TSN: TSN Coaches Poll Names Bergeron Runaway Selke Winner - Eastern Conference

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto
TSN conducted a poll to determine the winners of the "major" individual trophies in the Eastern and Western Conference. Patrice Bergeron won the Selke in a landslide - probably a surprise to very few.

"......And it was no contest in Selke Trophy balloting for top defensive forward - Boston's Patrice Bergeron won in a landslide with no other player getting any appreciable level of support."

Zdeno Chara and Tuukka Rask were finalists for the Norris and Vezina respectively.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=420953

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
He definitely deserves it! I wonder if he'll get any Hart votes, this team's play without him has been absolutely atrocious, and he's easily been our best player this season. Definitely won't win it or be nominated, but I could see a little love for him.

Rask deserves a nomination but I think Bobrovsky has already pretty much won it. Rask will get a good amount of time off now that we've nearly clinched the playoffs, while Bob has to be basically perfect in the last couple of games. We'll see, I think he has a chance. Surprising that Chara hasn't played as well as he has in past seasons but still gets some Norris love. I guess he's the new Lidstrom.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
He definitely deserves it! I wonder if he'll get any Hart votes, this team's play without him has been absolutely atrocious, and he's easily been our best player this season. Definitely won't win it or be nominated, but I could see a little love for him.

Rask deserves a nomination but I think Bobrovsky has already pretty much won it. Rask will get a good amount of time off now that we've nearly clinched the playoffs, while Bob has to be basically perfect in the last couple of games. We'll see, I think he has a chance. Surprising that Chara hasn't played as well as he has in past seasons but still gets some Norris love. I guess he's the new Lidstrom.

Sergei "Jim Carey" Bobrovsky is a cinch for the Vezina... :laugh:

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto

Chara will always get Norris love from me. He is still able to alter the way an attacking player approaches the Bruins' zone. About 10-15 games ago (can't remember which game) Jack and Brick pointed something out. A forward was coming down Chara's wing and he didn't respect the big man's reach. As the forward approached the blueline, Chara poked his stick towards the attacking player, forcing him to pull the puck back for a split second. That split second was enough to delay the puck from entering the zone, thereby putting another forward offside. Whistle blows. Play is dead. A play like that is just as effective as poking the puck away or rubbing a player out.

This may just be my biased opinion but Chara should win the Norris every year. Way too much emphasis is placed on the guy with the most points. I guess it's because people who don't watch these guys game in and game out only have stats to look at. A lot of what Chara does, does not appear on stats sheets, although he is always among the top scoring D-men.

Soderberg

Mar 29, 2011
Even when Chara does deserve it he gets robbed so I have no hope for him winning this year. I will be baffled if Price won Vezina. Huberdeau for Calder.

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
Chara will always get Norris love from me. He is still able to alter the way an attacking player approaches the Bruins' zone. About 10-15 games ago (can't remember which game) Jack and Brick pointed something out. A forward was coming down Chara's wing and he didn't respect the big man's reach. As the forward approached the blueline, Chara poked his stick towards the attacking player, forcing him to pull the puck back for a split second. That split second was enough to delay the puck from entering the zone, thereby putting another forward offside. Whistle blows. Play is dead. A play like that is just as effective as poking the puck away or rubbing a player out.

This may just be my biased opinion but Chara should win the Norris every year. Way too much emphasis is placed on the guy with the most points. I guess it's because people who don't watch these guys game in and game out only have stats to look at. A lot of what Chara does, does not appear on stats sheets, although he is always among the top scoring D-men.

For sure, Subban as the #1 Defenceman in the East is a joke. Habs are drawing a ton of penalties and he is feasting on the PP points with Markov on the point.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Price does not have very good stats, not sure how he was voted the winner over Rask/Lundqvist in the East...

Chieftans22*

Rookie, Coach both questionable. Price for Vezina is pretty funny but Subban/Bergeron for Norris/Selke are solid picks.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
He should be the runaway winner but I'd be shocked if it doesn't go to Toews. His stats are pretty crazy this year (specifically +/- and goals/points, regardless of whether that should matter or not) and some voters may feel he's "due" for whatever reason. I personally don't think he comes close to Bergeron's defensive game, but most voters will probably only look at things skin deep. Honestly, Bergeron should be walking away with this thing every year. I know I'm biased, but the guy is absolutely insane.

Kelly23

Pedroia and Drew
Nov 4, 2010
Boston
At this point I am shocked the Habs did not sweep the awards Price for Vezina really??????? They won't even give him the Pitt game he is no Vezina this year

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I don't see how Carey Price will even be a finalist for Vezina. Should be Bobrovsky, Rask, and either Nieme or Lundqvist. I think there are at least six or seven guys that should be ahead of Price.

don't agree with Subban either; although he should probably be a finalist. 23 of his 36 points are power play.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
For sure, Subban as the #1 Defenceman in the East is a joke. Habs are drawing a ton of penalties and he is feasting on the PP points with Markov on the point.

I don't even think he's the best D-man on the Habs, Markov is a better player IMO.

Edit: that said I don't think Z deserves to be in the mix either. Letang from the East for me, but I like Suter to win it.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
Pk for Norris... Is it official that Norris now stands for best offensive defensemen?

Interesting.

Selke isn't even a contest

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad