borrowed" his copy. I thought it was great, and as long you could have the willpower to not cut into the corner and straight across the net (which was basically a goal every time), the games were very challenging, even years later I had epic 6-7 game playoff series against the CPU. Personally I didn't really care about the whole licensing thing.

I would rent out NHL 95, which to me was far superior due to the ability to create your own players.

Boris Le Tigre

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jan 9, 2007
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I basically skipped NHL 94.

My friend owned NHLPA 93 on SNES so I "borrowed" his copy. I thought it was great, and as long you could have the willpower to not cut into the corner and straight across the net (which was basically a goal every time), the games were very challenging, even years later I had epic 6-7 game playoff series against the CPU. Personally I didn't really care about the whole licensing thing.

I would rent out NHL 95, which to me was far superior due to the ability to create your own players.

I played on Sega mostly; the other moves are the slap shot to the glove side, the backhand/forehand deke (or vice versa).

NHLPA 93 had the better fights. The best game for fights is still NHL 92. You could fight after the whistle!

Reactions: BruinDust

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
I have the best of both worlds at the tip of my fingers.

Im actually playing the 1992-93 season with my created rosters with the help of a few gurus on here on my PS4 NHL20.

Attachments

• 20200220_150517.jpg
    20200220_150517.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: Fixxer

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I like 93 and 95 the best. I spent many years of my life playing those games!

But I'd love to watch this doc!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad